Two questions

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jesperpehrson

Two questions

Post by jesperpehrson »

In France, before the fall of France, there seems to be something fishy going on around Metz. As you can see I am trying to rail my MTN to Metz but I am not allowed to. In the productionstep later on I could either use the resource in Metz or the one to the west but not both for production.
It feels like the rail-line in the hex west of Metz is somehow blocked. Am I missing something?

The other question I do not have a picture from (I did however make a save if need be).
In the Italian coast CW has one LND with 1 nav-factor in the 3-box. There are several italian ships in various boxes. CW rolls 2 and italy rolls 10. in the coming combat there is one italian CA and the CW bomber. 9 surprise points. CW elects to have a fight with Naval air. Then it says there are no allied or axis bombers and goes straight to fight or abort.
Is there a logical explanation to this?
PBEMgames played
- Korea 50-51 MV as communist
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
paulderynck

RE: Two questions

Post by paulderynck »

On the rail move - yes. On the naval air - maybe.

You cannot rail a unit or a resource through a zone of control. They can enter and leave a ZoC if the hex is occupied by a friendly unit. And of course a rail move of a unit has to start and end at a "station" (HQ, city or port). As long as the 4-3 is in the resource hex to the west it can rail out, but no further going east than to Metz (and Metz must also contain a friendly unit). When we say cannot rail through a ZoC, the resource is able to rail to Metz because it is leaving one ZoC and entering another, but not going through a ZoC.

The naval air issue sounds to me like a recently fixed bug - are you using the latest version of the MWiF EXE?
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

The German units in Belgium exert a ZOC into the hex east of Metz. That is why the MTN unit cannot get to Metz.

The resource east of Metz can rail out (westward) to a factory other than Metz. The resource in Metz can only be used in Metz.

Since the Production phase is one of the end-of-turn phases, the resource east of Metz will be trapped in its own hex if the Germans move one hex farther west in Belgium. That happens in many games of WIF.

As for the Naval Combat, we would need to see the entire situation. Weather, convoys, states of war (who is at war with whom - one major power surprised?), search rolls, etc. can affect what can and cannot happen.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Ok thank you for explaining the situation in Metz.

About the navalcombat in the Italian coast:
CW and Italy are at war. It is not a surprise impulse. The weather is fine.
There is one italian convoy in the 0-box and no allied convoys.
We are using hot patch 03 01 00 02.

Here are five pictures to demonstrate what it looks like.

PBEMgames played
- Agonia y Victoria xx as Republican
- Plan Blau OV as Soviet
- The great war xx as Central Powers
- DNO XX as Soviet
Shannon V. OKeets

Ah, the bomber is incapable of affecting the sole Italian surface ship.

As I recall, that means surprise points cannot be used to increase the effect of the bomber on the surface ship.
Steve

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

What am I missing? The CW bomber has an air-to-sea factor of 1. With three columns right due to surprise points, that is a D and 2A versus one ship.
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

What am I missing? The CW bomber has an air-to-sea factor of 1. With three columns right due to surprise points, that is a D and 2A versus one ship.
I need to see a saved game for this.
Steve

jesperpehrson

Post by jesperpehrson »

Here it is.
Attachments
bugnavalcombat.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
PBEMgames played