WW3 Scenarios?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
marcusm

WW3 Scenarios?

Post by marcusm »

I am thinking of getting this but I am not sure if they made any of the WW3 scenarios for this? I am mainly thinking of the masterpieces by Trey Marshal and those that I think were based on the GDW World War 3 series. I asked this in the TOAW3 forum but it had issues loading old scenarios.

Were they remade? If not, anyone doing it now?

I see there are a couple but the ones I am thinking of were modules based on various Theatres like the boardgame. There was one for Nordic, Central Europe, Balcans and Persian Gulf.
Deus Vult.
Zovs

RE: WW3 Scenarios?

Post by Zovs »

Yes there is several of Trey's GDW conversion to TOAW III WW3 games. Those TOAW III scenarios were converted to TOAW IV, as far as I know.

If they were not posted, I think I may (or may not) have converted them from TOAW III to IV and posted them, ask Larry or check the scenario add page.

If not then the easy thing is to open that TOAW III scenario in TOAW IV and save it and whala it's converted. Sometimes some of the new things in TOAW IV are not implemented this way but it can still be played.

So the short answer is yes.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Great. I remember that some scenarios from older TOAW were not possible to convert to 3 due to issues. One of these I think, was a problem.

Then this suddenly is on my radar :). I wish someone made native 4 versions as you say. They are some of the best wargame scenarios I have ever played
on a PC at least.
Deus Vult.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

IIRC if it won't convert properly you'll get a big error in your face. The only ones I am aware of that don't work are those that used a modified database file, or some graphical tweaks like the Vietnam ones. But someone is sussing out the Vietnam series and hopefully fixing them.

I also have the other GDW conversions from TOAW III to IV that I converted, not sure if I ever posted them, heck I have created several scenarios (actually back in the old ACOW days and then into TOAW III and IV) but never posted, anyway, the other GDW ones are the Great Patriotic War series, that cover Barbarossa, Blau, Cital and Bagration.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Ah you mean the Scorched Earth sets? The ones that, once you had your units setup. It was time to go home, when you came back some Cat had blitzkrieged the map and it was game over :D.

There was actually a WW3 module I was never able to find. The one covering Nordic Countries. Also, maybe the one covering Balkans (Turkey, Bulgaria etc).

I of course mean that I had all these when I owned the original Game. There was a big gap between that and 3. I still don't have 4. Not sure I have 3 either anymore.
Deus Vult.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

No, they are conversions of GDW's Great Patriotic war game. Called the same thing. The board war game and the TOAW scenarios are Corps level games.

The Scorched Earth GDW game was converted as Fire in the East with various versions, but they are not exact conversions of FitE/SE, they are more or less regimental games and they really went into it with that scenario. The original board war game FitE/SE/Urals is a divisional level game, the mode they made of FITE 1.0, 2.0, 4.0 or whatever is a regimental level game.

I created but never released a FITE version that is only divisional level at one time.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I see. I generally avoid the monster scenarios. As a single player person I prefer the smaller that AI can handle.
That is why the modularized versions were perfect. AI did a decent job for TOAW.
Deus Vult.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

No you misunderstand all of these are small scenarios. I see that I did not convert them, but now I have, I have converted all six and will post the up tomorrow but here are some screen shots:

The Barbarossa scenario (note that the map is 58x60 and there is only 95 vs 88 units):

The Full Russian campaign (note that the map is 58x60 and there is 147 vs 150 units (I need to go back and double check this one the years seem off):

Here is the start of Barbarossa and the Full war zoomed out:

Here is zoomed in view, note there is not a lot of units in this game so it's not a monster:
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I found the four WW3 scenarios, I'll convert them and post them later on today.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I also found 7 more WW3 scenarios, so I'll convert those as well. I also found a WW3 1992 one I'll convert and post.

So that will be 8 WW3 scenarios.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

All files uploaded in the scenario section.

Enjoy (I know I will, lol)...
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

Ah yes now I remember. These were also great. Is Trey Marshall still around btw?
Deus Vult.
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I found the four WW3 scenarios, I'll convert them and post them later on today.

You are a real hero. Thanx. I don't have 4 yet but I will get it soon, sooner now :D.
Deus Vult.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

+1 and welcome to the club
marcusm

Post by marcusm »

I have now checked most scenarios with the new flat counters and map mod and all looks good so far. Beats me why they didn't release 4 with these
type of graphics. This is what old school wargames should look like :). Proper hexes, proper counters and proper maps.

They should put all these as "free dlc" on steam so they can enjoy it more easily (see how the WW2 wargame Strategic Command did it).
Deus Vult.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”