Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Emperor0Akim

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Emperor0Akim »

[&o][&o][&o][&o]

Thank you, blessed be the ground you walk upon.

===== EDIT =====

and because I read your answer before I looked in the thread for the Modding Guide ...

I let the author speak for himself :

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Guys, the DWU Modding Guide was probably removed from web access after the game was released. It is included with the game. It can be found in your ..\DWU\Manuals folder.
Constant DW2 Wishlist :
Sort build locations by Solar System
Cycle Idle Ships
ETA for Ships and Fleets
Messages for finished Ship Missions
Messages for Character Promotion ( Skills / Traits )
khanobius

Post by khanobius »

First of all thanks for a great work!
I am back again and again to DWU partially because of this mod.

I have just updated to 1.77 (from I believe something like 1.66) and I have found some strange behaviour with my colony regarding taxes, happiness and development.
I have started new game using RetreatEU scheme.

The problems are:
- my colony has always "The current tax rate is to high!(-5)" modifier even on tax level 0
- happiness seems to ignore tax level (as mentioned above it stuck at -5 modifier),
- there is no change to growth based on happiness/tax,
- my development level stuck at 50% (it even drop from the game start) with 3,7G population and having tones of 3 luxuries and some of every other.

I had wait a few months in game to check if modifiers gets recalculated but no.

Does anybody have similar problem?
I will try to downgrade bacon mod tomorrow just to be sure if this was mod fault but apart from bacon I had not changed anything else.

EDIT:
It looks like it is not problem with Bacon mod (at least part regarding modifiers).
After some testing it looks like Corporate Nationalism lock hapinness modifier.
It may be even intended although it is not described in Galactopedia.

Attachments
DU-3.jpg
DU-3.jpg (145.64 KiB) Viewed 531 times
tofudog

Terraforming for the Bots?

Post by tofudog »

I have been playing some BaconRetreat lately and it seems that the computer factions don't build terraforming facilities (from a Tech 5, old empires start, so they have the tech and they have the economy to do so - but they don't.
Is there something I can do about that?
Maybe a setting that I overlooked?
I really like this feature, which allows me to settle everything that isn't up on a tree by the count of three, but being the only one to convert all those below 50% worlds kind of gives me an unfair advantage (like having over a hundred colonies, not a single shot fired (except at that one sand slug), while everybody else is at each others throats trying to breach twenty).

Thanks for sharing this fun mod by the way.

WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...
Retreat1970

RE: Terraforming for the Bots?

Post by Retreat1970 »

Retreat was made before baconmod in a time when terraforming facilities were useless. Therefore I kept them out of the AI build.

Feel free to modify to your hearts content.
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

How would I go about doing that?
In particular I would like the computer to settle those low-quality worlds in the first place.
The Policy files already show
"ColonyAllowFacilityTerraformingFacility ;Y"
with a threshold of 500 for all the races I randomly checked
which is unchanged from vanilla.
The only thing I could do there would be to set the threshold to 1, which I suspect would only lead to more elegible planets not being served, but I will try that.

I was hoping for something like
"allowAsteroidColonies=true
asteroidColonyPrevalenceDivisor=100" (from the bacon settings files) - just for low qualiy worlds,
but any pointer to where to influence the "AI build" (in addition to Policies) would be helpful too.

Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

It's been A LONG time since I've played or modded, but I would suspect no one researches it. Adding it to the research queue in the correct spot should fix it.
tofudog

Post by tofudog »

Turns out that this was a dead end.
Twenty races had it, 24 did not, plus mechanoid and shakturi who have everything right out of the door.
My game setup was starting Tech 5 anyway, so everyone should have had it regardless of the scripted path.
But to be sure I added it on the remaining ones, right after the parent project (continental terraforming).

Thanks for trying though.

Chris36

Post by Chris36 »

Great mod with nice features! But i wonder if it's the right the pirates got that very high costs and maintenance cost? After doing my first game i recognized lower pirate activity as usual. Loaded up as pirates and i got there ridiculous costs and higher maintenance costs. Don't know if this is wad? When i change the costs factor for pirates(shipMarkupFactorPirates) to a non floating number like 2 and 3 the costs are very near to vanilla. Putting 2.5 back then the costs are like e.g. 60k to build a copy of the starting pirate base.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Thanks.

You are in luck. I do have it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeo3ogg4dc0pr ... K.pdf?dl=0

Isn't this the same modding guide as what is found in the Manuals folder of the Distant Worlds Universe folder which is added during the install.... or is this another version?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Thanks.

You are in luck. I do have it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeo3ogg4dc0pr ... K.pdf?dl=0

Isn't this the same modding guide as what is found in the Manuals folder of the Distant Worlds Universe folder which is added during the install.... or is this another version?

Its the same. Both the person asking for it and I forgot that it is included in the game.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

Been a while since I was here but ... found a rather hilarious bug

Tribute is totally broken in the current 1.77 version.

It says it should do 0.1 (or 10% according to the default settings) in the settings but it is actually doing 10x that amount and is taking 100% of all tax income currently from subjugated dominions.[:'(]

When I set it to 0.3 (which should be 30%) it is actually doing 30 x 10% of the total tax income or 300% of all tax income ...

Set it to 0.5 (which should be 50%) and it does 50 x the total tax income or 500% of all tax income ... AI's going broke like crazy with unrecoverable debt ...

So I tried to set it to 0.01 which at this point you'd think would do 10% by the math previously displayed but it actually still does 100% of tax income or 10 x ... same result with 0.05 which does 50x or 500%. It's clearly not reading the number correctly somehow.

Seems the calculation is broken at the moment and doesn't account for smaller digits and does 10x the amount it says. I wonder whats going on here.

Update Edit:

Don't know why ... but when I entered a comma instead of a period it worked properly ... I wonder what is causing this? Does this mean all the other settings that use periods instead of commas are broken too in my game?

I'm dutch so we use commas rather than periods for decimals ... is the game not reading it properly? I'd think that the game would use the format that is used too but I'm curious now ... some more tinkering is in order.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

I'm dutch so we use commas rather than periods for decimals ... is the game not reading it properly? I'd think that the game would use the format that is used too but I'm curious now ... some more tinkering is in order.

Yes. This was discovered and noted somewhere in this thread about 10 or 15 pages back. If your language uses commas as decimal points then use commas in the settings file too. ou did discover a bug of sorts though; I didn't know it would enforce tribute over 100%. Brutal but I think I'll allow it.
BlindOne

Post by BlindOne »

Ah interesting!

Thanks for the clarification, I did not realize it was a known issue. Perhaps a small note in the readme would be in order for the lost folks out there who are like me? Took me more than 3 hours to figure this out lmao ... As for the tribute going over 100% ... actually anything above 50% is totally wrecking the AI. 100% or more means they just go bankrupt in one year and will never recover from it afterwards [8|] but it is indeed kinda hilarious to see. Them cats are in the debts of BILLIONS, Was funny to see my subjugated catpeoplez paying 3x their annual tax income and they could not levy more taxes to save their lives ... as it would only increase their debts further [:'(]

As side note, now everything works fine thanks to the power of commas, but realized another possible cool feature though not sure if its even possible would be to allow your constructor ships to build in subjugated territory. This way I can park a big giant wall of defensive bases or starbases over and near my loyal subjects *cough* filthy aliens *cough* capital and have them pay for the wall that keeps them loyal ...[:'(] that should bring them right back in line if they decide to speak badly of my people and decide to do street protests like the Hong Kong peoplez. I'll just have to send in the true government soldiers to straighten them out and return civility and peace with a lot of kowtowing [&o]
Landris

Post by Landris »

Thank you so much for your mod, it really is a new experience. I'm creating my own mod based off of Osito's Research Unleashed, and incorporating your mod. I was wondering, is it possible to improve the hyper jump inaccuracy using research? Is that a variable that can change in-game rather than only in your BaconSettings.txt file?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Landris

Thank you so much for your mod, it really is a new experience. I'm creating my own mod based off of Osito's Research Unleashed, and incorporating your mod. I was wondering, is it possible to improve the hyper jump inaccuracy using research? Is that a variable that can change in-game rather than only in your BaconSettings.txt file?

Thank you for your kind words and also congratulations on your own mod. When i added the ability to research improvements to reduce teh gravity well effect on a ship I also looked into reducing hyperjump inaccuracy. I don't recall the exact details now but there were some issues and I decided not to make such a setting. If I ever get back to DWU (and I'm sure I will some day) I'll revisit the issue.
Landris

Post by Landris »

Thanks for the reply. It's a minor thing, especially as sublight engines getting faster with tech is an indirect improvement to that issue, it just would be nice!

If I'm making a wishlist, the only other thing I would like is an ability to control population by planet and by race. Not sure if there's anything that can be done here, I suspect not. Currently it's your race family and others, and your own race can go anywhere regardless of policy. I thought about trying to use plagues as a workaround but they can spread beyond the planet you're trying to deal with.
zumzoom

Post by zumzoom »

Thanks so much for this great mod!
Been playing it for a while now, tried 2000 star galaxy size in my previous game - around year 2150 it started crashing so I had to abandon it. Now I started another game of the same size, it crashed couple of times until 2130, no biggy. But now I got a horrible freeze while zooming in from galaxy view(that also froze spotify playing in background), ctrl+alt+delete worked, though with much delay, and the task manager showed 90-100% CPU load. I guess there was no point in waiting so I closed the app.
A question - is this something known to happen with the mod, or could it be something unrelated? I'm guessing it's the size of the galaxy that's at fault?[&:]

My setup: Win 10 pro x64, CPU Amd fx-8300, GTX960-4G, 16Gb RAM.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: zumzoom

Thanks so much for this great mod!
Been playing it for a while now, tried 2000 star galaxy size in my previous game - around year 2150 it started crashing so I had to abandon it. Now I started another game of the same size, it crashed couple of times until 2130, no biggy. But now I got a horrible freeze while zooming in from galaxy view(that also froze spotify playing in background), ctrl+alt+delete worked, though with much delay, and the task manager showed 90-100% CPU load. I guess there was no point in waiting so I closed the app.
A question - is this something known to happen with the mod, or could it be something unrelated? I'm guessing it's the size of the galaxy that's at fault?[&:]

My setup: Win 10 pro x64, CPU Amd fx-8300, GTX960-4G, 16Gb RAM.

Unfortunately FWU is a 32 bit game which means memory will become a problem after awhile. If zooming is causing a delay you can turn off the range circles. The command is !rangecircles.
zumzoom

Post by zumzoom »

Unfortunately FWU is a 32 bit game which means memory will become a problem after awhile. If zooming is causing a delay you can turn off the range circles. The command is !rangecircles.
I know about the range circles, I always turn them off from the start.
Tried reducing the zoom speed in game settings (turned it up a while back), seem to work fine for now.
P.S. Not for long though, had a ctd without an error message just now.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

ORIGINAL: zumzoom

I know about the range circles, I always turn them off from the start.
Tried reducing the zoom speed in game settings (turned it up a while back), seem to work fine for now.
P.S. Not for long though, had a ctd without an error message just now.

I have learned that when the Galaxy become very busy on 2000 stars I tend to pause the game allot when I need to do stuff anf use the minimap to scroll around if the game is unpaused and not use the mouse for that at all.

This seem fix allot of the CTD issues... also reloading the game once in a while also help purging the memory and you will need to do that more often in very big games.

It is after all only 32 bit system and memory is rather limited... this is one reason why I think DW2 will be awesome as it obvious will be a 64bit game only, I would be surprised otherwise.

Return to “Design and Modding”