[Logged] Aircraft Formations

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

StreetF16

[Logged] Aircraft Formations

Post by StreetF16 »

I can't find anywhere in either CMO or CMANO that fighters can be programmed to fly proper tactical formations such as line abreast, sensor trail, etc. The only discussions I've found in the manuals address ship formations, and for aircraft just how to designate a formation lead.

I was hoping these games would offer more, as they are nicely detailed in other regards. Not being able to have the AI fly proper tactical formations means that it can't execute proper tactics, which is a deal breaker unfortunately.
tylerblakebrandon

RE: Aircraft Formations

Post by tylerblakebrandon »

As per the CMO release details aircraft formations can be edited in the formation editor.

https://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4990
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

Sure, you can edit the formations in the formation editor all you want, but the aircraft seem to ignore their actual formation assignments under many- if not all- circumstances.

This might be an issue for tech support thread, I could post there with a save later; your post count might be too low to attach save files.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I've really noticed this recently with aircraft formations really stretching out. When tweaking Fiery Cross Reef I had several 4 aircraft (B-52) formations were three aircraft were in decent formation and the fourth was about a 100 to 150 miles away.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Battelman2

Post by Battelman2 »

Agreed, unless under manual control on a plotted course and not engaged offensive/defensive, aircraft do not seem to respect their assigned formations.
ParachuteProne

Post by ParachuteProne »

I had a pilot and wingman close to 250 miles apart.
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

ORIGINAL: Battelman2

Agreed, unless under manual control on a plotted course and not engaged offensive/defensive, aircraft do not seem to respect their assigned formations.
Yup that's been my experience for the most part as well.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Any save that we can look into ?
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

Some of what is being described here might have to do with this:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4888524

I'll see if I can get a save that isolates a separate issue.

Okay, here is a save file. 'Look Here' flight is set to loiter speed at 36000 ft along plotted course. They have plenty of fuel, etc. I've used formation editor to manually set a line abreast spacing at about 1nm separation. However, they just keep going in their current formation.
Attachments
Aircraft F..on Bug 1.zip
(62.27 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

If the planes are on a mission, then they do seem to fly as per the formation. I created a strike mission and assigned them and they sorted themselves out.
It might be that they don't follow formation when there is only a plotted course.
Michael
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Logged for investigation.

StreetF16

Post by StreetF16 »

I did a little more playtesting. The version 11153 CMO seems to work fine for aircraft formations; but the patched 11474 version does not. Maybe it will get repaired in a future patch?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is 11153 CMO or CMNAO? That looks like a version number for CMNAO without the periods in the right place.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

We'll take another look. This is a very complex issue because different "states" of the formation (Simply enroute to next waypoint? Attacking? Scattering to dodge incoming weapons? etc. etc.) dictate different behaviors.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

To begin with, there is a tweak for this coming on the next official update. Let's see if that is sufficient to resolve this issue.

Return to “Tech Support”