MP: real time vs WEGO

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

nukkxx5058

MP: real time vs WEGO

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I voted for real time MP in the CMO Running Poll.
But after some thinking, I realize that a WEGO MP system could be in fact fantastic, even better than real time which would create a large number of difficulties, like who pause the game ? when ? etc. It now seems to me that WEGO is THE solution.
Do you agree ? disagree ?

Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
kevinkins

RE: MP: real time vs WEGO

Post by kevinkins »

I think wego is coming sooner rather than later given it's already been worked out in the Pro version:

https://www.warfaresims.com/

For commercial users it's a matter of when not if. You can advance the game in defined increments now which might be part of wego in the future. But the Pro system appears to offer more options than that.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Joelsi

Post by Joelsi »

I'd prefer real time
Parel803

Post by Parel803 »

I liked the WEGO option, great fun playing and planning together.
with regards
cmanouser1

Post by cmanouser1 »

Real time for sure.

Additionally I hope for a coop mode : 2 or more players on the same side.
ronmexico111

Post by ronmexico111 »

ORIGINAL: cmanouser1

Real time for sure.

Additionally I hope for a coop mode : 2 or more players on the same side.

Personally, I don't think a real-time option is a viable one for multiplayer, and co-op mod is already there for multiplayer in the Professional Edition. See "Climbing ever higher: Command PE v1.15 released"

My question is about how the Order Submission Time or OST and the Variable Turn Time or VTT are changed to suit the current player conditions. Does this require the use of an umpire or do the players agree on the change?
"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now
magi

Post by magi »

what is we go.....??
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

A nice description of wego can be found here:

https://www.warfaresims.com/
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Hi Dennis,

I've wondered about this myself for some time. Couldn't find it as an acronym and didn't look further until your question and I'm glad you asked. Found this at "https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/19 ... ame-system" and it refers to player interaction: "I go then you go" vs "We go together".

As opposed to IGO-YUGO this is a game system where each player issues orders/commands to their units/assets at the same time, the action then executes simultaneously with no external player intervention. It's popular with computer wargaming these days. Question, the only board wargame system I know that uses WEGO to some extent are simultaneous move systems which are not technically WEGO games and had their day back in the 80's, Operation Crusader(GDW) is the only one I am familiar with. Are there any other board wargames that employ WEGO mechanics?? In theory, I think WEGO games are the way to go, especially with tactical gaming.

Hoped this helps, it did explain things for me!

-WS
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

ORIGINAL: stilesw

Hi Dennis,

I've wondered about this myself for some time. Couldn't find it as an acronym and didn't look further until your question and I'm glad you asked. Found this at "https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/19 ... ame-system" and it refers to player interaction: "I go then you go" vs "We go together".

As opposed to IGO-YUGO this is a game system where each player issues orders/commands to their units/assets at the same time, the action then executes simultaneously with no external player intervention. It's popular with computer wargaming these days. Question, the only board wargame system I know that uses WEGO to some extent are simultaneous move systems which are not technically WEGO games and had their day back in the 80's, Operation Crusader(GDW) is the only one I am familiar with. Are there any other board wargames that employ WEGO mechanics?? In theory, I think WEGO games are the way to go, especially with tactical gaming.

Hoped this helps, it did explain things for me!

-WS

There are quite a few wargames that use WEGO. Flashpoint Campaigns, Combat Mission, all of the AGEOD titles and others I'm forgetting at the moment. It works pretty well.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

ORIGINAL: OldSarge
There are quite a few wargames that use WEGO. Flashpoint Campaigns, Combat Mission, all of the AGEOD titles and others I'm forgetting at the moment. It works pretty well.
It's fairly straightforward to implement WEGO in turn-based games, but with real-time games like CMO it means dividing things up into pseudo-turns where instructions are given while paused, followed by a fixed-length 'time slice' where the game runs forward. This can work if the slices aren't too long, i.e. the instruction phases are often enough to mimic reality. This works rather well in the Combat Mission games, and I feel it could work well in CMO too.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

I agree that this works fairly well, and probably would for smaller scenarios in CMO. It would be nice if there were a few player selected settings for the Time-slice ranging from about 30 seconds (maybe 15 secs) to 5 minutes (or even 15) so at different stages of a game time compression could be cranked up or down. Combat Mission could use that btw...

However, I really believe there is a need for cooperative play, where several players take on different roles/forces either against the AI or another team. This way larger scenarios would become much more manageable.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Email play with two players or COOP play requires a lot of commitment and time. Most wargamers play traditional wargames vs the AI. Combat Mission has an email and RT component to the software and few players use it. This is understandable given the busy lives we have. The last time I looked, traditional wargames are played solitaire or vs the AI 90% of the time. I think we will see an email wego system for CMO soon. Then the developers can assess how we like and use it. First person shooters lend themselves to real time and coop play. CMO and CM are different animals. These players enjoy the time given to think about their "moves". I enjoyed playing email wargames in the 90's to the mid 2000's. But so many games were just never completed due to various factors. The best way to complete them was to join a tournament where there were prizes. But even then, players dropped out all the time. There is little enjoyment in spending a month playing someone who drops off the earth half way through a scenario. All that said, I look forward to being able to play another human and see where that leads to.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”