Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Lowpe »

Lokasenna.[X(][:D]

AndyMac updated Scenario 2 modified by me with Lokasenna's input (hat tip to Bullwinkle for the mk14 heavy lifting):

I think this is the modification list:

Kongo class BB have 425 troop and 200 cargo capacity
A6M8 does not upgrade to the Sam for r&d
All size 6 forts in dot bases set to 0

3 New Mk14 torpedoes with lower dud percentages available after 4/42, 8/42, 5/43. The upgrades for the subs is extended by 1 day. After 1/44 the subs will upgrade back to standard Mk14 torpedoes. 70%, 60%, and 30%

In stock, the dud rates are 80% until 01/01/1943, at which point they drop to 70% dud and on 09/01/1943 they drop to 10% (unless their dud rate was 20% or under already).

The above changes would result in the following, assuming subs were brought back to a suitable port and upgraded (realize that not all sub classes upgrade at earliest available modified mk14 torpedo dates): 80% duds until 04/42; 70% duds from until 08/42; 60% duds until 01/43; 40% duds until 05/43; 30% duds until 09/43; 10% duds from then onwards.

I had the option of extending the Mogami class float plane conversion to all Mogami class ships, and to do the same with the Kongo Maru class to AMCs but I elected not too as I got tired of working in the editor.[;)]

HR: None
1 day turns
PDU off

I promised Lokasenna minimum three turns a week, and he is ok with that. I am not really that enthused to do the first turn, perhaps I will do a minimal turn. Not sure what I am doing and where I am going at this point.

Evoken

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

Post by Evoken »

Well , Manilla looks like a very juicy target for first day strikes maybe even with KB. Good luck i have no doubt you will do great in this game [:)]
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Bomb Manila's port with Betties and Nells at 1,000 feet with torpedo ordinance selected but no torpedoes available. [:D] As far as I remember, there are no 40mm on Luzon or very few. 800 kg bombs hitting subs . . . [:D]

Use the Sallies broken down to hit the three airfields, aided by some Zeros bombing as well. Bomb hits on airfield are significantly increases for December 1941 . . .

Use the Pearl Harbor strike Zeros to bomb the airfields. I use 10,000 foot altitude but 1,000 feet could work as well but I have not tested it for the flak damage.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

No no no. Deliver some sushi to a gulag. You know the inmates will appreciate the delivery. Just make sure this time it is a scheduled delivery with all the trimmings (soy sauce, wasabi etc) rather than a quick drop off from the stern.

Alfred
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

No no no. Deliver some sushi to a gulag. You know the inmates will appreciate the delivery. Just make sure this time it is a scheduled delivery with all the trimmings (soy sauce, wasabi etc) rather than a quick drop off from the stern.

Alfred

+1,

― Julia Child

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Normally bomb Pearl Harbor with Zeroes at 9k. 13K is the best altitude to bomb after Dec 7th with Kates...Almost no losses.

Worked out my r&d plan priorities and have just started entering them.

Still haven't decided on a strategy yet.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I don't know what changes that were made, I am playing 2v6 right now against the computer. I have only sunk 11 BBs and one BC, only 2 at Pearl Harbour. The big E and the Lady Lex are also gone. I am getting better at being more aggressive early but I need to start playing more as if I am facing a human opponent.

― Julia Child

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I've never been a fan of the "Bomb Manila" approach.

Even if you kill a bunch, the Allies are still rolling in subs by 1943. Drops in the ocean, it seems to me.

Wreck as much as you can at Pearl.
Evoken

Post by Evoken »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I've never been a fan of the "Bomb Manila" approach.

Even if you kill a bunch, the Allies are still rolling in subs by 1943. Drops in the ocean, it seems to me.

Wreck as much as you can at Pearl.
It has ups and downs ;
Ups ; You are deleting %10 allied submarine fleet in 1 day at port , allies dont get too many sub replacements in 42 , gains you time to train a proper ASW air fleet , KB being close to DEI opens up early Indian Ocean Raid option or could be used in DEI
Downs; Pearl is untouched , Marshalls and Truk is exposed to allied Carrier force
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Use the LBA on Formosa to hit Manila's port.

― Julia Child

Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

The upside of bombing PH over historic in the game is you can sink Pennsylvania, which was actually in dry dock and unsinkable, and once you do sink a BB in PH they can't be raised and repaired. That gives you an extra incentive to go after the old BBs so they less can be used as shore bombardments mainstays. I have bombed manila with the KB and normally PH and I haven't noticed the advantage of bombing Manila unless it puts the KB in position to further operations in the region and saves sail time.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Haven't fleshed out the numbers yet, but basic r&d looks like this (I have to move some around because I overshot I think). Shinden is an obvious choice to gain r&d for models arriving earlier, could cut back a bit on the FB too.

Emphasis on getting Sam, Frank and A6M8 early. Probably go A6M2 to A6M3a to A6M8. In this game the Tojo IIa arrives in 9/42, need it sooner, and it uses the Ha34.

Late war is Shinden and Ki94. Plan to move finished r&d to Ki94, maybe Grace????

Judy early. No rules means no problem flying the Judy 4.

NF: Zero to resize groups. Primary if we get that far will be Frances, and I would like the Peggy D. Got scrounge up two more factories.

Don't even try to talk me into Tony, they suck and super suck in stock.[;)]

George and Jack: I like them both and will put something into them, but not much. More into George than Jack. But the A6M8 will act like a very early George I hope.

As much as I can in Frances and Peggy T, especially Peggy T. Lilly DB one.

No Helen, Sally, maybe 1 Dinah NF, No patrols, no recon,

I would love to find space for Grace instead of Jill...but Grace really needs 5 times the r&d of Jill. But I like the Judy 4 better than both of them tbh. I need to think on Grace a bit...talking myself into her. Uh oh. Better stop now.

Plane r&d

12 Sam
10 Frank
10 Rufe

10 Shinden
5 Ki 94

10 Tojo IIa

5 Nick A
5 Randy FB

10 Judy
1 Jill

2 Irving S
2 Nick D
2 Frances S
1 A6M S

? Frances
? Peggy T Can I get to 5 somehow?
1 Lilly DB

To go along with this plane r&d we will be accelerating our carriers somewhat ridiculously at the cost of subs and battleships. I think I am going to have to expand naval factories to do it, as there are quite a few additional ships in the build que.

What do you guys think?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I think I have come up with an opening strategy. Probably will keep it mum for now. Need to explore it more. I will reveal it prior to finishing the first turn I think.

I still haven't thought out all the ramifications of no house rules. China will be swamped by tons of troops from Manchuko off the bat, so odds are the Chinese all retreat to Burma asap. How fast can the Allies use their restricted troops without spending PP?

What does India look like with 50 Chinese Corps in it?[X(]

Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Haven't fleshed out the numbers yet, but basic r&d looks like this (I have to move some around because I overshot I think). Shinden is an obvious choice to gain r&d for models arriving earlier, could cut back a bit on the FB too.

Emphasis on getting Sam, Frank and A6M8 early. Probably go A6M2 to A6M3a to A6M8. In this game the Tojo IIa arrives in 9/42, need it sooner, and it uses the Ha34.

Late war is Shinden and Ki94. Plan to move finished r&d to Ki94, maybe Grace????

Judy early. No rules means no problem flying the Judy 4.

NF: Zero to resize groups. Primary if we get that far will be Frances, and I would like the Peggy D. Got scrounge up two more factories.

Don't even try to talk me into Tony, they suck and super suck in stock.[;)]

George and Jack: I like them both and will put something into them, but not much. More into George than Jack. But the A6M8 will act like a very early George I hope.

As much as I can in Frances and Peggy T, especially Peggy T. Lilly DB one.

No Helen, Sally, maybe 1 Dinah NF, No patrols, no recon,

I would love to find space for Grace instead of Jill...but Grace really needs 5 times the r&d of Jill. But I like the Judy 4 better than both of them tbh. I need to think on Grace a bit...talking myself into her. Uh oh. Better stop now.

Plane r&d

12 Sam
10 Frank
10 Rufe

10 Shinden
5 Ki 94

10 Tojo IIa

5 Nick A
5 Randy FB

10 Judy
1 Jill

2 Irving S
2 Nick D
2 Frances S
1 A6M S

? Frances
? Peggy T Can I get to 5 somehow?
1 Lilly DB

To go along with this plane r&d we will be accelerating our carriers somewhat ridiculously at the cost of subs and battleships. I think I am going to have to expand naval factories to do it, as there are quite a few additional ships in the build que.

What do you guys think?

Lacking late-game experience, this is more helpful for me than anything I could provide back to you. I am curious - what attribute(s) place the Sam so far above the later George models?

Would you consider using the Shinden R&D to boost something sooner (like the Tojo), then switch to shinden later? I'm sure there are excellent reasons (supplies) not to do so. More curious, since the R&D would theoretically be sitting at 0(30) for the first two years.

I'm 100% with you on the D4, and have an unsubstantiated belief that it's better to have both torps and DBs in an attack.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

Lacking late-game experience, this is more helpful for me than anything I could provide back to you. I am curious - what attribute(s) place the Sam so far above the later George models?

Would you consider using the Shinden R&D to boost something sooner (like the Tojo), then switch to shinden later? I'm sure there are excellent reasons (supplies) not to do so. More curious, since the R&D would theoretically be sitting at 0(30) for the first two years.

I'm 100% with you on the D4, and have an unsubstantiated belief that it's better to have both torps and DBs in an attack.

Sam is the most important fighter to r&d early for Japan, if you don't lose the KB prior to its arrival. If you do lose the KB early, well, then it is only in the top 5. Early arriving Sams swing the balance of CV encounters back to Japan's favor for a small window...

Jills have a tough time delivering hits in late game due to Allied flak. Graces are better but so costly.

Factories will repair, albeit slowly so the Shinden factories will be around 5-10 after a year plus or minus. The lucky factories tend to stay lucky and reach 30 which in turn starts decreasing the arrival date which eventually helps the unlucky factories.
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

Thanks!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

First monkey wrench...

The Rufe arrives in Jan of 1942. A blessing and a slight hiccup.[:)]

So I cherry picked the bases with supply and set all to 22. I should be able to add a day or two at the end of the month. Not sure what to do with Maebashi? They will probably go into production.

The Rufe does upgrade to A6M5 with an arrival date of 8/43.

I probably want to make 30 Rufes a month, but I need to check tracker to see how many squadrons can upgrade to the Rufe early...I plan to put Rufes on the CS and use them for low CAP.

Attachments
animatedarmorimage.jpg
animatedarmorimage.jpg (240.64 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

So, then the next plane I want asap is Tojo IIa. So I cherry pick those r&d facilities with supply. Tojo IIa comes in 9/42, which is so long away.[:)] I need 10 factories here too. Argh, I generally never put more than 5 in her.

Well, that means once I get the Tojo IIc (if I go for it which is most likely) it will free up r&d for the final generation fighters.

I also need to crank up the Ha 34 engines to get the 500 engine bonus....when the first factory reaches fully repaired.

I would like to make 150(?) a month normally, and...so I am thinking of having one big factory at 150, and letting the other 9 jump into the IIc and then something else. Since I am not going Oscar at all, I bet I will need 220 minimum, and if I am going 220, maybe I should go 300 right off the bat?

The fighter will be the primary Army fighter till June/July of 1943 when the Frank A comes, but it will always be useful if not optimal.

So, since this is scenario 2...I am thinking one size 300, 9 size 30 plus engine bonus. I might get the fighter 5 months early maybe?

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Continuing my logic, next up is Judy and then Nick...then I don't really care about starting supply and will worry a bit more about location...I would like to have relatively safe factories for Frank and Sam.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Having done the R&D for the Rufe, I decide to look at what starts...one squadron on a very serious AMC...an AndyMac Q ship. Oh my.[X(]

I knew she was here, having run into her in my other game.[;)]

Obviously, this squadron needs to get to a CS and be resized, where this early will make potent added aerial defense for the mini kb that normally prowls the SRA.

She starts in the Marshalls and is loaded with troops for the Wake Invasion.

A really super impressive ship. What was Andy thinking?
Attachments
animatedarmorimage.jpg
animatedarmorimage.jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

Return to “After Action Reports”