Cost of Building ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DOCUP

Cost of Building ships

Post by DOCUP »

Is there a place online where I can find what ships cost to be built? I am looking for ships from the 19teens to 1940s. Or is there a round about way saying a BB cost around this much and so forth? I know wiki will sometimes have the price.
geofflambert

RE: Cost of Building ships

Post by geofflambert »

I notice the Wiki on the Brooklyn Navy Yard has 345 citations! I guess you could start looking in there.

Attachments
cita.jpg
cita.jpg (460.64 KiB) Viewed 147 times

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

It is not always easy to determine the actual cost of building a warship given the regulated economies with non-market-driven prices

This can get you started, it covers English WWI ships
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/wcosts.htm
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

You can try congressional authorization and spending bills. That might help with the "expected" cost. You would have to track down additional authorizations to track cost overruns. This would be easier to do for larger units such as BBs and CVs.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Also, try DANFS. I am not sure if you will get every ship, but major USN acquisitions might have a costing.

The other place to try is the US GAO. I was once researching when the POMCUS sites in Westen Europe were completed (building), and when their stocking was complete. I found what I needed to know in the GAO documents from the 1980s, along with the DASHMs. They were never completely stocked by the way.
"I am Alfred"
Barb

Post by Barb »

DO not forget the total price tag usually consisted of two separate bills - one for the contracted yard to build the ship, the other for the Navy (subcontractors) to equip it!

E.G. while Hull, Machinery, accommodation, electric cables, bunks/lockers, stoves, toilets, etc would go from the Yard Bill, the armament (including turrets, torpedo tubes, DC throwers/rails), radars/directors, fire-fighting equipment, anchors+chains, ropes, messing equipment, etc would go from the Navy Bill. Some additional things could be sponsored - like fine china for the officers mess, etc.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Shattered Sword gave costs and refit costs for some IJN CVs. No tables etv, they are just in text.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

spence

Post by spence »

The USCGC Taney cost $2.5 million dollars in 1936 (in the game on 12/7/41 after its initial re-armament). Her sisters (which show up in 1944-45) also cost $2.5 million in 1936 when they were initially constructed (the subsequent re-armaments and conversions added to the initial cost).
fcooke

Post by fcooke »

That class of cutters were truly value for money. Other than the one lost in the Atlantic in WW2 the rest served in the Coast Guard into the 80s.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks guys. GetAssita, that was a big help.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”