Serbia/Galicia -- 1914

After Action Reports
rhinobones

Turn 8 – Galicia Russian Advances

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 8 – Galicia Russian Advances

The Russians continue their drive toward Lemberg. Once again, they are able to drive the Austrians back but, in most cases, do not advance. This failure to occupy the vacated territory has allowed the Austrians to continually rebuild the defensive line. Towards the Southern end of the right flank some Russian units are breaking thru the Austrian defense, but their numbers appear to be too small to be a credible threat to Lemberg.

At this point Russian loss penalty is 38, Austrian loss penalty is 20.

Attachments
T8Rus.jpg
T8Rus.jpg (337.57 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
rhinobones

Turn 9 – Galicia

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 9 – Galicia

Austrians concentrate on redeploying for the defense and do not conduct any counter attacks. The Russians are threatening to encircle a couple of divisions North of Lemberg. This is alright with the Austrian commander since any time and resources thrown at this pocket means less available to assault Lemberg. Using the cavalry as a screen, most of the stronger infantry brigades have been able to pull out of the pocket and are redeployed in better defensive positions.

South of Lemberg a few cavalry units are pushed out to form a screen against a Russian flanking movement.

Attachments
T9G.jpg
T9G.jpg (316.4 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 9 – Serbia

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 9 – Serbia

As expected, the cavalry raid on the East side has been spotted and attacked. However, as an unintended consequence of the Serbian attack, the Austrian cavalry unit retreated onto the rail line cutting supply to all Serb units around Belgrade. Unfortunately, the cavalry unit is in a disorganized status and unable to burn the R/R bridge. This little side show has gone from being a distraction to a ligament logistics problem.

In Belgrade, the Austrians line up a heavy artillery barrage (backed up by a HQ unit “minimize loss” attack) intended to soften up the Serb defense. The plan is to bombard Belgrade for a week before launching an all-out assault to end the campaign. Amazingly, the Serbs abandon Belgrade. Austrians immediately invest Belgrade and re-establish a defensive perimeter and prepare for counter attacks. Holding Belgrade is critical to the success of the campaign.

Attachments
T9S.jpg
T9S.jpg (258.39 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

StuccoFresco

RE: Serbia/Galicia -- 1914

Post by StuccoFresco »

I love seeing the two sides of the battle, iwth the players indirectly mirroring strategies and hopes.
John B.

Post by John B. »

Before RB finishes his report, I went back to turn 10 to show you the Entente losses. As you can see, absolutely huge losses by the Russians to take the territory that they did. Some of the losses are Serbs, of course, but this was not cheap. I'm sure there was a way that I could have better attacked, but I figured I needed to keep the pressure on where ever I could.

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (730.62 KiB) Viewed 296 times
John Barr
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 9 – Galicia Russian Advances

Russians assault again at all the usual places. Think that at this point they are too far away to make a credible threat to Lemberg. There has been almost no attempt to take the fortress at Przemsyl.

At this point Russian loss penalty is 49, Austrian loss penalty is 24.

Attachments
T9Rus.jpg
T9Rus.jpg (330.54 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 10 – Galicia

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 10 – Galicia

Austrians back fill the few places where Russian attacks pushed out the defenders. On the far right flank a few Russian units are making progress but they are too few in number to threaten Lemberg.

Attachments
T10G.jpg
T10G.jpg (314.88 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 10 – Serbia

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 10 – Serbia

Serbs attack Belgrade but are repulsed with heavy casualties. Austrians bring in more guns and troops to defend the city.

Outside of Belgrade the Austrians blow a R/R bridge. Further South Austrian cavalry attempts an end run around the Serb defenders. These are good moves but only a distraction.

Attachments
T10S.jpg
T10S.jpg (251.73 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 10 – Serbia Russian Advances

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 10 – Serbia Russian Advances

The Serbs rally all available forces and assault Belgrade. Their losses are terrible, but they are able to recapture Belgrade. All activity in Galicia is now secondary to Belgrade.

At this point Russian loss penalty is 55, Austrian loss penalty is 26.

Attachments
T10Serbians.jpg
T10Serbians.jpg (259.37 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 11 – Serbia

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 11 – Serbia

Austrian troop status is questionable. Almost half of the available troops are in reorganization status, are subdivided or both subdivided and in reorganization. Mixed in with the re-organizing units are four infantry brigades in good shape, a handful of small units and six artillery brigades available for the assault on Belgrade.

Two attacks are planned. The first attack is a bombardment (limited loss) supported by one small ground attacking at minimize losses. This attack is intended to reduce Serbian strength, expend their supply and expose any units set on Local Reserve. The second will be a total assault with all available troops to drive out the defenders.

The bombardment proceeds as planned. Serbs retreat from Belgrade as seen in an earlier bombardment. Then the unexpected happens, Austrians fail to advance into Belgrade and 9 combat rounds were burned. End of combat, end of turn and gone is the chance for a major win. The scenario passes on to the Russian/Serbian side who only need to march unopposed into Belgrade. Such is war.

Attachments
T11S.jpg
T11S.jpg (348.62 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Turn 11 – Serbian Advances

Post by rhinobones »

Turn 11 – Serbian Advances

Serbians march into Belgrade and save the campaign from being a total loss. Russian failure in Galicia is offset by Serb victory in Belgrade.

Final Russian loss penalty is 50, Austrian loss penalty is 28. Austrian casualties are 48% of the cavalry and 31% of the infantry. Heavy price to pay for a draw.

Die Kampagne in Serbien ist verloren

Attachments
T11Serbian.jpg
T11Serbian.jpg (285.17 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Colin Wright:

StuccoFresco

RE: Turn 11 – Serbian Advances

Post by StuccoFresco »

A battle decided by a single combat, you can say.
John B.

Post by John B. »

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco

It was. The recapture of Belgrade turned a significant defeat into a draw!
John Barr
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: John B.

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco

It was. The recapture of Belgrade turned a significant defeat into a draw!

I think the reason why there was only one assault and no follow up was the failure of the local Austrian commander to execute his orders. The orders were for a heavy artillery bombardment supported by a “minimize” land attack. The land attack was to be just enough to cause the Serbians to come out of their holes and get blasted. Instead the local commander conducted a land attack which consumed all time available. Maybe he tried to exploit an opportunity, maybe he misunderstood the orders or maybe he was out for glory. I don’t know what he was thinking, but I do know that the main Austrian assault was preempted by his actions.

Even if the Austrians had been able to enter the city there is reason to believe that the Serbians would have conducted an all-out, suicidal assault and pushed the Austrians out. They had done it before and would surely do it again to regain their beautiful Belgrade. Who knows what ultimately would have happened? Such is war.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

Return to “After Action Reports”