Steam Reviews

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

AlvaroSousa

Steam Reviews

Post by AlvaroSousa »

So far WarPlan has gotten nice reviews. If you got your Steam key please be sure to activate it and write a review of the game. It really helps me get established, generate sales, and keeps me making more games.

Doesn't matter if you have a negative or positive review. I read them all to see where and how I can improve. All feedback is appreciated.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
drommarnas

RE: Steam Reviews

Post by drommarnas »

Aye, sir!
Just wrote the review on Steam awaiting publication

--------------------------

Warplan is a turn-based WW2 hex strategy game. In other words, old-school strategy fun.
Growing up in the 1980s this is normal for me, but younger players who grew up with short-attention span RTS games should be aware of the slower pace.

How does Warplan compare with other games in the genre?
Most similar are the "Strategic Command" and "Commander: Europe at War" games.

"Warplan" is more sandbox and has no event system. So it is less historically accurate and has less of a WW2 feeling. "Strategic Command" is awesome when it comes to an accurate and immersive WW2 experience.

However, "Warplan" truly shines when it comes to UX. Instead of having to manually reinforce every single unit, your forces are automatically reinforced from the production pool (you set a slider and the rest is automatic). The naval war is much less tedious as is the air war.

The biggest downside of "Warplan" is undoubtedly the fact that you have to play your entire faction. As the Axis this is not too much of an issue. I don't even want to try the Allied faction though, no dice.
In "Strategic Command" you could for instance only play the Soviet Union, here you have to play UK, Soviet, France and USA all at once.
Since I'm interested mostly in Germany, it is not that bad, but be aware of that if you intend on playing the Allies!!

The very active and communicative developer Alvaro Sousa has created a little gem that is a great addition to your turn-based strategy library.
If you only want to buy 1 game in this genre, then I would recommend "Strategic Command: World at War" (or the European theatre version). But if you are a fan of the genre, then this game should not be missing in your collection.

Rating: 8/10
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

ORIGINAL: drommarnas

1) "Warplan" is more sandbox and has no event system. So it is less historically accurate and has less of a WW2 feeling. "Strategic Command" is awesome when it comes to an accurate and immersive WW2 experience.

2) The very active and communicative developer Alvaro Sousa has created a little gem that is a great addition to your turn-based strategy library.

1) I'm interested in how you think SC3 is more historically accurate. I've played SC WiE tons, just started with this. Most of the DE's in SC3 are answered the same after you've played a while, really no variability.

2) Hubert & Bill (SC3) are very attentive to comments and pro active in the forums. My first impression of Alvaro is he is the same. This gives me a lot of confidence in the long term viability of the game.

AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

SC3 has events and it is tough to write events that have a balanced decision. Most things are fairly absolute in decision making events in the sense of that the decision is a no brainer or can be mathematically calculated for it's equity. I didn't want to follow that path and instead put decision making into the strategy itself. Of the games I have played I noticed the choices of my strategic decisions.

But SC3 is really an excellent game. I have been around since SC2 and each version of SC gets better and better. The UI improves, the balance improves, the mechanics improve. It's a good game. Hubert and Bill are really amazingly nice people too. They helped me get into the industry after I did AoC and AoD for them.

WP and SC are just two different ways to do WW2 grand strategy.

Sometimes players complain I move too slow with modifications. But really I think about all the permutations and consequences of a change in the game. I try to make sure there is no min-maxxing solutions. So that a person who has been playing the game a while and a very skilled wargaming novice to the game have a closer to equal competitiveness.

I am very excited about WarPlan 2 in a few years after much of WarPlan has been ironed out.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “WarPlan”