Wait

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

surfcandy

Wait

Post by surfcandy »

I'll buy when hefty discount not worth current price and I'll test on Steam first.
Tejszd

RE: Wait

Post by Tejszd »

Each person sets their own line for the value of something.

Based on the activity in the forums for many the current price or sales price to date has made them believe it is worth it.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

All I know is sales broke all expectations on Matrix and Steam. Steam reviews are Positive.

Which means I will continue making more games.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

All I know is sales broke all expectations on Matrix and Steam. Steam reviews are Positive.

Which means I will continue making more games.

Definitely looking forward to more games from you!
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Worth every penny.
guggy

Post by guggy »

Probably the best value as far as wargames are concerned...
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Yeah I have to agree with guggy. Being a big board war gamer (box and digital) I can say I have paid way more for games on both sides that don't have as much to offer as this game does.
drommarnas

Post by drommarnas »

Does it make any sense to price Warplan at 39,99€ in the official Matrix games store and at 33,99€ on Steam??

I mean, Matrix makes more money if they sell it directly in their own store, yet they incentivice people to buy it on Steam. At the very least the price should be the same.
As it stands now you not only pay less on Steam, but you also get the valuable 2 hour trial period with an optional refund on Steam if you don't like the game.

I'm also still on the fence. Still having too much fun with Hearts of Iron 4 (BICE and Total War mods) and the Strategic Command WW2 games (Europe and World).
Probably will purchase Warplan once I grow tired of those games.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

The subject may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it`s an interesting & challenging game, most important, great support !
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I'll talk to them. I know pounds are more than dollars.

Realize I made more on Matrix than Steam. I don't make much on Steam.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
drommarnas

Post by drommarnas »

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

I'll talk to them. I know pounds are more than dollars.

Realize I made more on Matrix than Steam. I don't make much on Steam.

Well, both prices are in Euro. Here is a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/LYaFRv9
Don't know how the pricing is in other currencies, maybe it only affects the Euro-region.

I just think that you get screwed big time by the pricing that incentivices people to purchase the game on Steam instead of Matrix. So I would suggest to have them either drop the price on Matrix or increase it on Steam. I'm sure that everyone wants to support you by buying it on the platform that benefits you the most. To be honest though, I would currently buy it on Steam due to the combination of lower price and the two-hour trial period.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Matrix is in charge of marketing and pricing as that is not my field. They already ran the data points.

The Euro and Dollar are almost the same.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I fear that only Steam makes much on Steam
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Steam takes 30% from developers. The issue is there are so many developers that unless YOU market correctly you could get lost in the pile. That I know of they do zero marketing for you.

Matrix is the most popular and well known publisher on the internet for wargames. They handle all the marketing and publishing so I can focus on quality games.

Some developers focus on cookie cuttering games every 6 months. These are non wargaming developers.

Wargame developers invest years before their engine pays off. It won't make us rich but it makes enough money to live on if you are committed.

WarPlan engine and A.I. will build in future wargames I have. It was my model-T that I can improve over time.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

The sad fact is steam has 6 guys doing HOI IV play through vids on UTube whereas you/matrix has 1 as far as I see ( good guy though)
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'm one of those who won't use steam. To me, if I have to pay a few more dollars to buy from Matrix so be it. The developers need all the support they can get. However, if you're patient Matrix has some great sales.
Dalwin

Post by Dalwin »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

The sad fact is steam has 6 guys doing HOI IV play through vids on UTube whereas you/matrix has 1 as far as I see ( good guy though)
However, to be honest, HOI4 is not really even a wargame. It is a sandbox pausable RTS game with a WW2 skin. Even their devs say as much. I have well over 3k hours into that game but have put it on the shelf to gather dust.

True wargames are much more niche. Much of this is due to being slower paced. This makes them both less popular and less suitable for streaming.

I think for Alvaro to compare himself to HOI in any sense would be a mistake.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Played a lot of Hoi2 and later on AoD and especially Darkest Hour. I liked those games a lot. Bought Hoi3 but I never got into it and Hoi4 I skipped all together. I don't want a sandbox clickfest.

Warplan fits the bill quite nicely. I am a sucker for chrome and glitz, and Warplan could really use some more of that IMHO. But the game is great. And yes, more niche than Hoi4. But I prefer it.
drommarnas

Post by drommarnas »

ORIGINAL: Dalwin

ORIGINAL: Richard III

However, to be honest, HOI4 is not really even a wargame. It is a sandbox pausable RTS game with a WW2 skin. Even their devs say as much. I have well over 3k hours into that game but have put it on the shelf to gather dust.

True wargames are much more niche. Much of this is due to being slower paced. This makes them both less popular and less suitable for streaming.

I think for Alvaro to compare himself to HOI in any sense would be a mistake.

HoI4 is an awesome modding platform with a huge dedicated modder-base.
Vanilla HoI4 is a bland affair, but I take it that you've never player the grognard "Black ICE" mod, right?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1137372539

That is about as complex as it gets.

I agree though that games like Warplan and Strategic Command are best published by Matrix and at a relatively high price (40 bucks is the same price as HoI4). The reason is that a low price wouldn't attract a hell of a lot more customers cause the 90% market share of casual gamers (the Call of Duty crowd) wouldn't be interested in such games for any price. Plus, wargamers are typically older and less price-sensitive cause grown-ups have jobs and can easily afford 40 quid.

PS: I think that you miss one point about HoI4. The HoI-series was a blessing for wargames as they were dead for 15 years before HoI 1 was released. I fondly remember the 1980s and its hardcore turn-based hex war games. Without HoI the genre might still be dead. If anything then Warplan and the likes benefit from HoI's popularity.
sveint

Post by sveint »

HoI is a junk wargame. It's a fantasy game.

Grocery stores take a % of our food prices. It's distribution. Release wargames first on Matrix for those direct sales, release later on Steam for much more sales at 30% reduced revenue. No one is wrong or right, it's how the world works.

Edit to add that it's perfectly ok that a lot more people buy and play HoI than WarPlan. Even if I personally disagree.

Return to “WarPlan”