There is only War... Castor Troy vs Mundy - DBB Scen 28

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28

Post by Lowpe »

I see a roadmap forward for you. don't despair.

I don't feel comfortable saying much more since I have read your opponents AAR.[:(]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I see a roadmap forward for you. don't despair.

I don't feel comfortable saying much more since I have read your opponents AAR.[:(]
+1

There is ALWAYS hope for the allies through 1944. Doesn't really matter what happens in '42 and even most of '43 … the allied juggernaut is SO strong …
Pax
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I've got three squadrons of PB4Y-1Ps right now. Two at Shemya and one at Savaii. The one at the latter, I'm working back to the states and I'll send them to Cape Town. Unfortunately, I can't make the flight from Perth to Colombo. With them, I can get some eyes on Calcutta to determine troop strength. Potential target No 1. I can even recon Rangoon and halfway down the Malay peninsula with them. Potential Target No 2.

I'm pulling the Americal and 4th Marine Division out of Townsville. This will probably kill any offensive ground ability in Australia, unless more Aussies arrive. Actually looking at the schedule, Australia is totally dry as far as real troops, unless he decides to invade. Mexican standoff in Australia. He has troops at Port Moresby, but no planes present. I bomb them now and then and get supply hits, so I'm guessing supplies are getting thin there right now. I have subs swarming the way into there.

Lots more troops due to enter in the US within the next two months. My chore is to ensure enough transport to get everyone over. I'll have plenty of forces for any adventure. Just need to ship all of them, lots of supply and follow-up base forces and aircraft. He can't have massive ground forces everywhere. Need to find a weak spot.

Stuff will probably happen fairly quickly. Chris and I have been averaging about 25 turns a week, which is screaming.

Question about amphibs: I thought I read ages ago that having troops on an amphib TF for an extended time will lead to troop fatigue. Any truth to that and how long would I have. I'm concerned about an amphib run from Cape Town.

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I read the other side as well.

There is always Hope, although Hope Solo is married.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I've got three squadrons of PB4Y-1Ps right now. Two at Shemya and one at Savaii. The one at the latter, I'm working back to the states and I'll send them to Cape Town. Unfortunately, I can't make the flight from Perth to Colombo. With them, I can get some eyes on Calcutta to determine troop strength. Potential target No 1. I can even recon Rangoon and halfway down the Malay peninsula with them. Potential Target No 2.

I'm pulling the Americal and 4th Marine Division out of Townsville. This will probably kill any offensive ground ability in Australia, unless more Aussies arrive. Actually looking at the schedule, Australia is totally dry as far as real troops, unless he decides to invade. Mexican standoff in Australia. He has troops at Port Moresby, but no planes present. I bomb them now and then and get supply hits, so I'm guessing supplies are getting thin there right now. I have subs swarming the way into there.

Lots more troops due to enter in the US within the next two months. My chore is to ensure enough transport to get everyone over. I'll have plenty of forces for any adventure. Just need to ship all of them, lots of supply and follow-up base forces and aircraft. He can't have massive ground forces everywhere. Need to find a weak spot.

Stuff will probably happen fairly quickly. Chris and I have been averaging about 25 turns a week, which is screaming.

Question about amphibs: I thought I read ages ago that having troops on an amphib TF for an extended time will lead to troop fatigue. Any truth to that and how long would I have. I'm concerned about an amphib run from Cape Town.

If he is in northern Oz with no industry, it is a net loss for him to have to feed all those troops for no strategic benefit. It's a self administered POW camp. At some point you may be in position to kill his supply sources and extraction possibilities, making them a starving POW camp. Northern Oz does not offer anything essential to the Allied effort either - other bases in NG or the DEI can be captured to provide airfields, so N Oz can be bypassed. But you have to press him all over the map to create/locate soft spots in his defences.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

...Question about amphibs: I thought I read ages ago that having troops on an amphib TF for an extended time will lead to troop fatigue. Any truth to that and how long would I have. I'm concerned about an amphib run from Cape Town.

Fatigue is the least of your concerns. For on board troops, the daily fatigue increase is 1 capped at 50.

The far greater concern regarding combat effectiveness after a long stay at sea is the disruption rate which is not capped. It can, and has for some players, reached level 99. At that disruption level, the invasion is toast.

The daily disruption level increase gained on the trip is not fixed. Pages 118-121 of the manual list the maximum increase for the different ship types. The potential daily disruption increase reflects wether troops are cross loaded, the type of ship, ship carrying capacity utilisation, operations mode of embarked troops, TF mission type. The actual amount gained daily is ultimately determined by die rolls.

Then upon disembarkation there is the usual and separate invasion disruption factors which are dependent on LCU preparation, type of ship, HQ and leader presence.

Alfred
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Thanks, Alfred. Looks like 1-2 max per day for most transports. Best not to use APD for this.

I'll have to decide whether to stage from Ceylon or not. Not sure if he's got naval search happening around there. He is very serious with the use of recon planes

I need to get my PB4Y-1P to Trincomalee as quickly as possible. I can weed out a lot of landing sites at that point. I could probably send them to Perth and ship them over to Ceylon. Probably the fastest route.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

That's why Capetown is so attractive you can send some there via shipping or directly by choice with out shipping and they can offload there and prep for whatever targets you decide to land on in DEI. All you would need is about 20-30 CVEs and a smattering of CVs to protect your amphibious TFs and resupply TFs as they come ashore at a lightly defended base that you decide to invade. Just keep up a very active plausiable ruse on the other side of the map with feints and recon/long range bombings to keep him fixated on that side of the map while you invade the other side. It would take him 2-4 days to bring in air power from other areas outside of where you plan to land and your 20-30 CVEs and a smattering of CVs could fend those off and the CVs prove to be a threat to his surface forces he might have in this backwater area. That should give you 2-3 weeks before his IJN big boys show up with the KB elements. If you pull him on this side of the map then land in the area he just left relatively undefended. Sew saw him ;like the Allies did at Normandy attacking on opposite ends of the front until they finally broke out.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

07 August 1943

Still trying to figure out a plan. It's going to be awhile before I gather everybody/thing up.

CT just took Cocos Island, some ways west of Java, this turn. I have to be wary of search planes that far south.

I've noticed that while he's reconning Ceylon pretty heavy, TFs at sea next to Colombo are unsighted, so there's likely no naval search going on in the area. The whole west coast of India is probably vacant. Calcutta may be a first good step. I'm leaning that way now. If it were to work, I could deal with Rangoon next and wide open after that point. Either way, I could probably stage an invasion our of Colombo. I've had lots of big convoys coming in and out of there for awhile, so a few more probably wouldn't raise many suspicions. Even if I secured Calcutta, securing India would probably take time. I suppose, concurrently with Calcutta, I could land forces already on Ceylon at the less guarded points around India. I do have 3 RN battleships present.

Treading lightly for now.

Don't have 30 CVEs yet, Bif. That may take awhile
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Not yet but you have 24 CVEs by now, not counting how many you have lost but you do get 100+ CVEs. So if you have 12 CVEs you are only 8 away and no doubt will have them by the time you have the LCUs prepped and other shipping available and in place for a proposed landing. The Arsenal of Democracy will pump them out at a higher and higher rate.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Looking over stuff.

Madras is a serious Japanese strongpoint right now.

troops 129800
guns 894
vehicles 173

I just broke my last recon B-25, but Calcutta had the following listing:

troops 5120
guns 96
vehicles 28

My long range recon squadron just flipped to Recce Mosquitos (3), so I should be able to reach again in a few days. I'll keep checking Calcutta and Diamond Harbor. If I can nab that place, I can get a major airfield set up fairly quickly. I'm just hoping naval air searches are sloppy. The whole west coast of India is pretty much unoccupied. I can probably do a two prong hit when the time comes. Lots of airborne troops are at the north base on Ceylon, wtih lots of transports. Hyderabad is a major air base at that end of the country.

If I can get a surprise invasion going, I'll take Calcutta and Diamond Harbor simultaneously.

CV Philippine Sea reached Pearl this turn. 2 CVLs and one CV so far.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Surely you don't have the RL USS Philippine Sea CVS 47 already? [X(]
I will guess that you renamed an Essex class CV.

Attachments
CVSPhilippineSea.jpg
CVSPhilippineSea.jpg (290.59 KiB) Viewed 153 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Yeah, I renamed them all fairly early assuming I wouldn't lose the original ships.

Love that pic.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

17 August 1943

Answered the naval search question. I had an ASW group patrolling just west of Colombo. Somehow they strayed off course and I found them 8 hexes SE of Trincomalee. Spotted status was 10/10. Looks like he has search planes out.

As slow as some of these transports are, I hope I can make landings without getting too much reaction out of him. OF course, until it happens, he won't be 100% sure of the destination.

I figure if I can get Calcutta, supply for the rest of India will become dire.

Lots of ifs...
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I figure if I can get Calcutta, supply for the rest of India will become dire.

Unless he has opened the "Bombay Road" from China!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Surely you don't have the RL USS Philippine Sea CVS 47 already? [X(]
I will guess that you renamed an Essex class CV.

Some of those aircraft appear to be defective - they don't have propellers!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Moving, moving, moving...

Getting things packed up and sent to Cape Town. Funny thing is he could probably take Pearl with a big invasion if he wanted to.

I have two battleships at Pearl which will be fixed up in the next week and a half or so, so I'll wait for them also.

Despite reservations, I'm going to launch the invasion straight from Cape Town. CT is watching Ceylon like a hawk, reconning all the bases. He'd notice a bunch of ships showing up and the troop count spiking and then dropping if I staged from there. Too much warning.

My recon naval Liberators will arrive in Colombo next turn. Once they're up and running, I can gather intel on how many troops are sitting at Calcutta and Diamond Harbor. If it looks too stiff, I can decide on an alternative location. Not sure if the recons can reach Rangoon or not.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

24 Sep 1943

Recon Libs up and flying at Trincomalee.

Scouted Calcutta last turn: 58700 troops, 558 guns, 148 vehicles

Looks busy.

I'm checking Rangoon next turn. Gotta love that long range.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Rangoon looks like it's packed with more troops than Calcutta.

What to do...

Sumatra would be nice, but they don't seem to make much for supply. I want something self-sustaining.

As nice as taking Java would be, it would put my forces within reach of KB, which I'm assuming is at Truk.

Plenty of time to mull this over.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

What's wrong with just landing on western India and conducting a standard land campaign. Then when the enemy land forces are committed to the Indian frontlines, launching a rear end sea landing.

Alfred

Return to “After Action Reports”