Search - random or set arcs?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DSwain

Search - random or set arcs?

Post by DSwain »

Hello,

I've returned to the game after several years away. I've (re) printed the manual and I'm sifting here for all of the excellent advice that people share. I've been reading about naval search. I wanted to ask, what's the latest opinion on the efficacy of setting search arcs vs leaving it random and not setting arcs? I tend to set them myself but I'd love to alternate views.

Thanks

geofflambert

RE: Search - random or set arcs?

Post by geofflambert »

If you set the arc from 0 to 350 it would be something like random. If you don't set the arcs they are commander discretion and that isn't random (or shouldn't be). Usually that is the most reliable way to spot something unexpected. Set the arcs if: 1) you don't have enough search planes available but you want to make sure and cover a certain area, 2) you want to prevent search planes from entering an area with heavy enemy CAP or 3) you have plenty of coverage from multiple bases but want to be sure to catch things in certain areas early in the a.m.
I think you're more likely to use arcs, and I am, for ASW work.

DSwain

Post by DSwain »

Thanks, geofflambert, that sounds like something to really think about.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

This is a real can of worms...both method work, as does a combination approach.

General notes:

naval search goes 360 degrees four range...and then the arc.

pay attention to the color of the arc...you want both morning and afternoon searches most times. Black.

If you transfer a squadron a fair distance, the long range search might only occur in the afternoon or not at all.

Night search with squadrons size four or greater. You want night naval search for a lot of reasons.

You want multiple planes covering the arcs … often times a search plane will return to base after the first detection.

Spotting ships at greater than 12 hexes is tough...coordinating long range naval strikes require high dl among other things.

Try not to base all your search from one location.
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

Many thanks Lowpe for all of that, much of it I hadn't come across/thought about previously.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

I generally don't care about short range search arcs (CVs, FPs) leaving them on full circle. Unless it is a static position where arcs would never change, like a coastal base with a significant land mass you should never search. But I always set up long range search arcs for the flying boats and long range bombers on naval search duty cause their job is early warning, and you usually have a good idea which direction is the most important, and where exactly you should increase your search coverage
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

Thanks GetAssista, that makes sense.
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

I agree with GetAssista when it comes to Task Force search patterns. You have enough to worry about with everything else required for a well-executed turn. Personally, I feel like I would probably forget about a small handful of TFs that I had given specific search arcs to cover, then regretted it all later because I artificially "limited" the TF search pattern then promptly forgot it. Uggh, no thanks. Better to let them do their own thing and concentrate on my PBYs, etc. to get individual areas covered when possible.
I am pretty detail-oriented and obsessed, and even I don't want any more on my commander "plate" than absolutely necessary.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Try doing a search for the topic. There're many threads on the subject.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Yeah, and a ton of conflicting info in all those discussions. Alfred wrote on it once as I recall, strongly suggest you find his thoughts on the matter.
Pax
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Thanks, that's why I posted the question here. I'd read various threads but it's difficult to know what might/might not have been amended with patches etc. As you rightly say, many threads! Thanks everyone for the responses.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Should this search be done randomly or in set arcs though?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

[:D]
There are proponents of both methods, but I suggest using the term "Australian Beauties" in your forum search ... [;)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

[:D]
There are proponents of both methods, but I suggest using the term "Australian Beauties" in your forum search ... [;)]

+1
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Yeah, and a ton of conflicting info in all those discussions. Alfred wrote on it once as I recall, strongly suggest you find his thoughts on the matter.

Yes, find whatever Alfred may have posted on the topic. He is our guru.

TBH, my thoughts are to use the arcs when operating from land bases.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

In 90% of cases I do not use arcs anymore - also I am a micromanager already in other aspects of the game. Ok, as IJ player one needs to be such to a degree. But fiddling with arcs is even too much for me and it is not confirmed they work as designed.

On ships I never use arcs.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: DSwain

Hello,

I've returned to the game after several years away. I've (re) printed the manual and I'm sifting here for all of the excellent advice that people share. I've been reading about naval search. I wanted to ask, what's the latest opinion on the efficacy of setting search arcs vs leaving it random and not setting arcs? I tend to set them myself but I'd love to alternate views.

Thanks

circa ten years ago I posted that the arcs (nice feature if you ask me) were not working. Well, I gave them a try some months ago and... they are still

NOT working.

It's really really simple, no need of complicated kafkaesque tests. Take the PH bomber and patrol squadrons and tell them to patrol x arcs until every angle is covered. They will hardly detect let's say subs.

Now take these very same bomber and patrol squadrons. Random arcs. The bomber squadrons => NavSearch = 10% [aka 1 plane] ASW = 10% [aka 1 plane] and hit end turn. Subs are detected en masse [;)]

Don't bother about this feature, it's *not* working. A lot of work for nothing.

The only doubt I have: maybe with random arcs the squadrons are detecting way too much [;)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

So, just to be clear here TD, you are saying any air assets, whether ship or shore based are better off left w/o defined arcs for search and/or ASW missions?
Sure would save me a lot of time.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

So, just to be clear here TD, you are saying any air assets, whether ship or shore based are better off left w/o defined arcs for search and/or ASW missions?
Sure would save me a lot of time.

Shore based, definitely. It's not a small difference between the two methods. It's literally like night and day [X(] Subs appear like mushrooms vs these clowns are not finding anything (after all the hard work, and I'm a micro management fanboy eh [:D])...
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

Yeah, I wondered why I was not having much luck in finding subs, etc, other than my DD ASW task forces. Alright, you've converted me bro! Auto-arc it is.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”