Minors' Majors - Albania and Persia

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

mdsmall

Minors' Majors - Albania and Persia

Post by mdsmall »

I have been wondering why Albania has Russia as its Major, rather than Serbia? Surely if Albania is attacked by the Central Powers, it makes sense for its small troops and resources to be managed by its immediate neighbour, Serbia. Also, since Russia usually needs all the MPPs it can get and needs to limit NM losses as much as possible, the Entente Player would prefer to have Albania managed by Serbia.

Separately, if Persia is attacked by one of the Central Powers, which power becomes Persia's Major - Russia or the United Kingdom?

Michael
Xsillione

RE: Minors' Majors - Albania and Persia

Post by Xsillione »

Well, Albania is a tricky one, it was close to a civil war between a CP preferring group and the Russian backed group, and while the russian backed group was the winner in the long run (which lead to the albanian occupation), it was mostly a stuff avoided by the majors. So it has really nothing to do with serbia.

And the Persians go to the UK, Which makes it a good target for the ottoman, the UK cannot really benefit from it, unless they managed to keep Basra and willing to send more troops to this area, but the Russians must defend it or it will fall to the Ottomans and allow a new route to the Baku oilfields.
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

ORIGINAL: Xsillione

Well, Albania is a tricky one, it was close to a civil war between a CP preferring group and the Russian backed group, and while the russian backed group was the winner in the long run (which lead to the albanian occupation), it was mostly a stuff avoided by the majors. So it has really nothing to do with serbia.

And the Persians go to the UK, Which makes it a good target for the ottoman, the UK cannot really benefit from it, unless they managed to keep Basra and willing to send more troops to this area, but the Russians must defend it or it will fall to the Ottomans and allow a new route to the Baku oilfields.

Russia basically wasn't a factor in Albanian politics, there was no "Russian-backed group" really because Albania is not a Slavic country nor an Orthodox Christian one, and Russia is a long way from it. There were areas and politicians under the influence of the Serbs, the Italians, the French, the Greeks, the Ottomans, the Bulgarians, and the Austrians - these were the countries with power and influence there, not Russia.

Looking at prominent Albanian leaders of the time in terms of which foreign countries they were close to at the time, you have:

William of Wied (German/Austrian influence)
Essad Pasha Toptani (Serbian/Italian/Greek/French-backed depending on the circumstances and time)
Ismail Qemali (British/Greek/Ottoman/Austrian at various times)
Turhan Pasha Përmeti (Ottoman)
Fejzi Alizoti (Austrian/Italian)
Ahmet Zogu (Austria)
Fan Noli (British)

I cannot think of any who were close to Russia.

In game terms, I can see Albania being a Serb minor like Montenegro, or an Italian minor, but not a Russian one as this make no sense either in game-play terms (where Albania is cut off from Russia) or historical ones.

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Interestingly, the Italians have the option to fund an Albanian 'legion' which is a detachment. I guess that's an abstraction of influence from Italy into Albanian and Balkan affairs. This whole region is a fascinating place to see all the big power skullduggery going on.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

This whole region is a fascinating place to see all the big power skullduggery going on.

Not to mention the the lavish parties and bribery. [;)]
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Haha...yeah, this is a reoccurring theme with diplomacy back in the day...
1)I hear your Concerns...
2)You hear our Concerns...
3)A pat on the Back...
4)A reciprocal pat on the Back...
5)An uncomfortable Moment...
6)Money is Mentioned...(From either or Both parties)
7)Declaration that Money isn't the Issue...(Because of the Cause)
8)Declaration that Money isn't the Issue...(We have loads and You don't)
9)Hesitation from one or both Parties...
10)Agree that Consultations with the Home Office(s)is required...
11)Embassy soiree is required to help Smooth things out...
12)Money,Girls,Booze, and that 7% Solution are passed around at the Soiree...
13)One Week later..."We need to discuss This some more"...
14)Up ticks a positive alignment between both Parties...
15)Meanwhile, a soiree is announced at another Big Power Embassy...

My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”