Rail repair problems.

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

xhoel

Rail repair problems.

Post by xhoel »

I repaired 30 miles of rail with FBD 4 and am on a damaged rail hex. I have 3 MPs left but cannot repair the rail line. Is this a bug? What is preventing the repair from taking place?

See images below:

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
joelmar

RE: Rail repair problems.

Post by joelmar »

I imagine it must be in 1.12.03?

I've had the same problem once last year in 1.11.03.

I never understood why and it never happened again. I classified it in the weird very rare bugs. Maybe it's the same bug?
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Yeah, it's in 1.12.03. Hmmm yeah could be, will see what morvael says. Just annoying to have the MPs and not be able to repair the track :D
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

of course, very annoying! This could also be something else than what happened to me. Curious to see Morvael's answer
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

I had this recently too on turn 2 in the Baltic. Posted in discord. I think I was limited to the fifth instead of the sixth hex. Maybe they changed a < to an < accidentally?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Can you check what off-rail range for that hex shows?
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think it's not a bug:
A hex is eligible for FBD/NKPS repair if 1) the hex is in the Baltic zone (prior to Dec 1941) and within 6 hexes of a railhead, or if not in the Baltic zone within 4 hexes of a railhead, and 2) the number of hexes to the railhead does not exceed the RRV (Rail Repair Value) of the FBD/NKPS unit.

You satisfy condition 1, but not 2. Your unit is 4 hexes from railhead, but has only 3 MP remaining.
morvael

Post by morvael »

This usually happens when you cross a river, which eats 1 extra MP and then you have not enough to repair the last hex (3 instead of 4).
morvael

Post by morvael »

Assume this is an extra cost related to rail bridge repair, so while you can repair 4 hexes in clear terrain with no rivers, you can repair only 3 with a river. You could chain two FBDs to repair faster that single line. The same problem can be visible in snow, mud or blizzard. You repair less, but with two or three FBDs on one line you can still achieve maximum speed.
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the info morvael. Good to hear it is WAD.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Karri

Post by Karri »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Assume this is an extra cost related to rail bridge repair, so while you can repair 4 hexes in clear terrain with no rivers, you can repair only 3 with a river. You could chain two FBDs to repair faster that single line. The same problem can be visible in snow, mud or blizzard. You repair less, but with two or three FBDs on one line you can still achieve maximum speed.

This doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes I can repair 3 sometimes 4, with or without rivers. On top of that, seems to happen on wrong side of the river sometimes. I think there's some sort of MP calculation error here.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Perhaps it doesn't look for "cheapest" cost when checking rail around target hex.
morvael

Post by morvael »

1) Range to rail (or HQ) is now measured along the path of lowest MP cost to rail (or HQ), no longer as the crow flies, so it may be longer in some cases than before.
2) As FBD units moves it's RRV may drop due to fatigue and element damage (that should be low, except in bad weather).
morvael

Post by morvael »

Updated code and rules:
A hex will now be eligible for FBD/NKPS repair if:
* it is within 4 hexes of a railhead (6 in the Baltic zone prior to Dec 1941) - please note, that since 1.12.00 range to rail or HQ is now measured along the path of lowest MP cost to target hex, not in a straight line).
* it is within RRV (Rail Repair Value of the FBD/NKPS unit) hexes of a railhead
* it is connected to another friendly rail hex that has less than 2 damage

One has to look at "Off Rail Range" on the tooltip instead of counting manually, and all will be well [:)]

It will be also more natural in that it requires the player to follow actual rail connections between hexes, so you will now be blocked immediately on the famous "Vilnius trap" (see image), rather than being allowed to continue only to find out a turn later that the entire chain of repaired rail is still disconnected.

Attachments
rail.jpg
rail.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Return to “Tech Support”