Kaga Found

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Skyros

Kaga Found

Post by Skyros »

warspite1

RE: Kaga Found

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

It's a shame the USN couldn't sink her and she had to be scuttled - thus handing the moral victory at Midway to the IJN.

Sits back, relaxes, breaks open a nice cool bottle of lager and waits....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
spence

Post by spence »

thus handing the moral victory at Midway to the IJN.

Hell of a victory for sure.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

In someone's alternate universe perhaps.......

Didn't have to wait long for the reactions to your offensive troll did you?
Hans

John B.

Post by John B. »

If only the IJN had scuttled itself off of pearl harbor on the afternoon of December 7, 1941 the Empire of Japan could have claimed a moral victory for the entire war. :)

Interesting video of the Kaga. I would assume they kept the location secret except for the government of Japan. I read that's what they did when they found the Bismark (except, of course, that they notified Germany).
John Barr
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

When you recognize someone is trolling for fun (per the fine print in W1's post), all that is necessary is to laugh at the ridiculousness of the assertion! [:D]
Offense and indignation are for when someone really means/believes in something immoral or untrue. W1 could easily have put "j/k" at the end of his tiny text but it is implied so I chuckle at his little dig at the USN.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

KAGA WAS NOT SCUTTLED!!!

Rafe planted a bomb with a 6 month delay fuse.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

When you recognize someone is trolling for fun (per the fine print in W1's post), all that is necessary is to laugh at the ridiculousness of the assertion! [:D]
Offense and indignation are for when someone really means/believes in something immoral or untrue. W1 could easily have put "j/k" at the end of his tiny text but it is implied so I chuckle at his little dig at the USN.

Thank you very much for the lecture.

You are free to react to trolling in whatever manner you choose and I would never presume to lecture you on how I believe you should respond.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes Hans, you can choose to react however you want. I just feel that the indignant reaction is what the trolls want to see so I deny it to them.
Different strokes for different folks. My high opinion of you as a player and as a man is not diminished by your response. If anything I appreciate your openness about how you feel about things that bug you.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Wow that was unexpected!

Offensive trolling? After 11 years on the forums I have a pretty good understanding of fellow long-standing, frequent posting, forumites and their views and thought others in the community would have the same awareness. To react in that way (despite the footnote) to someone who has never denigrated the USN – in fact quite the opposite - is pretty sad. I guess some people just get off on feeling offended and aren’t happy unless playing the victim.

So thanks to those with a sense of humour who appear to have understood there was nothing malicious intended - although one small correction BBanboy, this was no dig at the USN - this was of course a tongue-in-cheek reference to the long running Bismarck – scuttled or sunk routine – and a poke in the ribs at those individuals that believe that Bismarck was scuttled (which she may well have been) but that, if so, that in some way takes away the Royal Navy’s victory – and then appear unable to join the dots when it comes to Midway.

Zorch, stupidly I never considered the Rafe/time delay fuse theory…. was Rafe responsible for Bismarck too perhaps? The Strategic Command game rightly recognise it was him that led the raid on Tokyo in April 1942 (not that Doolittle bloke) - I wonder if they need to amend Midway and the Sink the Bismarck episodes too....

Attachments
Ben.jpg
Ben.jpg (192.22 KiB) Viewed 545 times

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

warspite1

It's a shame the USN couldn't sink her and she had to be scuttled - thus handing the moral victory at Midway to the IJN.

Troublemaker. [:D]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Zorch, stupidly I never considered the Rafe/time delay fuse theory…. was Rafe responsible for Bismarck too perhaps? The Strategic Command game rightly recognise it was him that led the raid on Tokyo in April 1942 (not that Doolittle bloke) - I wonder if they need to amend Midway and the Sink the Bismarck episodes too....

Rafe sank all 4 Jap carriers at Midway. Somehow the bombs he set on Shokaku and Zuikaku failed to go off - maybe because of the damage at Coral Sea.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Wow that was unexpected!

Offensive trolling? After 11 years on the forums I have a pretty good understanding of fellow long-standing, frequent posting, forumites and their views and thought others in the community would have the same awareness. To react in that way (despite the footnote) to someone who has never denigrated the USN – in fact quite the opposite - is pretty sad. I guess some people just get off on feeling offended and aren’t happy unless playing the victim.

So thanks to those with a sense of humour who appear to have understood there was nothing malicious intended - although one small correction BBanboy, this was no dig at the USN - this was of course a tongue-in-cheek reference to the long running Bismarck – scuttled or sunk routine – and a poke in the ribs at those individuals that believe that Bismarck was scuttled (which she may well have been) but that, if so, that in some way takes away the Royal Navy’s victory – and then appear unable to join the dots when it comes to Midway.
You in particular should take more care when attempting to refloat an old idea as It might not always go as smoothly as intended (cough...Prussia Cove...cough).
This was the only sig line I could think of.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

Wow that was unexpected!

You in particular should take more care when attempting to refloat an old idea as It might not always go as smoothly as intended (cough...Prussia Cove...cough).
warspite1

Haha, there is a very obvious retort to that, but I shall refrain from posting because but if my original post caused the unwarranted and totally over the top reaction that it did then this - even in jest - would probably give him an attack of the vapours [8|].

So I will simply leave it with the response it deserves [:)]. HMS Warspite, that Grand Old Lady, refused to be refloated because she wasn't going to any old breakers yard. Enemy bombs, mines, torpedoes and shells couldn't destroy her - no scrap yard was going to do the job either - instead she would bow out on her own terms, at sea where she did her duty so magnificently during two world wars [&o][&o].

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

warspite1

Some people just have fun poking the bear!!![8|][:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

warspite1

Some people just have fun poking the bear!!![8|][:D]
warspite1

[:(]

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

To be clear: Bismarck was scuttled but after her upperworks were being shot to pieces by the Royal Navy.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

I always subscribe to the conspiracy theory that HMS Warpsite was sunk by a U-boat in 1941 and they renamed HMS Barham to Warspite to keep up British morale.
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

To be clear: Bismarck was scuttled but after her upperworks were being shot to pieces by the Royal Navy.

Not just the upperworks. The video from the sea floor showed shell holes above the armour belt and at least one penetrating hit (probably 16") on the armour belt. Author Ludovik Kennedy was there and writes that they could see fires through sections of the hull. The Germans hastened the sinking but it was going to sink whether they scuttled or not. The Germans do get credit for building a tough ship.
spence

Post by spence »

There was no way that the Germans could ever salvage the KMS Bismarck 300 nm West of their nearest port (Brest) just as the Japanese could never have salvaged any of their carriers when they were 700 miles or so East of their nearest port (which had no repair facilities in any case). Thus we can attribute all of the Japanese losses (regardless of what they might claim) to Rafe's prescient secreting a bomb with a multiyear fuze onto each of their carriers while an attache in Tokyo many years before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”