learnable if new to modern era wargaming?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

michaelincol

learnable if new to modern era wargaming?

Post by michaelincol »

I bought original and was overwhelmed by it and everyone that is so knowledgeable on forums (no dis rather a compliment!) so it sat. I am familiar with other wargaming eras, served in Army 1976-1980, but am ignorant of all modern weapon systems, tactics, etc. above my old M-16. But I know original and this new version will come with great manual, tutorials and community will have utube vids to help soon.

So, if I conquer lazy inertia, do you all think game is learnable coming in wet behind ears? Thanks for any time spent replying as I await release along with you all.
kevinkins

RE: learnable if new to modern era wargaming?

Post by kevinkins »

I was in your situation in 2016. It will take time, but CMO is not any more learnable than the previous version of Command IMO. It is very complex. However, the tutorials are very good so do use them. Most are as fun to play as small community scenarios. I never felt I was going through the motions playing the tutorials. It also helped me by reading news articles about modern weapon systems and tactics. There are many resources. But in fact we are all learning new stuff every day. Hope this helps.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I was also in the same boat when I bought CMANO when if first came out; it takes work, but is very doable. As kevinkins suggest, definitely do the tutorials. I never really got into the larger scenarios--too complicated for me--but enjoyed the smaller scenarios.
guanotwozero

Post by guanotwozero »

Assuming it's like CMANO, accept there's a learning curve and start crawling along it. Best to go through the tutorials and don't try to run before you can walk.

Most likely you'll reach a point where you "get it" and your enthusiasm will take over - after that it's plain sailing.
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

Thanks for taking time today especially to reply. I bought game and dl'd.

Starting on tutorial videos in Help dropdown - I assume updated UI with CMO is close enough with CMANO as vids reference that.

Thanks again.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Michaelincol, I hope you post your impressions in this thread, as I'm in much the same boat as you. I did enjoy the original Harpoon back in the day, but even that didn't hook me for all that long. In general, I bounce off modern-era stuff, as my knowledge of weapons systems ends somewhere around 1970. :)
AntoneT

Post by AntoneT »

There are some great gameplay videos on Youtube for the prior version of Command. Though not tutorials, you can learn a lot of concepts by watching them.
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

Is CMO close enough to CMANO that all the many good videos are still helpful and applicable? I was too lazy to look at them and learn the game when I had CMANO loaded and now have time and more motivation with CMO. Thanks for any help.
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

ORIGINAL: michaelincol

Is CMO close enough to CMANO that all the many good tutorials are still helpful and applicable? I was too lazy to look at them and learn the game when I had CMANO loaded and now have time and more motivation with CMO. Thanks for any help.
Yup!
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

Great. Thx for speedy reply.
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

Sure thing, Grotius. This is just such an impressive game ecosystem for lack of a better word. And as an old vet I so admire modern era combat veterans and what they do. I am hoping with new CMO there will be some fresh AARs and tutorials and videos for guys like us starting out. Meanwhile, I am looking at some of many CMANO ones. Best wishes.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”