Steel Panthers World At War v6.0 The Release....What Do You Think!

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Greenlake

Post by Greenlake »

6.0 is great except one little thing, Flamethrowers are now completly useless from my observations. They use to be major killers of infrantry and now they never get kills. I know the direction 6.0 was going was to Melee/Overrun combat, but I have tried many many times to get a kill with a flame a never can.
BlitzSS

Post by BlitzSS »

I’m not sure what you mean David when you say, “Crews do not seem to act the way they should.” I’ll try to echo that thought the next time I’ve got crews on the screen. Otherwise, I didn’t get a chance to play versions 5.2 and 5.3, but I read many reactions. I did manage to play one scenario in 6.0; a small US vs Ger in a meeting engagement in some small town. It was of mostly infantry units and it seemed to play rather well. I noticed that the BARs and LMGs fired 1st with some rifle fire during each firing segment. Advancing infantry through a town with minimal artillery and armor seemed a to be great test, now I wonder what I missed in 5.3. The mechanics of the infantry fire seem to work well, but killing squads and MG crews didn’t strike me as any what too difficult at all. This was a canned scenario and it played through well. I hope before the weekend is over check out 6.0 some more. I want realism and to be taxed, but I also when I play I want to enjoy just a game.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: BlitzSS ]
"Nuts"
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
I just tried a "shooting gallery" of Crusader I's against M13/40 s and they seemed to do aOK at 500-600 yards. THe poor Crusaders are tin cans armor wise, so it can be frustrating.

The only change was a slight tweak that rasied the effect of slope on armor thicknes for lower angles, but lowered ricochet chance and effective thickness at high angles.

What ranges are you shooting at?
Against the M-13's, 600 - 900 yards. (and yeah, they had to be side shots mostly....heh, that damn front turret armor was nigh invulnerable!!! got a few forward hull penetrations though.)

Against the armored cars the range was 50 - 150 yards.
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

We are fixing the internet play and a few little things. One being the flamethrower.... gotto have that working.... expect v6.1 soon.
Panzer Leo

Post by Panzer Leo »

Originally posted by pbear:

I may be wrong, I thought that the German MMG was the MG34/42 on a tripod with a four or five man crew and the HMG was on a quad mount with micometer adjustments and longer range sighting equipment and a seven man crew. The reason for the increased crew is to carry the larger mount and the extra ammo.

:confused:
There was no MMG or HMG version of MG 34/42, just the MG34/42 on the tripod (Lafette). The optics were part of the tripod and were always with the weapon(unless broken, of course).
Usually a whole squad (7-9 men) were attached to this MG, being responsible for manning the weapon (2-3), ensuring ammo supply (eats up ammo like hell) and giving fire support at close ranges, to defend the MG (and a NCO typically with binoculars for directing the fire).
This is the "training optimum".
In combat the additional crew often was withdrawn to help out with other tasks (regular infantry) and the minimum needed to man the MG was left (3-4 men).

Mir nach, ich folge euch !
George Marker

Post by George Marker »

I have tried downloading the file on two different occassions, each time when I go to unzip the file, I receive an error message stating that there is no zip file to unzip. I going to try one more time late this evening and hopefully, I will be more successful. ;) :( :o :D ;) :mad: :confused:
George (old salt)
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

WHich file - if you have ICQ I can file transfer you the exe directly.

ICQ 2243790
ToutUnHomme

Post by ToutUnHomme »

Hi guys,
Great job on that version. I'm a new registered user but I am following the discussions on this forum since I have started to play on version 4.0 of SPWAW.
(I'm a happy guy since my spouse is a computer abdic too :D )

Two things that I want to talk about:

1- I have still noticed the problem that you lose the first spot of artillery if you have more than one mortar in a platoon and you activate both in the same turn.

2- It would be great and more realistic if we could fire with AT shells at abandonned vehicules. I can understand that regular infanterie could have to destroy it in the same hex but that should be even easier (just a sitting duck) for an armor like a Tiger... It would at least remove the fear to get shot when the crew get back and reuse the vehicule.

Thanks!
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

2- It would be great and more realistic if we could fire with AT shells at abandonned vehicules. I can understand that regular infanterie could have to destroy it in the same hex but that should be even easier (just a sitting duck) for an armor like a Tiger... It would at least remove the fear to get shot when the crew get back and reuse the vehicule.

No need for that. Park a squad in the same hex as an abandoned vehicle and they'll destroy it before your next turn. They have to end the turn in the hex with the vehicle, and the icon won't explode, but if you put the mouse over it it'll show the tank or whatever's destroyed.

Alex

Thanks![/QB][/QUOTE]
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
A_B

Post by A_B »

What about getting some improved weather routines in SPWaW? Currently, the wheather only affect Visability (number of hexes you can see). It does not affect the spotting ability. For example, it is as easy to 'see' enemy Inf. 4 hexes away at night in a sandstorm as on a sunny day (according to testing i did - V6.0). This can be handled with preference changes, but shouldn't the game provide more realistic weather effects? IF not SPWaW, how about CL/CA?
Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Mike Oshiki

Post by Mike Oshiki »

Just got the computer up and running after a somewhat painful move and look what I discover to make me happy - version 6.0! And my CD arrived just before I moved. Household 6 will not be happy with this...

Mike

P.S. I'm in Navy country now, Paul - damn squids EVERYWHERE

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”