The Little Engine that couldn't

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Iron Knight

The Little Engine that couldn't

Post by Iron Knight »

I am being killed by a giant mountain range. My first game that is actually going alright and I just can't get supply over the mountains to deploy OHQs into my warzones. Lowest cost to get rails in is around 10k. Is there anything that can help lessen this? Heck I'd take cheats or a save editor at this point.

Still don't have a source of metal but running tons of recycling.

Am I just hosed?
diamondspider

RE: The Little Engine that couldn't

Post by diamondspider »

I don't plan on playing on a planet that exceeds 5% mountains until if and when I have mastered level terrain. I started a game in the mountains and hated it. That said, I look forward to the challenge of handicapping myself when flatter worlds get too easy :)

In fact, among the most important beginner tips is to avoid mountains on planet gen, IMHO.
Culthrasa

Post by Culthrasa »

Vic already toned down the cost for road construction in mountains but it is still quite steep (phun intended!)....
I agree with diamondspider to get low % mountain for starters. I treat them as waterhexes that I have to defend.. I can't cross them, the AI can. But it is no fun if it means no expansion direction indeed...
Naselus

Post by Naselus »

The price is still a bit ridiculous tho. I have one captured minor city that is on a high mountain... and just to connect it to the (flat) tile next door I need 5k metal and 5k industry, which is about a years' worth of my full empire of 8 cities surplus. I agree that it should be more expensive than running across flat land... but 40 times the price still seems excessive (tho it was 100 times, which was borderline absurd tbh)
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

until the costs for laying track and/or roads through mountain hexes become sensible, playing w/more than 2% mountains is unreasonable amounts of self-punishment for no appreciable gain
Bookworm83

Post by Bookworm83 »

Just use roads. It's perfectly possible to supply a small army via roads, and once you establish a presence you can build more logistics structures on the other side of the mountains. If you can't afford to build a road through high mountains, then you are probably too early in the game to be crossing them anyway.

That said I agree that it is just an increase of difficulty for the player since the AI does not have the same problems dealing with mountains.
DeltaV112

Post by DeltaV112 »

Rail points go really far, so there is the option of going around the mountains in most cases if you conquer some more terrain.

Return to “Shadow Empire”