Water from lakes/ oceans

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Jorge_Stanbury

Water from lakes/ oceans

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I don't think lakes/ oceans within your borders should be giving you water freely,

It will be better if there is some very cheap building, an aqueduct maybe? to carry the water
ramnblam

RE: Water from lakes/ oceans

Post by ramnblam »

It's abstracted. The resource is in such plentiful supply that sourcing, refining and distributing is something that was figured out before you came to power. It just isn't a top level concern that you the supreme leader need to deal with, unlike a volcanic world where water's scarcity makes it a extremely important strategic resource.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

but then why not abstract making water from ice? [:)]
ramnblam

Post by ramnblam »

Because depending on the planet (and where you are geographically located) there might not be ice there year round? For example my starting city in rocky plains, but the minor I conquered had nearby glaciers that are permanent sources.
GodwinW

Post by GodwinW »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

I don't think lakes/ oceans within your borders should be giving you water freely,

It will be better if there is some very cheap building, an aqueduct maybe? to carry the water

I like that suggestion. Like an Ice Mine, but different: Filtration Plant, or however Vic wants to call it :)
I wouldn't make it an aquaduct as water transport is always via assumed pipes so there should not be an exception to it.
lloydster4

Post by lloydster4 »

Water collection from rainfall is automated, every other source needs a building. There is already a building that allows you to collect water from oceans, it's called a Water Purification asset. You need to research the tech before you can build it.

I think it might be interesting to require the player to build/manage pipelines. Definitely not a priority feature, but there's some potential there.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: lloydster4

Water collection from rainfall is automated, every other source needs a building.

no,
lake/ river is also automatic

and to GodwinW: yes I think a building is enough, no need to put pipes or something more complex than a simple building
LordAldrich

Post by LordAldrich »

Where can you see how much water is coming from lakes and rivers?

There IS a water purification building that has to be built next to a lake, isn't there?
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

After expanding my empire to reach a lake,

I would click on SHQ inventory bar (1st tab from the left)

then see a massive amount of water "delivered from zones"; with most of it being wasted du to max storage reached

no water purification needed
Zyphtan

Post by Zyphtan »

According to the manual you get a fixed amount from water sources like rivers and lakes and ocean in a zone. You can build the water purification asset to get more. I believe it is also need on some worlds to get water for undrinkable sources.
lloydster4

Post by lloydster4 »

no,
lake/ river is also automatic

I looked it up, and you're correct. Automatic collection from rivers, lakes, and seas is outlined in Manual section 5.5.3.2 "Free Water Income". Simply touching a freshwater Lake generates 5000 water/turn

It would be pretty trivial to add a Water Pump for fresh-water sources. I can see how that would add to the immersion, but would it be fun? I'll leave it to Vic to decide.
josefrees

Post by josefrees »

They should make you build a bucket factory or something? That’s about the only thing you need to collect water from a lake
GodwinW

Post by GodwinW »

After expanding my empire to reach a lake,

I would click on SHQ inventory bar (1st tab from the left)

then see a massive amount of water "delivered from zones"; with most of it being wasted due to max storage reached

no water purification needed

Actually, after thinking about it some more, maybe it's fine really. It's not necessary to clean up water for use in farming, which is a big part of the use, and other industries which use water also may not need to filter it (say for cooling or other uses).

Then there's all the planets without water and such. Maybe a building is a bit superfluous after all. It's fine without building imo.

Return to “Shadow Empire”