Raider Questions

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

jcrohio

Raider Questions

Post by jcrohio »

Have some questions on using raiders.

1) If ships are raiding they must be on or adjacent to an active convoy route and be in raider mode. Some hexes on the map are adjacent to multiple convoy routes. If you place a raider adjacent to more than one convoy route will it effect all the routes it is adjacent to?

2) Many hexes around England are labeled NM Objective. I assume these are designed to decrease the National Morale of England. Do you have to be on one of these hexes to decrease the National Morale of England or just be adjacent? If you are on one these hexes and also on or adjacent to a convoy route do you both decrease the National Morale of England and raid the convoy route?

Thanks
Jack
Jack
Xsillione

RE: Raider Questions

Post by Xsillione »

1. Yes, but only to the limit of the raiding ship, so if you would raid 20 mpp, but one route has 15 and the other is more than 5 you raid 20 mpp, not 20 from both.

2. There are two naval hex type near the UK, one for blockading Germany (from iceland to scapa flow and from scapa flow to norway), the other is to blockade the UK (leading the western UK ports.) Both need only the be near (adjacent.) if you are near a route and a blockade hex, you can do both, if you in raiding mode, otherwise only the blockade will trigger.
The Land

Post by The Land »

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

2) Many hexes around England are labeled NM Objective. I assume these are designed to decrease the National Morale of England. Do you have to be on one of these hexes to decrease the National Morale of England or just be adjacent? If you are on one these hexes and also on or adjacent to a convoy route do you both decrease the National Morale of England and raid the convoy route?

You have to be on the hex. And you can raid the convoy as well, the NM hexes do not affect the rules for convoy raiding or vice versa.
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks both of you.

Xsillione you make the statement "you would raid 20 mpp." Is there a raid value for submarines that I am not seeing? Do all naval units have some kind of raid value?

Another thing I don't quite understand is I get messages somewhat randomly from America that they are unhappy with me for my actions against their convoy routes. What causes this? I understand that there is one convoy route from the US to England. But I feel I get this message even when I avoid placing subs on that convoy route.

Thanks for any help
Jack
Jack
The Land

Post by The Land »

Thanks both of you.

Xsillione you make the statement "you would raid 20 mpp." Is there a raid value for submarines that I am not seeing? Do all naval units have some kind of raid value?

Another thing I don't quite understand is I get messages somewhat randomly from America that they are unhappy with me for my actions against their convoy routes. What causes this? I understand that there is one convoy route from the US to England. But I feel I get this message even when I avoid placing subs on that convoy route.

Hi Jack,

Yes each unit has a 'convoy raiding' value, which is also affected by their tech level (and maybe their readiness?). The MPPs taken by each raider are the higher of their effective raiding value, or the amount of MPPs in the convoy. It's in the manual somewhere, if you look for it.

The Americans become unhappy whenever you have units on the UK national morale hexes - I think this is independent of the convoy raiding mechanic (but I'm not sure). There is also a special unhappiness event from the Lusitania system. But basically if you are reducing UK NM then you are increasing US war entry.
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks. I think I got it now. I assume you are talking about page 140 in the manual for the convoy raiding value. So it is not a finite number associated with a particular unit but a formula derived by different factors. Makes sense.

So summarizing the whole thread:

1. Each submarine is capable of inflicting a random amount of MPP damage based on the formulas on page 140. If a sub is adjacent to multiple convoy routes it just means this amount may be divided between the different convoy routes.

2. If you place a submarine in ANY mode on a NM Objective hex you are reducing UK NM but increasing US war entry.

3. If you place a submarine in Raid mode on a NM Objective that is also adjacent to a convoy route hex you are reducing UK NM, increasing US war entry, and inflicting MPP damage.

Seem like an accurate summary?

Thanks
Jack
Jack
Xsillione

Post by Xsillione »

The 20 mpp was an example number, but in the range of reality.
Each ship able to raid some mpp, based on strength, xp, tech, supply and readiness. Subs have a much higher value, than other ships, and big ships have higher than small ones. A good sub can do 20 mpp range raiding, other ships will do only in the range of 10.

The US war entry can go up, is German units are on the UK spots, It will go up faster, if unconditional sub warfare is allowed in the region, and you can trigger the Lusitania event which will give a one time boost for US entry. It can go down is the Entente do the German blockade, but with much smaller chance, so if both done it will raise in general, but slower than if only Germany doing bad thing to the US merchants.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks Xsillione.

So war entry will go up when any ship is on a NM Objective but will go up more if you have chosen unrestricted naval warfare. That's good to know.

Jack
Jack
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Thanks Xsillione.

So war entry will go up when any ship is on a NM Objective but will go up more if you have chosen unrestricted naval warfare. That's good to know.

Jack

The unrestricted hexes to the west of the UK only have an effect if Germany is using unrestricted naval warfare.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Thanks for straightening that out
Jack
Jack

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”