when?

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Phoenix100

when?

Post by Phoenix100 »

It's looking great, but I must have missed the release date. When's it out? Thanks.
fritzfarlig

RE: when?

Post by fritzfarlig »

Looks like a Big secret try to ask too
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No, it's not released yet. We're still a couple quarters from having it wrapped up.

So much to do!
carll11

Post by carll11 »

"quarters"...so, summer?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Hopefully, but there is still lots to do.
carll11

Post by carll11 »

'several' quarters then....
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Potentially, yes, unfortunately.

MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Fine wine takes time? [:)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Feels like an aged scotch! HA!
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

Quarters? Really?

I'm sorry Jason, I know your a one man show and have done a great job with the series but I must start to protest. Its been 4 and a half years since Middle East and we haven't even seen any of the DLC that's been stated is coming. Even if you get on that the day after Vietnam comes out we're looking at a minimum of 2021? Not to mention all the WW2 titles are going to be the first couple years with the rest to come as DLC. Its going to take decades at this rate for a game that is showing its age more so in 2020 than it did in 2015. Some of the design decisions still have limitations from the Talonsoft days. Not being able to easily scroll on the scenario list is a good example. Clicking a button to scroll worked in the 90's but expecting that in the 2020's not so much. As much as I still love the series I can't say I will by the time Rising Sun 2 or the Cold War releases come in 2025 or 2030 at this rate.

I don't mean any offense but we are impatient consumers with lots of entertainment options competing for our money after all.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I know your a one man show

So no, I am not a one man show. There is a team behind me. They are all volunteers though and unfortunately all have real lives outside of the gaming work.
Even if you get on that the day after Vietnam comes out we're looking at a minimum of 2021?

Unfortunately, that's probably correct, as well as the FREE UPGRADE to Middle East to be at the same standards as Vietnam.

As we are focusing on improving how HAL plays and the game experience, these are huge and fundamental changes. This takes time to test and retest. I explained this here: HERE
Not being able to easily scroll on the scenario list is a good example. Clicking a button to scroll worked in the 90's but expecting that in the 2020's not so much.

Good suggestion, something to add to the wishlist.
As much as I still love the series I can't say I will by the time Rising Sun 2 or the Cold War releases come in 2025 or 2030 at this rate.

Which is why we are stepping away from the "Release one massive game" and move to the DLC packages after Vietnam. Vietnam is a HUGE game, but once it is done, it will be put aside so we can focus on offering the smaller initial releases of East Front III, West Front II, Pacific Front and Cold War in smaller, more manageable pieces - which will be more frequent, instead of the 5 year cycle we seem to be on.
I don't mean any offense

No offense taken, totally understandable from your point of view.

Please be patient and understand we're not lollygagging. We're working daily on these games to make the them best in the genre.
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

I know you and the team are working very hard and have been for the past decade so I would never accuse you of lollygagging. The work your doing now is huge and your doing an engine that will span the next decade. That's not easy.

My gripe is more directed at Matrix/Slitherine rather than you. They really need to bump up the resources and expand the project to make reasonable dates and try to grow the series. Going 5 years between titles is also a challenge for the marketing guys and it makes it tough to grow the series. Not having a budget is no support at all really. Its a great series and I really do wish they would support it better but what can you do. All I can think of really is to fuss in forums :)

Jason - I don't expect a response on my view of the publisher so don't feel obligated. In fact the less you say about them is probably in your best interest. If its good for you its good for the series.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho
Not being able to easily scroll on the scenario list is a good example. Clicking a button to scroll worked in the 90's but expecting that in the 2020's not so much.

Good suggestion, something to add to the wishlist.
Thanks for the feedback! Just a quick pop into this:

Your wish list item has actually already been implemented earlier this year for the CS Vietnam BETA: scrolling with <arrow> keys and selecting with <enter>. Agreed it was long time due, and makes such a difference to selecting scenarios.

There's also a change to Scenario Selection dialog where all scenarios are Sorted by Date by default , to provide a chronological view to scenarios provided.

Here's a look at today's BETA build's Scenario Selection dialog opening view:

Attachments
scenarioselection.jpg
scenarioselection.jpg (295.44 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

^^ Arrow keys for line-by-line scrolling, PgUp/Dn for page-by-page scrolling, to be precise. Not visible above, of course.
---
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

We are getting a bit close to the end of Q1 (still showing on the Campaign Series Legion Website as the release date) now, so with scenario construction so far up to 1968 is Q3 or Q4 a more realistic release window?

Perhaps one option here would be to release the full game with for functionality through to the end of the time period (not sure if this is going to be 1979 or 1985) but only provide scenarios prior to 10th June 1968 when General Westmoreland was replaced by Abrams. The later scenarios could then be released when your ready later on as a free DLC package.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Cheers Hoplite, yes, we need a bit more time. I will let Jason to say more once we have more information available on this. Bottleneck is not the scenario design per se, it is proceeding quite smoothly. What is time consuming is the CS Event Engine (CSEE) scripting, or programming, as playtesting is revealing areas still needing some tweaking.

That said, we are definitely seeing the most capable AI opponent with help of CSEE.

One area where we might save some time is if certain scenarios would be dedicated as Side A or Side B only. That would mean we'd need to create CSEE functionality for one of the sides only per said scenario. Typically the side's that defending is less complicated with their battle plans, and takes less time.
---
carll11

Post by carll11 »

ORIGINAL: Hoplite1963

We are getting a bit close to the end of Q1 (still showing on the Campaign Series Legion Website as the release date) now, so with scenario construction so far up to 1968 is Q3 or Q4 a more realistic release window?

Perhaps one option here would be to release the full game with for functionality through to the end of the time period (not sure if this is going to be 1979 or 1985) but only provide scenarios prior to 10th June 1968 when General Westmoreland was replaced by Abrams. The later scenarios could then be released when your ready later on as a free DLC package.

+1..excellent idea.

I remember summer of 19 'rumors' of a Christmas release.....who knew it would be Christmas of 2020? I'd strongly suggest taking Hoplites idea/suggestion and running with it, this game has been teased long enough.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Looks like that is the path we will be going.

Core game will be Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967, the first DLC being 1968-1979 (Although the OOB's will go up to 1985, as per usual) with a second DLC covering the Korean War.

I won't give a suspected release date, as there is still AI development happening, which impacts all of the scenarios.
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

A good bottle of Genuine American Busthead (Bourbon) takes time to develop in the charred oak keg![:)]

Yes like everyone else I have waited for Vietnam. I am willing to wait as long as it takes. Because when one rushes they tend to make mistakes. Stay the course and take the time to do it right![;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
dox44

Post by dox44 »

+1 to Big Ivan. do it right...

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”