why can the AI violate my borders with impunity?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

eddyvegas

why can the AI violate my borders with impunity?

Post by eddyvegas »

The pink guy sauntered right in. We are buddies, as you can see. I can't attack him without declaring war, but he can just cruise on in? Why is this happening? Thanks.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 123 times
eddyvegas

RE: why can the AI violate my borders with impunity?

Post by eddyvegas »

The pink guys invading
Attachments
pink.jpg
pink.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Laiders

Post by Laiders »

Umm that photo tells us nothing. We need a before and after.

Most likely you did not actually control the hexes they wandered into but rather they were minor or unaligned hexes you presumed you controlled. Then your neighbour reminded you that possession is nine tenths of the law.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

You have no formal status with them. Neither of you have agreed what the borders are, friendly or not.

In short, because the AI is a dick.
pauls2271

Post by pauls2271 »

No formal border agreement.

But note, that you can do the same thing to them. You can't attack units but you can take their territory.

I've had Minors come streaming in at me a few times. It usually presages a declaration of war.

zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

With Minor regimes you start in a "Cold War". Wich means nobody respects each others borders. Until you sign a peace deal, that is - then only warfare can change it.
Major Regimes generally have to respect your borders, until you declare warfare. They have to explictly declare war. This is a major regime. Asuming that is the group invading you, something is odd. However it is possible you just got 2 AI with the same color, and you are thinking about the wrong one?

There is one case where borders can move even with eahc respecting the others borders: 3rd parties. If a third party neither of you got fixed borders with walks in, it is "up for grabs".

The positioning tells me you propably surrounded some Non-Alinged Forces. But he went in and killed them, getting the hex.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

You have no formal status with them. Neither of you have agreed what the borders are, friendly or not.

In short, because the AI is a dick.

ORIGINAL: pauls2271

No formal border agreement.

But note, that you can do the same thing to them. You can't attack units but you can take their territory.

I've had Minors come streaming in at me a few times. It usually presages a declaration of war.

Major regimes can not invade each others borders, without a war.
There is no agreement nessesary, that is a base game rule.
This only applies to minor Regimes after you made a peace deal.

That he can see the color means it either is a Major or a Minor he has peace or war with.
Jdane

Post by Jdane »

I noticed there can be a one turn delay between the movement of troops of an invading regime and the declaration of war VID notification. (At least I think, I don't remember for sure but am still more than half confident about it.)
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Jdane

I noticed there can be a one turn delay between the movement of troops of an invading regime and the declaration of war VID notification. (At least I think, I don't remember for sure but am still more than half confident about it.)
If that can exist, it sounds like a bug. I always got the war declaration Vid message at the start of the turn thus far.

Plus he would still be at war with them, so no question if he wants to declare war.
Destragon

Post by Destragon »

Can you load an autosave and post a "before" picture of these borders, like Laiders said?
eddyvegas

Post by eddyvegas »

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I see that I have no formal peace agreement, yet any of MY movement into pink's territory (no need to attack) gives me a 'do you want to declare war' popup. But he's doing it to me.

I literally watched that invasion happen during the end turn animation. So he definitely did it.

I had one zone. As I expand the frontier with my troops, that means its my border, right?

I also thought, when he did it, 'welp, he's gonna declare war' but no war declaration came in the subsequent turns.

I had a ton of spies in his land and could see everything. I'm guessing all those agreements helped.

Unless someone can show me different, the AI did not play by the rules. But maybe there's a rule I don't know about yet...
Destragon

Post by Destragon »

ORIGINAL: eddyvegas

Unless someone can show me different, the AI did not play by the rules. But maybe there's a rule I don't know about yet...
Hard to do that when we don't have your save file. :P
If the major AI is walking into your territory without declaring war, then send the save of the turn before they do it to Vic.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

ORIGINAL: Destragon
If the major AI is walking into your territory without declaring war, then send the save of the turn before they do it to Vic.

It's definitely a major faction assuming his first picture is correct: "Primesso is a Major Regime"

Seems like it might be a bug.
Laiders

Post by Laiders »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
ORIGINAL: Destragon

It's definitely a major faction assuming his first picture is correct: "Primesso is a Major Regime"

Seems like it might be a bug.

The key part was 'walking into your territory'. No-one is really disputing that those units belong to a major.

The most likely scenario remains that the major did not violate territory and simply took unowned territory that the OP assumed they controlled. Not a bug.

If the OP has the saves or, at least, screenshots to prove territory violation by a major without declaration of war, then that is a bug and it should be reported alongside the evidence for investigation and fixing.
eddyvegas

Post by eddyvegas »

OK, that's gonna be a lot of boring looking through autosaves.

I am really into lawnmower-ing those hexes though. I highly doubt I did not drive over that area previously.

But I will look.
Laiders

Post by Laiders »

It depends. Normally you take all hexes in ZOC but you won't if a unit is already in that hex or already exerting ZOC on it, even if that unit is completely undetected. This is a slightly gimmicky way to detect the presence of units well before you otherwise would be able to. Some aberration, like an undetected minor or unaligned unit, may have prevented you from officially flipping the hex and left if open to your rival.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

ORIGINAL: Laiders
The key part was 'walking into your territory'. No-one is really disputing that those units belong to a major.

The most likely scenario remains that the major did not violate territory and simply took unowned territory that the OP assumed they controlled. Not a bug.

If the OP has the saves or, at least, screenshots to prove territory violation by a major without declaration of war, then that is a bug and it should be reported alongside the evidence for investigation and fixing.

I misread the implied question then. But looking at his second picture, the offending unit definitely walked into a hex that was surrounded by 5 units. And those units all have green/yellow supplies which means they should claim adjacent territory. I say that because AI Walkers and malnourished units only claim hexes they walk into.

Code: Select all

1,0 | 2,0
 0,1 | 1,1 | 2,1
    0,2 | 1,2

0,1; 0,2; 1,2; 2,1; 2,0 have his units.

enemy moved from 1,0 -> 1,1

If I read his pic correctly.
Laiders

Post by Laiders »

Only if there was no unit in that hex and the picture is indicative of the situation before the AI units moved. Given the AI units apparently conducted an illegal move and there are no other reports of them doing that, it would seem, prima facie, that OP missed something. Hence a thread of conjecture about possible things he missed.

Return to “Shadow Empire”