Documentation! Do you use it?

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

CapnDarwin

Documentation! Do you use it?

Post by CapnDarwin »

How do you prefer to learn a game? Are manuals worthwhile and for what purpose/use? IF you are new to a system of era of conflict, would you read how-to type information?

What other considerations for documentation should we be looking at for the new Cold War game series?

Comments and thoughts welcome.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
zakblood

RE: Documentation! Do you use it?

Post by zakblood »

so far only ever read manuals if i get stuck and really need to, imo the game should teach all and if you have been playing long enough, be understandable from the off without one, some in game tutorials and some hints on everything that needs one should be more than enough so a manual is only needed for reference or to stop the table from rocking when you place your tea on it.
I don't have time for reading books
i love a good book and read about one every week or so, but manuals aren't books imo

[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Personally I don't like games that aren't complicated enough to make a manual pretty much mandatory. I like pdf manuals and keep them all on my iPad for reading, I try to avoid paper manuals these days but also hate html wiki-style "manuals".
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

What puts you off on the Wikis?
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I tend to play the game and check the manual if I get stuck...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin
What puts you off on the Wikis?
All the links, etc--going back and forth between sections via the links drives me crazy, and also often they are web-based you can't read them in places without internet access (flights, etc.). I've read some wiki-style manuals converted into pdfs but they still suffered from poor formatting with the links, etc. Also, most of the wiki-style manuals that I've encountered are woefully incomplete.
JoeMK

Post by JoeMK »

I liked to print out all your PDFs regarding Red Storm. I like to feel the paper, I like to read the paper version, delighting to be off the digital world. And a good written manual transports all the developers' important intentions in addition to the description of mechanics and rules. While reading in that analog manner, bunches of pictures are screening, maneuvers and tactical possibilities, and so reading also gives great pleasure. A great pleasure before experiencing the great excitement of failing or triumphant battle plans.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

These wargames are all games, each one with its own game mechanics. For better or worse. Players expect to understand the rules, the game mechanics. Certainly there should be in-game assistance, but at the end of the day most players want to be able to go back and read the manual to better understand what the game is "doing under the hood."
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Tutorials are very helpful. I always play through them on any game. I could point to CMANO as a good example of Tutorials being well arranged.

Each is a like a small scenario. Every step of the tutorial, a Pop-Up advises you about the what and how of each aspect of the process.

So my vote goes to Tutorials supported by the manual............rather than a Manual supported by tutorials.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

These wargames are all games, each one with its own game mechanics. For better or worse. Players expect to understand the rules, the game mechanics. Certainly there should be in-game assistance, but at the end of the day most players want to be able to go back and read the manual to better understand what the game is "doing under the hood."

This is the way I see it after years of wargaming on computers. And the best part of the best manuals are often in designer notes, and what's under the hood.

I did refer to the manual for this game on a few occasions because there were some new wrinkles.

I've spent much more time in the scenario building manuals.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I go through the manuals when I first purchase a game and then use them later as reference on the finer points of the game mechanics.

That being said, updating manuals almost always seems to be a low priority task and inevitably they become out of date.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”