How does radiation work?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Ekaton

How does radiation work?

Post by Ekaton »

I have troops in rad 400 at all times and mines in rad 400+ and nothing happens. I had put rad treatment centres in my irradiated capitals, and rad infrastructure in most mines, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Is this rad level still too low or do I not understand something?
I need ten females for each male...
Jdane

RE: How does radiation work?

Post by Jdane »

Protection provided to the troops by envirosuits or vehicles, and to the population by operating (more exactly merely kept in shape by a skeleton crew after setting Upkeep mode) Assets is quite strong.
Strong enough to negate most environmental hazards, as looking into the relevant section of the manual tends to show.
There's probably room here for some balance adjustments.
Ekaton

Post by Ekaton »

My planet has a hostile environment, so envirosuits are a constant must, so perhaps that's why. I haven't invented any anti-rad upgrades for my troops, though.
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

The higher level normal combat armor gives something like 400 rads protection. Also, because the effect wears off and isn't cumulative, even if you went to high rad before you had the suits, once you get them there will be no trace of the problem. If you can tell me exactly what armor you are wearing, I can tell you the rad protection.
ramnblam

Post by ramnblam »

Under the readiness tab of a unit you can see environmental conditions. The manual says that you get a readiness and morale penalty and if high enough you start to have deaths.
Ekaton

Post by Ekaton »

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

Under the readiness tab of a unit you can see environmental conditions. The manual says that you get a readiness and morale penalty and if high enough you start to have deaths.

It doesn't do that, even with relatively high rads. I believe that the envirosuits prevent that, but I'm not sure.
Jdane

Post by Jdane »

They do. You really have to have to go into radiation hell to start seeing the effects on your troops (envirosuits negate radiation until it reaches level 5, which is more than 800 radiation in a hex ; and then you have another 800 margin before reaching the next level).

I lack experience of different planets to be able to tell is such radiation levels can occur frequently or not. There were plenty of religious fanatics nukings and reactor accidents during the Dissolution on my current planet and a good portion of it is irradiated, from what I could tell from the preview during generation, but since the game makes it so that you start playing in the area most favorable, the radiation levels there are manageable and I have yet to explore the whole globe.

Again, check 5.2.3. Environmental Exposure in the manual. It's all explained in detail and very plain to see.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Manual: 5.2.3 and 5.2.3.1

Troops that wear Environmental Suits got 100 Rad Resistance.
Combat Armor is 300
Battle Dress or Vehicle 500
Radiation Filter tech is +200.
Meanwhile assets jsut give a flat -400 Rad Reduction per. They basically protect their workers from working on a moon, that is how well insulated they are.

You should have 10-30% reduced Readiness and Moral.
Only after 400 non-negated rads do casualties set in.
Jdane

Post by Jdane »

Darn, I had read the manual wrong and thought the lvl 4 protection provided by an envirosuit against atmospheric and biological hazards applied to radiation in the same extent, which is not true. I stand corrected.

Thanks for having pointed it out again, zgrssd.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Jdane

Darn, I had read the manual wrong and thought the lvl 4 protection provided by an envirosuit against atmospheric and biological hazards applied to radiation in the same extent, which is not true. I stand corrected.

Thanks for having pointed it out again, zgrssd.
Yeah, RHL is confusing. I always keep thinking "Radiation" not "Respiratory" Hazard Level.
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

I hope that this entire system is brushed up. I love the idea of surviving in high radiation, and how it is now is less than satisfying due to no build-up of rads and the fact that they go away on their own.
MC456

Post by MC456 »

Can someone please confirm for me:
Radiation Treatment applies to the population within the zone, and Radiation Protection applies to the infrastructure on the hex? I tried checking the manual but it wasn't clear enough.
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

I asked that same question in "A Tale of Two Rad Treatments"

diamondspider had done some extensive testing and also provided some answers there:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4829694
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

I think "Radiation Treatment Center" is just a building. But, yes, the Treatment center and Anti-Rad infrastructure buildings seem to take the average of all radiation in the zone and provide a level of protection that varies based on population as stated. This is mostly about population exposure which lowers happiness of that population if there isn't enough.

Then there is the armor and vehicle protection of soldiers that reduces moral and readiness. This is handled by hex, but my guess is that the troops can get bonus protection in that zone from infrastructure if they need it (they usually don't since reasonable armor already gives a lot of protection).
MC456

Post by MC456 »

So does that mean you don't need to build RadProtect on mining hexes? As long as the protection is greater than the average radiation of the zone I can just build one on my city hex?
Thanks for investigating btw
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

I haven't tested this explicitly, but I believe it is true based on the manual and the things I have tested.

Return to “Shadow Empire”