Best or Worst War Movies of All Time

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Simulacra53

RE: Best or Worst War Movies of All Time

Post by Simulacra53 »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

War movie? Would Kramer vs Kramer count?

Sure, no prisoners.

I was thinking Aliens, Starship Troopers (yes, the movie), Edge of Tomorrow and Tropic Thunder myself.
Simulacra53
Free Julian Assange
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well idk about Mulan, i seen alot of bad comments about this new upcoming movie. She did played in alot of good movies, like Outcast, etc.

I think the worst one i ever seen is West World (second season), West World Series is good, but at the end of second season, i see Chinese military there and not sure if that is part of CCP. So that was really disappointed. I dont see how the Chinese can be any parts of this? Just killed the show!
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Difficult to choose a "best" or even a favorite military movie but my top list includes:
1. Cross of Iron
2. Zulu Dawn
3. Zulu
4. Waterloo
5. Lion of the Desert
6. Lawrence of Arabia (can't believe no one mentioned that!)
7. Das Boot
8. Admiral
9. The Duelist
10. Enemy at the Gates
11. Last of the Mohicans

Worst is equally difficult to nail down but I guess I have to mention Battle of the Bulge.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
GibClaret80

Post by GibClaret80 »

My fav war films are Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes must of watched them 1000 times as a kid and always watch every time they on TV.

But other films i think The Longest Day, Cross of Iron Das Boot and Stanlingrad are really good films. Also liked The Cockleshell Heroes and Thin Red Line but too many to choose from but recent ones haven't been that good at all. Apart from Dunkirk for WW2 genre
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

The Good : 1917, Catch-22, Downfall, Battle of Britain, The Longest Day, A Bridge too Far, Patton, Das Boot, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Bridge on the River Kwai.
The Bad : Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot.
The Ugly : Pearl Harbour, U-571.

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: GibClaret80

My fav war films are Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes must of watched them 1000 times as a kid and always watch every time they on TV.

But other films i think The Longest Day, Cross of Iron Das Boot and Stanlingrad are really good films. Also liked The Cockleshell Heroes and Thin Red Line but too many to choose from but recent ones haven't been that good at all. Apart from Dunkirk for WW2 genre
Ah, Kelly's Heroes, such a fine, fine film in so many subtle and not so subtle ways. Glad it got a shout!

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

ORIGINAL: GibClaret80

Ah, Kelly's Heroes, such a fine, fine film in so many subtle and not so subtle ways. Glad it got a shout!

Nice Yugoslavian countryside.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
&#8213; Julia Child

ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

1) Stalag 17
2) The Eagle Has Landed
3) Longest Day
4) Band of Brothers
5) The Young Lions
6) Great Escape
7) Dirty Dozen
8) Full Metal Jacket
9) Deerhunter
10) Outlaw Josey Wales
You don't have to suffer from EJRDS
Massattack

Post by Massattack »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

There are a lot war movies that worth watching and for different reasons, technical aspect, historical, and just pure entertainment, plus other reasons...... I saw Dunkirk at an Imax theatre, the sound and large screen made the movie a special experience. All movies are about enjoyment and entertainment. Back to Dunkirk, one of my all time favourite movie scenes is when the brits are hiding in the beached small boat and the gunfire penetrates the steel hull, the sound frightened the crapper out of me.
warspite1

I'd agree with that and certainly the point about the scene in Dunkirk.

I recall seeing as a kid a program - I don't think it was a film, it might have been a play. I recall there was a small group of British soldiers in a hut (must have been Malaya). It was night time, they were surrounded by the Japanese, and they were closing in. I remember this scene because it really affected me at the time. The actors brilliantly conveyed their fear of what was to come. If I remember rightly we don't see what happens - just a lot of shouting, screaming and gunfire. Horrific.

This sounds like a 1961 movie "The Long and The Short and The Tall", based on play of the same name, starring Richard Todd, Richard Harris, David McCallum and others. Also saw it as a kid and it made a big impression on me as well. Small group of British soldiers in Malaya, take a Japanese scout as prisoner, but the tables are turned at the end of the movie....ominous, and it's play antecedants quite obvious. The things we remember.
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

I hereby nominate, as Best Worst movie, ....

TARZAN versus THE NAZIS (1942?)

for the tantalizing scenes of Tarzan feeding a Nazi to a Lion, Tarzan feeding TWO Nazis to "Cannibal Fish" (piranhas), and, for best actor:

CHEETAH for confuddling the Nazis over the Radio! Best scene EVER! That is, if you have a sense of humor ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQ-RKVp4Lo

sorry if this is the movie referenced as unnameable.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

I hereby nominate, as Best Worst movie, ....

TARZAN versus THE NAZIS (1942?)

for the tantalizing scenes of Tarzan feeding a Nazi to a Lion, Tarzan feeding TWO Nazis to "Cannibal Fish" (piranhas), and, for best actor:

CHEETAH for confuddling the Nazis over the Radio! Best scene EVER! That is, if you have a sense of humor ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQ-RKVp4Lo

sorry if this is the movie referenced as unnameable.

I remember watching that as a kid on Channel 20 in Northern Virginia. IIRC, every Saturday they had a Tarzan feature.

I remember Cheetah get's mistaken for Hitler on the radio. [:D]
mukeshcreatisoul

Post by mukeshcreatisoul »

Thanks
wodin

Post by wodin »

So no one knows the film set in Pacific following British troops, at the end two survivors have to run zig zag across a field to safety as the Japanese tried to shoot them down?

Can't remember it's name but it was a good one.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

So no one knows the film set in Pacific following British troops, at the end two survivors have to run zig zag across a field to safety as the Japanese tried to shoot them down?

Play Dirty? Michael Caine was in it ,I think! No, I don't think that was it?
Tony
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Toby42

No that's not set against Japanese.
wodin

Post by wodin »

AHA!! Found it. Michael Caine was in it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Lat ... ero_(film)

Too late the hero.

I enjoyed it wen I was a kid. Interesting to watch again.

After reading WiKi I'm not sure my older self will like it as I did. Esp the lack of historical accuracy that I'm more aware of than I was age12\13
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Toby42

No that's not set against Japanese.

You're right. That was North Africa I think! I remember the one that you are talking about. It'll come to me?
Tony
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I remember that movie as well.

Sometimes, forget the historical inaccuracies and focus on the story being told. That can make a difference in the enjoyment aspect.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
&#8213; Julia Child

Rodia

Post by Rodia »

Besides the classics everybody knows (Tora Tora Tora, Zulu, Patton, The Battle of Britain, etc...), I always liked "Too Late the Hero" (1970). Watched it as a kid and I still love it.

(Damn, I had just read the first page of this thread, now I see Too Late the Hero just got mentioned a few posts ahead! [8|]

Great movie nonetheless!
pbrowne

Post by pbrowne »

In no particular order my top 10:

Catch-22
The Hill
Blackhawk Down
The Deer Hunter
The Hurt Locker
Letters from Iwo Jima
Apocalypse Now (just because it was based on Hearts of Darkness, one of my favourite books...)
Paths of Glory
Inglourious Basterds (yes but it was fun)
Kanal
Platoon
The Pianist
Lawrence Of Arabia (aside from a few historical inaccuracies mainly for dramatic effect, a fairly true account. I'm fascinated by T.E. Lawrence...been to Clouds Hill, own 1st edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, read The Mint...brilliant and curious fellow)
Waterloo (of course and I have been to Waterloo)
Das Boot (OK should be first...)
Full Metal Jacket (if you have ever done military boot camp, this hits it on the nail)
The Cruel Sea
Breaker Morant (just because it explored Rule 303 and the so called Nuremberg Defense on war crimes)
Dunkirk (both of them...)

See, that was easy...oh wait

Return to “General Discussion”