Rebasing Aircraft and Furballs

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
Hellen_slith

RE: Rebasing Aircraft and Furballs

Post by Hellen_slith »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

The Loss Report doesn't show any losses, for either side. Does that mean there are no losses?

I get a lot of furballs in Next War. It has been my experience that the furball that is named (in this example, the Warsaw Pact furball) ALWAYS eliminates the encroaching unit (in this example, the Royal Canadian AF unit.) Pact is the furball ... NATO encroached.

The losses only show up in the total inventory and replacements report/ they aren't shown like in other combat reports, which is a shame. But there are indeed losses.

Mr. Cross might be able to confirm or correct. I think it has been like this since ACOW, at least for the Next War scene.

Attachments
FurballsinNextWar.jpg
FurballsinNextWar.jpg (332.63 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

It's always been my understanding that the shorter the distance between attacking aircraft and their targets was a good thing ....

Yes, it has been my experience also that the shorter the distance to target, the less affect upon unit battlefield timestamp. Sometimes I can grind out up to 16 on the timestamp, if I'm careful.

Mileage may vary, depending on the situation :)

D
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Just two places to change it if you want to see something other than furball. Change it to dogfight or air vs air or my aunt flabby's underwear.

<s_5009 v="furball location" t="FURBALL_LOCATION_STRING"/>

<s_5010 v="overrun location" t="OVERRUN_LOCATION_STRING"/>

<s_5011 v="Click here to display Combat Results." t="ALL_COMBAT_RESULTS_INFO_HELP"/>

<s_5012 v="COMBAT RESULTS" t="ALL_COMBAT_RESULTS_TITLE_STRING"/>

<s_5013 v="Type" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING"/>

<s_5014 v="Round" t="ROUND_STRING"/>

<s_5015 v="Combat" t="TIMESTAMP_STRING"/>

<s_5016 v="land" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_LAND"/>

<s_5017 v="air" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_AIR"/>

<s_5018 v="sea" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_SEA"/>

<s_5019 v="nuke" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_NUKE"/>

<s_5020 v="bombardment" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_BOMBARD"/>

<s_5021 v="furball" t="BATTLE_TYPE_STRING_FURBALL"/>
What file are you changing here? I can't find that text in the EnglishTxt.xml file.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Larry, I'm on the latest release (.40) and can't find "furball" in the game text file either. My last string definition is numbered 4860. Lobster must have a beta version with that string.

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Larry, I'm on the latest release (.40) and can't find "furball" in the game text file either. My last string definition is numbered 4860. Lobster must have a beta version with that string.

Cheers

This has nothing to do with anything that I have done. That file was changed in v.20/.21. There seems to be a concerted effort to remove the ability of people to mod the game and make some things embedded in the code so unable to be edited.

I suspect some day all of those text files will be beyond the reach of modders. Meanwhile we are stuck with a boatload of .bmp files that are never used. [8|]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
This has nothing to do with anything that I have done.

Okay, but it was more fun to imagine you were quoting from a version that none of us had yet &#128514;

Yeah, the direction of ability to modify game text seems to be in retrograde motion.

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Doesn't this make you wonder how well an older version of the file would work in the new version? Would it pick up the proper lines and use them? Could you add the proper lines in a sequential order to the new lines and get the old lines working? Is there life on Europe and did it get put there by some alien monoliths?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The War Room”