Cargo tutorial question, picking up already deployed ground units

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Monkie

Cargo tutorial question, picking up already deployed ground units

Post by Monkie »

In the cargo tutorial the player is tasked with picking up 3 already deployed ground units using a helicopter.

From what I am understanding you can only place cargo at airports and on board ships or ports using the "edit cargo" command. How exactly can one place ground units already deployed anywhere on the map so they can be picked up by helicopter?

I thought you could place any unit such as infantry and it would be transportable but this is not the case since it's not considered "cargo".
Monkie

RE: Cargo tutorial question, picking up already deployed ground units

Post by Monkie »

nobody?
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

When a helicopter picks up a squad of soldiers it can return to its home base. I haven't tried this but theoretically you could change the helos home base in mid flight and go to another place. Dropping infantry from mountaintop to mountaintop, I don't believe it can be done. Don't forget CMO is primarily a naval and air simulation, as great as the game is, it has it limitations, ground operations isn't one of its strength right at this moment, maybe further down track.
Formerly Goodwood

Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Well basic transport of cargo is done pretty well overall, much better than having to use teleport in the mission editor to simulate it. I have been able to take troops from a base (airfield, heliport) and then drop them and pick them up repeatedly with no issues.

I just would like to know how the creator of the cargo tutorial was able to initially place the troops in the middle of nowhere without a base. I've looked at the cargo tutorial through the editor and don't see anything special was done to do this.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”