Secrets of deployment

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

AngrySwan

Secrets of deployment

Post by AngrySwan »

There are some opportunities to deploy even in the first scenarios where all units are deployed. You can still remove some and replace them by better ones, although your resources are limited.

InLwow scenario there is an airfield and a city in the north. It only has one road going to Kovel but still there are some chances for deployment, like:

- give the heavy 8 wheel recon cars to the 162th recon battalion;
- the 54th Nebelwerfer regiment can be upgraded to brigade;
- I also removed the light flak battalion and deployed a battalion of SdKfz251 mounted rocket artillery. And guess what - the enemy force in the north did not even move for a few turns and then went for the bridges (because the other coast was guarded) but the artillery wagons went first and were of course ambushed on the bridges; after that destroying the infantry division was easy.
- replaced the light division in the south (which I do not use anyway) with an extra fighter regiment, III/JG 77.

In Kishinev you can deploy around the city controlled by Germans. Since there are few units in that scenario and I need them all, I just upgraded the 150 mm gun regiment giving it trucks instead of horses - I will need this unit later for Crimea.

Riga has both a city and an airfield near Labiau so AG North saw a major upgrade:
- the two motorized divisions not deployed in the first echelon;
- the obsolete tanks in 6th and 8th Panzer div. replaced by Pz IIIJ;
- the StuG battalion and 37 mm AT gun battalion replaced by a StuG brigade;
- added a Nebelwerfer brigade (a motorized Elite division or a battlegroup of 2 joined Army motorized brigades, which makes division strength, + a Nebelwerfer brigade is very useful for a Panzer group);
- separate regiments of JG 54 merged into one brigade;
- another fighter brigade JG 51 and an extra regiment IV./JG 51;
- removed the separate bomber regiments and added 2 brigades of Ju-88 (KG 76 and KG 77 and a brigade of Stukas (StG II) so that the Soviet tankmen do not think life is a bed of roses.

Also, in Minsk there are some deployment positions that become visible after you take Baranovichi. A strong motorized force and a Nebelwerfer brigade could be useful for taking Minsk, instead of the small motorized brigades. It can be either an Army battlegroup or Das Reich if it is available.

All this is quite within historical limits, in this campaign I do not create units that did not exist.

The Soviets do not have this option because of lack of resources (one of the reasons why Stalin shot the commander of his forces in Belarus after Minsk battle.)
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.

Return to “The War Room”