Map questions

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Nirosi

Map questions

Post by Nirosi »

Hi,

I have three questions about the map:

1) The port of Zaafarana in Egypt seems to have a rail line going “toward” it in the previous hex, but not “into it”. I wanted to make sure it is not a bug. I assume it might represent a line under construction that was not finished yet?

2) The hex south of Lisbon has another size 9 port. That make two such ports one right beside the other in Portugal. I must admit I do not know enough about the geography of Portugal, but my first impression was that maybe is was the same port that appeared twice by mistake?

3) When Finland loses territory to the USSR in 1940, the border does not change (just the control of hexes). However, in the case or Rumania, the border does change. I was curious as to why? Maybe to allow partisans in one but not the other?

Thanks,
AlvaroSousa

RE: Map questions

Post by AlvaroSousa »

#1 yes it wasn't finished

#2 No. Spain needs X amount of port capacity for the Allied player to invade otherwise he never gets anywhere.

#3 yes
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

Thanks for the answers Alvar0,

However concerning Portugal. Does that not make possible and easier an otherwise difficult enterprise though Portugal, historically speaking, by boosting their ports? Why make things easier for the Allies and only there (for example why not in Norway).

I am thorn a little here as I can understand the balance of play consideration, but it does make Portugal a bigger supply hub than all of Atlantic France.[:(] French ports from Cherbourg to Bordeaux are actually smaller in total size than Portugal.

PS: I want to take the time to say that I am a veteran of ETO and AETO boardgames (among others, but especialy those) and WarPlan is the first time I actualy have the same feeling when playing on a PC that I had when playing ETO on a table [:)]
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Because they literally can't push the front line at all. The get to a point inside the country in which they can't support the troops for an offensive.

In France due to the smaller front it is well balanced where taking Antwerp is important for supply. But it's balanced.

In both cases if the Allies dump too much armor and mech they will have supply issues. The largest factor is the airforce. Invading France the airforce can operate from the UK.
Invading spain they use the same supply as land units.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

Invading France the airforce can operate from the UK.
Invading spain they use the same supply as land units.

True, it does of make sense. Did not remember how much greedy supply wise the planes are...
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

The lack of port capacity in France was chronic for the allies. Without the Mulberries, the Normandy invasion would have failed.

It would be nice if Mulberry harbours could be bought, but maybe that's a balance issue given Alvaro's answers to your qu's. To avoid any misunderstanding, I fully accept his reasoning.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Nirosi, I have exactly the same feeling about WarPlan and ETO. The latter was the WWII wargame in that period; nothing else matched it without some major drawback. That's why I'm very forgiving when I from time to time encounter some quirk in WarPlan. :-)
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

The lack of port capacity in France was chronic for the allies. Without the Mulberries, the Normandy invasion would have failed.

It would be nice if Mulberry harbours could be bought, but maybe that's a balance issue given Alvaro's answers to your qu's. To avoid any misunderstanding, I fully accept his reasoning.

Yes Muberries would be a very nice addition in a patch (or a WarPlan2 if the code does not allow it in a patch). It would feel more historical and would remove the need of boosting Portugal's historical ports (which I understand of course).

Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

Nirosi, I have exactly the same feeling about WarPlan and ETO. The latter was the WWII wargame in that period; nothing else matched it without some major drawback. That's why I'm very forgiving when I from time to time encounter some quirk in WarPlan. :-)

30 years or so latter, I still remember a game of 3 players of the original ETO that lasted to the exact last month when both Italy and Germany got conquered with very violent combats going on until the end and the Allies and Soviet racing for victory and refusing to help each other. To the last minute, victory could have gone to any of the three side [:)]
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

If one day Matrix servers could allow for easy 3-way games with victory conditions by camps (Axis, Allies, Soviets), it would be so nice...
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

We used to play:

Player 1 = UK, USA.
Player 2 = France, USSR.
Player 3 = Germany, Italy.

Or (when 5 players):

Player 1 = UK
Player 2 = France, USA
Player 3 = USSR
Player 4 = Germany
Player 5 = Italy and minors

WarPlan would be very nice with a 3-player option for PBEM.

AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Yes mulberries would break the supply system. At the time I couldn't think of a solution. But for WP2 I will probably have one.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ComadrejaKorp

Post by ComadrejaKorp »

PS: I want to take the time to say that I am a veteran of ETO and AETO boardgames (among others, but especialy those) and WarPlan is the first time I actualy have the same feeling when playing on a PC that I had when playing ETO on a table

I completely agree, what I fell in love with warplan, is to feel again like when I played D-DAY with chips on a hexagonal board, 30 years ago !!!
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I am very happy to hear that. I have played a lot of wargames myself and WarPlan was an accumulation of what was the best from games past. I enjoy it and I have been working on it now for 6 years.

And this is my 1st coded game.
WP2 will be better.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

If you get a steam key write a review for me.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ComadrejaKorp

Post by ComadrejaKorp »

I will, I am really a fan of your creation.
sveint

Post by sveint »

Would it be possible to increase the port size of a port in say Normandy once the Allies captures it? Or just at a fixed date, it's not like it makes a difference to the Axis.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

The French ports are calculated so the Allies can't do a 1943 D-Day and not get killed. Now they can on a weak Germany of course but won't get far.

All the ports on the map are based on real capacity and game balance.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Cigar King

Post by Cigar King »

I have done the 43 D-Day and it works fine. In fact, it's the best way to knock out Italy. Take Sardinia. Allies invade France and take Paris. Land troops in Southern France, and take out Italy. The Germans in Italy are stranded.

Personally I see no value in invading Italy via Sicily. There are no VP's there and it's a long slugging match up the boot.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Then the issue is the Axis. They should KO Vichy France in 1942 when the Allies arrive to prevent this.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “WarPlan”