This I don't happen to know

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Evoken

RE: This I don't happen to know

Post by Evoken »

Turn 4 , they fly again and still have torpedos [:D] This confirms my suspicion that submarines dont need sortie or torpedo to operate planes looks like they have unlimited amounts or they simply dont need it

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Oh wow, give them a super large air complement . . . [:D]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

This is a bug. It works within the design but is not working as designed.

Alfred
Evoken

Post by Evoken »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred
I guess its not game breaking as there is only 3 subs that arrive super late and Seiran durability is super low most of the time they get shot down before they do anything
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Evoken

Alfred
I guess its not game breaking as there is only 3 subs that arrive super late and Seiran durability is super low most of the time they get shot down before they do anything

Except for the fact that it can be done for all subs in a mod.

Alfred
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Alfred

Alfred, what does your statement mean? What is 'it' to which you refer? Does your statement mean that geofflambert is unlikely to derive satisfaction from his efforts ("not working as designed") or that evoken's experience is a plausible outcome ("it works within the design"), but not in a traditional 'torpedo aircraft attack' methodology?
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Alfred

Alfred, what does your statement mean? What is 'it' to which you refer? Does your statement mean that geofflambert is unlikely to derive satisfaction from his efforts ("not working as designed") or that evoken's experience is a plausible outcome ("it works within the design"), but not in a traditional 'torpedo aircraft attack' methodology?

Maybe it's "It is working as it is designed but it is not working as we wished that it would be."
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Alfred

I think he means the code handled the addition of torpedo armament for the Seirans but the game was not designed to have them carry torpedoes.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Alfred

I think he means the code handled the addition of torpedo armament for the Seirans but the game was not designed to have them carry torpedoes.

Almost.[:)]

The game design is for ships operating like an aircraft carrier, regardless of their type classification, are meant to have a specified sortie limit for embarked aircraft, and if torpedoes are to be capable of being dropped by said embarked aircraft, a specified torpedo limit. Without the specified limits you have unlimited sorties and unlimited torpedoes.

Here the discussion is about operating subs like an aircraft carrier. Such subs should be treated similarly to the Japanese CS type ships which also operate like an aircraft carrier. IOW they should have a specified sortie limit (and if appropriate) a specified torpedo limit too.

Alfred
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

As Alfred said:

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

Well this is interesting. Thanks for the Q&A everyone.
I wasn’t planning on building any Seirans because I’d noticed that the I-400s have zero torpedo sorties.
I’ll have to find a spare factory and make a few Seirans to play with now.
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'd build them anyway to function from bases especially in concert with an AV present. If the airfield is gone you could bring them in and an AV and do some damage, perhaps.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

An attack happened but there's no way to know if torpedoes were carried. The target there was 6 DDs.

Attachments
seiranattack.jpg
seiranattack.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Huh. Well, if I ever get the I-400s again, I'll try it. I had them once and just didn't use them because of the red torpedoes and lack of any sorties on the sub. I just figured they'd fly empty and I was a little mad about it.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”