The logistic System is a gigantic mess

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

MarbleToad

RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess

Post by MarbleToad »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

I often wish for some kind of mobile staging base away from the SHQ. I would be willing to sacrifice the efficiency with a two turn delivery in exchange for a warehouse full-fillment feature. It also offers everyone a nice targets to disrupt or destroy.

I absolutely agree with this. I was a bit shocked that troops cannot for example use nearby food structures as a priority but that the food circulates via the SHQ, which might be thousands and thousands of km's away.

This would be a cool addition.
diamondspider

Post by diamondspider »

I often wish for some kind of mobile staging base away from the SHQ.

++
Nemo84

Post by Nemo84 »

I honestly don't really care how Vic solves it. I just don't want to be forced to fiddle around with these traffic signs each turn lest my front supply completely collapses because someone built a farm next to my capitol.

In my case about all my issues would be solved by two new traffic signs. The first is one that simply automatically draws the minimum required LP for connected assets and is placed automatically on every dirt road created when an asset is built. This one solves about 95% of my traffic issues right now. The second is one that allows me to type in the exact amount of LP that is allowed to pass, instead of it being a relative fraction of a variable. This would solve the remaining 5%.
btonasse

Post by btonasse »

I'm surprised the OP has got so much negative reaction to a very valid point. And with such off-the-point arguments to boot (not to mention the hostile tone of some people here)!

It makes zero sense that one lvl 1 mine should attract thousands of log points just because you didn't click a button. Imagine sending 500 food to one unit that needs 20 unless you open a popup and limits how much food should be sent to that unit. Makes no sense, right? Adds no value to the game. Only one more chore.
MarbleToad

Post by MarbleToad »

ORIGINAL: Nemo84

In my case about all my issues would be solved by two new traffic signs. The first is one that simply automatically draws the minimum required LP for connected assets and is placed automatically on every dirt road created when an asset is built. This one solves about 95% of my traffic issues right now. The second is one that allows me to type in the exact amount of LP that is allowed to pass, instead of it being a relative fraction of a variable. This would solve the remaining 5%.

I like both of these ideas.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I have some ideas that are ripening guys. Lets just say I am thinking in the direction of allowing some "pull" systems to work in tandem with the current systems to make it easier if you do not want to micro-manage.

Give me some time. Should have something to show in at most a week or two or so. (ETA, no promise)
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
IamMax

Post by IamMax »

Hey folks,

Have an issue that's currently stumping me.

1. I have ~20,000 excess energy generation
2. I have a whole bunch of units that use energy
3. Those units are mostly not being resupplied with energy

The manual says that energy has no supply weight, "cables are assumed". So I don't understand why the units that are receiving their full allotment of fuel & food and a partial allotment of replacements aren't receiving energy.

(my account is too new for the boards to allow me to post a screenshot or save </3 :( :( :( etc)
Hazard151

Post by Hazard151 »

Do you have enough energy storage?

I've run into a similar issue, where my economy gets throttled because there's not enough energy storage, as the game distributes supplies from the storage, and then fills the storage. Anything in excess is wasted, or sold if possible, but that does mean that if the storage is too small, you can never supply enough goods.
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

I wouldn't assume that no weight means that Logistic Points aren't used at all. Fuel is same. If you don't have LP's, fuel is not delivered. Also, Industrial Points need Logistic Points to transfer.
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
IamMax

Post by IamMax »

ORIGINAL: Hazard151

Do you have enough energy storage?

I've run into a similar issue, where my economy gets throttled because there's not enough energy storage, as the game distributes supplies from the storage, and then fills the storage. Anything in excess is wasted, or sold if possible, but that does mean that if the storage is too small, you can never supply enough goods.

OH! If that's the case, then I'm certain that I do not have enough storage. 8k storage, but I have quite a few buildings that use 800 energy, so the great majority--or all--is likely being eaten by my buildings.

Which would also explain why some buildings in cities that have like 30,000 LIS running through them are getting like 785 out of 800.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel »

ORIGINAL: Vic

I have some ideas that are ripening guys. Lets just say I am thinking in the direction of allowing some "pull" systems to work in tandem with the current systems to make it easier if you do not want to micro-manage.

Give me some time. Should have something to show in at most a week or two or so. (ETA, no promise)

Sounds Great!
gatsby

Post by gatsby »

Please Please do not change the logistics system to accommodate people who don't like or simply can't figure the logistics out. Ive been playing this game almost all day every day since it came out. As my 20 year old son says this is the dream. We have not run into one logistics issue that has not been able to be solved by logic inherent in the system. Its either using the traffic signals, or increasing the amount of supply, or upgrading the roads, or extending with supply depots ....Its always solvable...Lots of games have pull systems...Please Mr. Designer HOLD THE LINE...

My experience with this is that it will just make those people who cant get this more frustrated. They are going to bail anyway. Frankly I was surprised by this thread.This is a marvelous game and one of its strengths is the logistics system...

There are a lot of us who are just playing the game and when we run into a problem don't immediately come here and say I don't like it so it must be broken. Its the culture of course. Petitions to rewrite the ending of Game of Thrones because they wanted another ending. I don't like everybody dying at the end of Hamlet do you think you can change that Mr. Shakespeare? And no I am not comparing GOT to Hamlet or this game.

But I have to say I don't get why folks these days think that just because they want something to happen it should.If you have a better idea go design your own game or if you don't like this push system then go play one of the myriad other games that use a simpler pull system.

Try not to be offended by the tone that you hear when you read this. I am accepting that you have a different opinion than me and I am not attacking any of you personally. I have just noticed this tendency to think that our fantasies of how we think things should be seem to get in the way of how things actually are...
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

Also, I'm concerned that fundamental changes to the current system will cause massive turn time increases by mid-game. [:(]

The current system is different to some peoples expectations, not broken.... [:)]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Tree Dog

Post by Tree Dog »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Yeah sounds great. I'm glad you're open to the idea, and that you think such a rework is still possible now.
GodwinW

Post by GodwinW »

ORIGINAL: gatsby

Please Please do not change the logistics system to accommodate people who don't like or simply can't figure the logistics out. Ive been playing this game almost all day every day since it came out. As my 20 year old son says this is the dream. We have not run into one logistics issue that has not been able to be solved by logic inherent in the system. Its either using the traffic signals, or increasing the amount of supply, or upgrading the roads, or extending with supply depots ....Its always solvable...Lots of games have pull systems...Please Mr. Designer HOLD THE LINE...

My experience with this is that it will just make those people who cant get this more frustrated. They are going to bail anyway. Frankly I was surprised by this thread.This is a marvelous game and one of its strengths is the logistics system...

There are a lot of us who are just playing the game and when we run into a problem don't immediately come here and say I don't like it so it must be broken. Its the culture of course. Petitions to rewrite the ending of Game of Thrones because they wanted another ending. I don't like everybody dying at the end of Hamlet do you think you can change that Mr. Shakespeare? And no I am not comparing GOT to Hamlet or this game.

But I have to say I don't get why folks these days think that just because they want something to happen it should.If you have a better idea go design your own game or if you don't like this push system then go play one of the myriad other games that use a simpler pull system.

Try not to be offended by the tone that you hear when you read this. I am accepting that you have a different opinion than me and I am not attacking any of you personally. I have just noticed this tendency to think that our fantasies of how we think things should be seem to get in the way of how things actually are...

Yes. This gem of a game inspires me to want to protect it too. Of course it's *possible* that a change is an improvement, but as someone who has so often seen the opposite (a change being negative for me personally while others like it but I end up in the minority so very often), please keep it intact.
My solution that I posted in this thread, if feasible, is something I would obviously not mind.
Nemo84

Post by Nemo84 »

ORIGINAL: willgamer

Also, I'm concerned that fundamental changes to the current system will cause massive turn time increases by mid-game. [:(]

The current system is different to some peoples expectations, not broken.... [:)]

If the private sector building a farm can cause an entire front to fall out of supply, then yes it is broken.
liq3

Post by liq3 »

I'm someone who fully understands the system and I want it changed to reduce micro. I want the mechanics to stay the same (or as close as possible), but having to mess with road signs all the time is tedious at best.

There's no decisions to be made, I'm not deciding where the logistics goes, I'm just trying to make sure the places that need it actually get it, instead of thousands going down empty roads. Making sure a major road has enough logistics when it's extremely predictable isn't gameplay, it's math homework, and I'm here to decide where to send my army or whether to support a cult, not grade 5 homework.
Hazard151

Post by Hazard151 »

Whenever I'm pushing into AI held territory I've got the future logistics screen up so I can adjust where it's going and it doesn't disappear into the AI's maze of dirt roads. Handling it is mostly mindless tedium, with the occasional bit of 'and if I build a road here across this stretch of land I can greatly decrease my logistical overhead.'
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Nemo84

ORIGINAL: willgamer

If the private sector building a farm can cause an entire front to fall out of supply, then yes it is broken.

Yes, you are quite right, that is a problem. [:)]

However, it does not rise to the level of "broken" and certainly not to the level of "... a gigantic mess" (this thread's title). [:(]

Fixing problems, tweaks to improve LIS are fine; fundamentally redoing it is not. [8|]
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Sieppo

Post by Sieppo »

Hear hear! Agree 100%. The pull system could be implemented for the independent asset LIS thiefs, though.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

Return to “Shadow Empire”