Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

rmmwilg

RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

Post by rmmwilg »

14) Lift FOW at the end of all scenarios (individual & campaign ones) plus allow for removal of the victory window without exiting to the main menu, so that one can look around the whole battlefield and review it.
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

- As already mentioned the ability to Merge units during the reinforcement phase. Thats a must have imo.

- If possible also beeing able to merge understrenght units during a battle.

- Have the option to give remaining artillery/mortar units the Order to Fire at will. At corpslevel it can be time consuming to Order every gun/mortar fire orders.
vayte

Post by vayte »

Gameplay Ideas:
- Visual representation of loaded vehicles. Provides easier/faster unit management because of less dependence on the unit info box. More information about enemy troop carriers with fog war. More pretty...
- Different stats for halftracks when loaded/unloaded. A halftrack with an infantry unit loaded should have more firepower/assault value than a unloaded one.
- Special abilities for unit types. For example, MG-Platoons can activate a special ability to pin-down infantry units. The pinned down units use more AP for movement and or have less defense value.
- Opportunity fire probability based on armor facing. Very high probability of opportunity fire in the direction the unit faces, way less when coming up behind the unit. Brings a bit more tactical depth I think. (Optional rule)
- New units Artillery-Observators. Artillery above a certain caliber (10cm or so) can only be fired at hexes the spotter can see (and at hexes they can see themselves, of course). This should make artillery a bit more realistic. (Optional rule)
- New units Aircraft Spotters. Maybe not necessarily the only units that can call in Aircrafts, but higher chance to arrive on time and hit units visible by the spotter. (Optional rule)
- If these new units are unpractical the abilities could be attached to leader units?

I assume this game will have Map-, Order of battle- and scenario-editors?
Will DCG still be possible (and as easy to make)?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: vayte
Gameplay Ideas:
- Visual representation of loaded vehicles. Provides easier/faster unit management because of less dependence on the unit info box. More information about enemy troop carriers with fog war. More pretty...

This is possible as you can create a separate graphic for that. It was tried with the Germans in one of the updates where the German trucks would not have canvas when not loaded and canvas when loaded.

- Different stats for halftracks when loaded/unloaded. A halftrack with an infantry unit loaded should have more firepower/assault value than a unloaded one.

Interesting idea!
- Special abilities for unit types. For example, MG-Platoons can activate a special ability to pin-down infantry units. The pinned down units use more AP for movement and or have less defense value.

Is that firing at them and disrupting them?
- Opportunity fire probability based on armor facing. Very high probability of opportunity fire in the direction the unit faces, way less when coming up behind the unit. Brings a bit more tactical depth I think. (Optional rule)

Interesting idea, but can be down now by positioning units in ambush positions.

- New units Artillery-Observators. Artillery above a certain caliber (10cm or so) can only be fired at hexes the spotter can see (and at hexes they can see themselves, of course). This should make artillery a bit more realistic. (Optional rule)

Artillery will be getting a work over for East Front III, I believe artillery observers are on the list.

- New units Aircraft Spotters. Maybe not necessarily the only units that can call in Aircrafts, but higher chance to arrive on time and hit units visible by the spotter. (Optional rule)

This also might get an overhaul for East Front III.

- If these new units are unpractical the abilities could be attached to leader units?

Possibly, depends on how the overhauls are taken care of.
I assume this game will have Map-, Order of battle- and scenario-editors?

Yes, of course!

Will DCG still be possible (and as easy to make)?

Overhauling the LCG and DCG systems are on the books for East Front III.
vayte

Post by vayte »

Visual representation of loaded vehicles:
Yes, it already works. I use it in a couple of instances. But the bmp´s are loaded from the root folder, not from the special folder. So it is necessary to replace the files every time the time period changes to fit the camo (early, normal, late, winter) used in the scenario. (Unless I did something wrong).

Different stats for halftracks:
The vanilla halftracks are a bad representation for the firepower of a loaded halftrack. The ***-halftracks are too overpowered when unloaded. A platoon of 6 german 251/1 has 6 light MG´s. A platoon of mot. Schützen has 8 light MG´s, MP´s, Rifles, a Grenade launcher ... jet the ***-halftracks have more firepower.

pin-down: Yes, you are right.

ambush positions: Haven´t heard about that.

Additional ideas for DCG:
- separate Reinforcement points for hard targets or hard targets costing double reinforcement points. Currently, a King Tiger cost as much to replace as a couple of Bicycles.
- Experience Points
- more than 99 scenarios
- Unit upgrades
- more flexible (core)-unit placement. This is probably impossible, but I found myself a couple of times editing a lot of scenarios because I decided the unit composition of the core units needed to be altered... It would be nice to get around this.

XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Visual representation of loaded vehicles:
Yes, it already works. I use it in a couple of instances. But the bmp´s are loaded from the root folder, not from the special folder. So it is necessary to replace the files every time the time period changes to fit the camo (early, normal, late, winter) used in the scenario. (Unless I did something wrong).

No vayte you aren't doing anything wrong. I've experimented with this and have made it work but as you say you need to swap out files whenever the time period changes. It is much easier having a visual representation of loaded vs unloaded vehicles. I hope this is addressed in the next version of this.

Here are some of the units I'm working with now.

Attachments
Halftracks copy.jpg
Halftracks copy.jpg (284.13 KiB) Viewed 961 times
vayte

Post by vayte »

yours look nicer than mine. are you willing to share the bmp´s?
I assume the .bit outline cuts through heads when the unit it selected? Or is there a way to edit them too?
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

yours look nicer than mine. are you willing to share them?
I assume the .bit outline cuts through heads when the unit it selected? Or is there a way to edit them too?

No, no cuts. I redo the .bit files too. I've redone trucks, tracks, and carriers, for Soviet, German, American, and Brit. Swap everything in and out with JSGME. PM me here on the board with your email. I'll try to send you some files later today or tomorrow.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

^^ Those look really neat, Gary! I mean, XLVIII PzKorp! Kudos [&o]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Thanks Petri. [:)] You know me, always have to mess around with something. [:D][:D]

Working on the Brits with the Yanks too.

Attachments
BritandYankee.jpg
BritandYankee.jpg (266.66 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

XLVIIIPzKorp,

That is some sweet work you got there! Nice, very nice indeed!!!![;)][;)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Thanks Big Ivan. Appreciate the comments. In another area I've been putting aerial recognition flags on captured equipment, particularly in N. Afrika. I almost exclusively play CS in 3D, so I'm always mucking about trying to increase the visual appeal.

Attachments
Up01190.jpg
Up01190.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 963 times
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

A better mouse cursor. On some color backgrounds (desert or forest) the + as a mouse cursor for the map area is next to impossible to see. Is there a way to change it in game?
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

missing to see when a russian truck is unloaded not easy to spot
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Soviet trucks were already done by Matto on the Blitz. And my thanks to him for his excellent Soviet Truck mod.

Attachments
Soviettruck.jpg
Soviettruck.jpg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Lysus

Post by Lysus »

I wish, I wish it was out! Historical OOB'S [&o]

Attachments
EF.gif
EF.gif (97.3 KiB) Viewed 964 times
The_Good_Captain

Post by The_Good_Captain »

1) A sound after a successful starshell fires of that sizzling noise they actually make instead of that "pffft" noise. I know there are star clusters and other forms of illumination so not a biggy, just sayin'.
2) A campaign tree for LCGs...it would be nice to see where you can and cannot go in the campaign based on your victory level. The old Panzer General games released this in their strategy guide.

3) Pretty much everything that has been posted so far. Really cool ideas all around!
Lysus

Post by Lysus »

Actually, now that I think about it, are divisional insignias out of the question? Lead elements of 3. Panzer-Division '39

Attachments
3.PanzerDivision.gif
3.PanzerDivision.gif (104.27 KiB) Viewed 961 times

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”