Guns vs butter policy

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

apec

Guns vs butter policy

Post by apec »

From the interesting AARs posted so far I see that there is a new decision event that allows Austria to spend part of its MPP to boost its moral.
I think it would be a nice feature to allow every nation to decide, anytime in the game, to spend a % of its MPPs for a National Morale boost. This to simulate the various national politics e.g. extensive drafting, labor work hours, food rations for civilians etc. This % can be incremental e.g. -5% MPP gives 100 NM, 10% gives 200 NM etc.; at the same time you can also decide to get more MPPs at the expense of the NM to simulate more harsh civilian conditions in support of the war effort. This Guns&Butter policy could be adjusted every turn to cope with the various game situations.

Regards,
Markiss

RE: Guns vs butter policy

Post by Markiss »

This sounds like a good idea...but I think it would cause some serious problems the way the game is currently set up.

I would love a way to counter-act falling national morale, and its dire effects, as I think most people would.

But the game currently uses national morale event scripts to achieve game balance, such as falling French morale during the German invasion, Soviet morale bumps when the WAllies achieve certain milestones, etc. If a player could simply buy off the negative effects of these events or accentuate the positive ones, the game wouldn't be able to steer the match in the historical direction, and it would lose some of its historical flavor.

Maybe that's desirable, and maybe it's not, but that is a discussion for another day. I think allowing players to openly manipulate national morale would cause unintended balance problems the way the game is currently set up.
Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”