Updated Scen 1 and 2

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kull

RE: Updated Scen 1 and 2

Post by Kull »

Andy - This probably just confirms something you already knew, but a computer-v-computer test of Scenario 2 (v.4) had no Soviet Activation through March 5, 1942:

Attachments
Scen2Sov..f3542.jpg
Scen2Sov..f3542.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Andy, can you fix the starting ships in PH on 7 Dec 1941 in scen001? That is the last remaining thing to fix at the scenario's start.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Resources etc - A little more on map LI for both sides to better reflect food production reduced off map supply and 'magic supply to compensate in most cases. (China/Burma/SEA/Russia mostly)

What is the total added LI for the entire map, and could we have this broken down by area.

I ask as I seems that there is a substantial quantity of LI that falls in to Japans hands, and given the general resource surplus Japan runs...

Yeah, moderately concerned what this does to the industrial capability of Japan...
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I couldn't tell you to be honest somewhere between 200 - 300 LI total would be my guess it was mostly 5's and 10's added to various bases someone would need to use one of the 3rd party tools to check it out
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

Reading between the lines here Andy, but- it sounds like you did the industrial tweak to help in certain areas with having enough supply to make the scripts/AI "work correctly" (or perhaps you mentioned this in notes and I am confusing things)
Would this be why you seem to be saying the amount should be OK given the minute amounts tossed around?

Just curious.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

partly that but only partly I also made it a lot harder to move supply around overland in Thailand to Burma and Northern Australia and in China by putting supply throughput caps on a lot more bases so the extra supply is on map compensation in those areas

e.g. all of the dot bases added Northern Australia and Burma will make it a lot harder for both sides to draw supply overland so by adding a little light industry it means units wont starve out quickly so it was compensation rather than add ons
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Now there were some bases where I added a little on map industry that had nothing to do with supply caps e.g. Truk has 10 LI now to reflect a v small amount of food production, Tinian has 2 LI for same reason think Saipan got 2 as well and Guam got 10 I think

So that's on map production of 24 per day from those 3 bases as its on map it can be bombed so its not hidden free supply
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

In scen 1 I didn't go mad In Aus/China and Burma/Thailand it was compensation for making supply harder to move and in the SOPAC and CENTPAC areas it was relatively small numbers
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Now there were some bases where I added a little on map industry that had nothing to do with supply caps e.g. Truk has 10 LI now to reflect a v small amount of food production, Tinian has 2 LI for same reason think Saipan got 2 as well and Guam got 10 I think

So that's on map production of 24 per day from those 3 bases as its on map it can be bombed so its not hidden free supply

One of the things I liked about your 100 series of test scenarios were the islands that had both resources and LI, but not enough resources to keep the LI completely fed. As a result, I was running a bunch of small AKL "tramp freighters" around the South Pacific, delivering resources to places that otherwise are completely ignored in most games. Was it necessary in the grand scheme of things? No, but it just felt a lot more realistic - like these were populated islands that you couldn't ignore.

As for the throughput caps, those worked extraordinarily well in Burma. I have a few Allied units holding out in Katha and Mytkina against the Ironman AI, and it's an absolute nightmare trying to keep those guys properly supplied. You'd be insane to do this against a human player, but now it's darn near impossible against the AI, too. Feels absolutely right.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

The LI is really only designed to not have forgotten garrison units starve to death from lack of supply
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

That's great! I am all for having a bit of relief in the game here and there to reduce some of the micro-management worry. Considering the scale and simulation we are playing I think that is entirely fair and efficient.
Thanks for the details Andy.

@Kull:

Any idea if you will update your Allied Start Spreadsheet to take into account the latest AndyMac unit disposition changes? Not in any rush, just curious. I have started making some of my own cut-and-paste modifications when I am feeling frisky. ;p

"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

@Kull:

Any idea if you will update your Allied Start Spreadsheet to take into account the latest AndyMac unit disposition changes? Not in any rush, just curious. I have started making some of my own cut-and-paste modifications when I am feeling frisky. ;p

I will at some point - and the Japan one as well (and the "updating your AI" thread too). In fact, I'll probably maintain two of each. Even though these new scenarios are replacements for the original set, I suspect some people will continue to use the old ones. I'd even recommend it:

If you think about it, there's real benefit in having new players start their learning process using the original scenarios. From what I've seen, most newbies play for a few weeks or a month, and then - realizing the extent of their mistakes (because "learning cliff") - will start over. Often more than once.

Accordingly, how much better would it be for your individual enjoyment if all these new improvements appear as a complete surprise? The AI for the old scenarios isn't bad, it just doesn't hold up well over time. So in that sense, the old set (in particular 1 and 2) are the perfect training ground for starting players.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Andy Mac,

You are making a serious mistake in presenting these updates, as updates for scenario 1.  These updates should be provided as new scenario numbers.  Plus they should have a warning that they are meant only for Allied human v Japanese computer play.

Alfred
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Alfred

Disagree on both points

Andy
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

EDIT: All this refers to the scenario 2 files
For info these values seem to have been updated to:-

Truk : 20 LI 15R
also got 10 Oil and 10 Refinery

Saipan : 2 LI and 5R

Tinian : 20 LI and 15R

Guam : 10 LI and 8R

Others i noticed (there may be more) :

PagoPago : 5 LI and 3R
Ta'u : 1 LI and 1R
Nukufetau: 1 LI and 2R
Vaitupu : 1 LI and 2R
Nanumea : 1 LI and 2R
Funafuti : 1 LI and 2R
Roi Namur: 5 LI and 5R
Ponape : 1 LI and 2R
Peleliu : 5 LI and 3R
Babeldaob: 3 Li and 2R
Pagan : 2 LI and 5R

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

If that’s in scen 1 it’s wrong that’s the Scen 10 values I will correct tonight
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

If that’s in scen 1 it’s wrong that’s the Scen 10 values I will correct tonight

Sorry, i should have said its from your SCN02_v5
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

v5 of Scen 1 updated no need to restart changes were minor
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

v6 of Scen 2 also uploaded

I am not planning on making any more changes to Scen 1 or 2 - the AI being totally honest is not going to get much better than I have above and doing variants will only complicate it.

The only potential future change will be if I decide to add more bases in the future or someone spots a howler I have made

I no longer have the ability to stamp the scens official nor would I without the QA of Elf/JWE/Don/Joe/Andrew so although I disagree with Alfred's statement above I do acknowledge and ask everyone to note these are not stamped scenarios they are minor updates to scen 1 and 2 (apart from the additional bases and re write of the AI) so use them at your own discretion.

They have had broadly the same level of scrutiny I gave to the last official update !!!!

To be clear unless you are looking to play out a simulation in the Pacific or a PBEM I do NOT recommend the historic scenario 1 v the AI unless it is your first ever game it is simply too easy to walk over in late 42/early 43

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thanks for updating scen001 to v5.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”