New patch in the works

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

Rodwonder

RE: New patch in the works

Post by Rodwonder »

This could be a definite buy for me now...
Rod T DeMore
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

When though, Matrix?
We are through mid-March and I can't wait!!
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

+1, lurking all days [:D]
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I'll be testing he installer over the next few days. Shouldn't be too long now.
simovitch

SamSlitherine

Post by SamSlitherine »

Hi Guys,

I think some of you might be pleased to hear i'm currently pushing out our next Beta version!!

I will post the info and links shortly!!!
gargamel9

Post by gargamel9 »

[&o]excellent
If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting.
- Curtis LeMay -
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: boogabooga

I'm glad to hear that a new patch is in the works. Here are a few of my suggestions:

-More target filtering on the planning map. Especially a filter by industry type is really needed, IMHO.
A few months back I was wondering how to fix this and then I discovered that you can filter out target types (List Targets) while building a mission in the planning phase AND then select the target for your mission from the filtered list. I don't know how I missed this before, or I knew about it and forgot.

Anyway, I would like to replace the "SFX" and "Music" side buttons with more industry filters for the next go-around since you can always set those under options if you want.
simovitch

drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

Posted in the spirit of....um, you said that v1.04 Beta is about to be out of Beta???? Consider this...

1. Unfortunately, I keep having a few "issues" with errors during the Mission Planning phase in my '44 Long Campaign game. Entire missions occasionally don't show up (I get blank lines) in the Mission Review function screen when I check them after resorting in Descending Mission Number Order in order to check/help with TOT timing adjustments. I have to re-enter some missions/raids to get them to "stick" - backing out to the Main Planning screen to do so.

2. I still get the occasional German aircraft type as being "available for assignment to a raid" while planning Allied Fighter Sweeps on a selected German airfield. This after simovitch's earlier response that I shouldn't plan, save the game, exit the game, then edit a mission I've already saved... I don't do that anymore, but I do still plan, save, exit, then restart and plan more missions.... Hopefully that sequence is "allowable" - if not, then this is a real shortcoming as not being able to do that would seriously hamper my gameplay/confidence in the game such as it is.

3. Messages flash by so quickly while after pressing the Start button that I sometimes have no clue if a mission was cancelled or just delayed - Message Detail Level set at 2 (I think ya'll hardcoded the speed to be 1 for v1.04...right?)

4. Over the last week, I've had hundreds of aircraft available on a single line/at a single base when assigning aircraft to a mission/raid. I've generally ignored them and don't have screenshots (sorry - it's a pain to screenshot, save the game, click 4-5 times to exit the game, Photoshop it to a reasonable size, post it here/forums and then load and return to where I was in the game as I don't play in windowed mode - the game window is still too small for me to read even with a 32" monitor). I specifically remember one case when 32,767 B-17s were available (that number seems "strangely familiar" from my 8-bit assembly language programming days).

5. When reviewing the results of a day's missions in Action Reports, I'll get occasional blank/no data lines... not a mission that was cancelled (with a Mission Number but no data after it.. just a blank line between numbered missions). These blank lines are not able to be "sorted out/to the end of any sorted list". That is, they show up n the middle of sorted lists regardless of what column I sort on.

I realize not providing screenshots or save games where this has happened may not help much. But, the above are "occasional" errors that I simply ignore/work through and, as I said, documenting this stuff while playing in full-screen/non-windowed mode is a pain.

I'm still enjoying the game despite these errors.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I would pay for an 'Admiral's Edition' of this game. Anyone else so inclined?
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Me too.
joey

Post by joey »

Actually so would I.
-pag-

Post by -pag- »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I would pay for an 'Admiral's Edition' of this game. Anyone else so inclined?

+1.
My thanks to all who continually work to improve the game.
I vote for an option to slow messaging down even more-but I know, I'm in the minority on this.
drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

ORIGINAL: -pag-
I vote for an option to slow messaging down even more-but I know, I'm in the minority on this.
Then we both are in the minority...
V72

Post by V72 »

A small minority... growing !!!
Bêta testeur for : Bombing The Reich.
Piteas

Post by Piteas »

+1 Admiral´s Edition

+1 to slow messaging

Growing and growing...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

What is an Admirals Edition?

+1 USAAF-only Long Campaigns (say no to night bombing! ;) )

"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
pkpowers

Post by pkpowers »

+1 for Admirals edition ; been playing this since it started , also played USAAF by SSI on an Atari 800 years ago
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

A quick update on the 1.04.01 patch:
1. Alberto must be really busy with work and/or RL because he is currently incommunicado, so I'm not sure of a delivery date yet.
2. I added some code to tone down the morale checks/rally for all groups. It seems that everyone reaches "99" way too easy and without merit but to balance that I added a possible morale bonus for resting relative to 'days since last' mission. Also fixed a bug where some groups were starting with very low morale due to how the data file was read.
3. started looking into the fidelity of the whole resupply network for ground troops.
4. The weather forecasting will require some major re-work and will not be in this patch. No modifications to lessen bad weather effects either (another discussion for another time).
simovitch

Johntxic

Post by Johntxic »

Anything to report?
The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Alberto's back on it, but it is going slower than I hoped.

EDIT: I got the new build this morning and I'm running the auto testers and checking a few things out.

We fixed a bug where the oil/avgas economy was not only counting storage at existing locations but also captured and/or future locations so I'm monitoring how that effected the modified shortage routines. Troops were also running supply through non-existent locations. Disrupted FB groups will think twice about strafing on the way back to base, and group morale is tougher to recover now without resting so I'm watching that as well for both sides.

Failure to launch bug might be fixed, at least now you can mouse over flights and see the composition of Flight-no.s >999. I always wondered why I couldn't get that information on some units, especially night raiders (turns out those were the units that exceeded 999). This helps the defender pick more straggler targets to intercept. Its actually a pretty cool improvement if I must say. a couple other "under the hood" bug fixes as well.

I don't plan to add any more features so hopefully we can get this to Matrix in the next few weeks.
simovitch

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”