Midway

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Curtis Lemay

Midway

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Superb! Like a well-designed TOAW IV scenario!

I can't imagine any wargamer not loving this. The only common thread with that god-awful Pearl Harbor is the excessive CGI. But there are no fictional characters ginning up fictional crap this time. The real participants are the stars here, with Dick Best (who bombed - and possibly sank - two Jap carriers in one day) in the leading role.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

RE: Midway

Post by Curtis Lemay »

And there's a bonus: One of the previews was of 1917. (Sorry - can't make a judgement on just a preview).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Superb! Like a well-designed TOAW IV scenario!

I can't imagine any wargamer not loving this. The only common thread with that god-awful Pearl Harbor is the excessive CGI. But there are no fictional characters ginning up fictional crap this time. The real participants are the stars here, with Dick Best (who bombed - and possibly sank - two Jap carriers in one day) in the leading role.

Wow! Quite a voice of support! Can I ask a favor-would you mind posting in the running thread in the War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition forum too? There's a great deal of suspicion about this movie after the crap that was Pearl Harbor. Your educated opinion would be a breath of fresh air if you're willing to share it.
AndySfromVA

Post by AndySfromVA »

Unlike many I actually liked the 1976 version of Midway.

I don't need to see lengthy CGI battles.

I want to know what it was like for the individuals, both American and Japanese. What were the strategies both sides employed? Why did they succeed (or fail)? What was it like for the ships and planes, both carrier and land based? There's so much fascinating detail you can show about the battle. It doesn't need to be a 3 hour video game.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

So is it worth seeing or wait??
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

My wife and I really enjoyed it. It is not a documentary, so don't expect strategy, etc. But, it's also not a 3 hour video game. I learned some things I didn't know and used it at as excuse to do some research.

And Woody was great :)
ringoblood

Post by ringoblood »

Its well worth the cash to see Titian, They stick to the history and not throw side stories in it, well worth the glory.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

ORIGINAL: AndySfromVA

Unlike many I actually liked the 1976 version of Midway.

I don't need to see lengthy CGI battles.

You're not alone mate, still one of the best WWII movie so far.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

For those who have seen both, is Midway better than Dunkerque?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Honestly, hard to compare. Dunkirk was more "artistic" with the weaving of the 3 stories and more character driven. Midway is more action oriented. I may be in the minority, but I really liked them both.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks. I guess Ill go see it Monday.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Challerain

Honestly, hard to compare. Dunkirk was more "artistic" with the weaving of the 3 stories and more character driven. Midway is more action oriented. I may be in the minority, but I really liked them both.

Thanks
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Return to “General Discussion”