SC3 League Division tourney registration

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.
Ktonos

SC3 League Division tourney registration

Post by Ktonos »

Updated so schedule & results are in the first post

Key
First side: Axis, Second side: Allies, in italics: active games, in Bold: winning side

1st Division

1. Rannug61 1-0
2. Fafnir 0-0
3. Elveranomaslargo 0-0
4. Ktonos 0-1

1st match
Fafnir-Elveranomaslargo
Ktonos-Rannug61

2nd match
Elveranomaslargo-Ktonos
Rannug61-Fafnir

3rd match
Ktonos-Fafnir
Elveranomaslargo-Rannug61

4th match
Rannug61-Ktonos
Elveranomaslargo-Fafnir

5th match
Ktonos-Elveranomaslargo
Fafnir-Rannug61

6th match
Fafnir-Ktonos
Elveranomaslargo-Rannug61

2nd Division

1. Gilber 0-0
2. El Condoro 0-0
3. Nnason 0-0
4. Taifun 0-0

1st match
El Condoro-Gilber
Nnason-Taifun

2nd match
Taifun-El Condoro
Gilber-Nnason

3rd match
Taifun-Gilber
Nnason-El Condoro

4th match
Gilber-El Condoro
Taifun-Nnason

5th match
El Condoro-Taifun
Nnason-Gilber

6th match
Gilber-Taifun
El Condoro-Nnason

-------------------------Original post-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an attempt to organize a new tourney.

The rest of the month will be dedicated to registrations, and, hopefully, if there is enough interest and at least 8 players, the schedule will be posted on 1st October and thereafter the games will commence.

Disclaimer a: This is NOT to substitute the ELO rankings, rather it will run alongside with it (check the rules, next post)

Disclaimer b: As good as the ELO standings are (and many thanks to Noah for the excellent organization), they lack two things: A crowned victor and competitive games.
As I see it and probably most here also do, the game is at it's best when both opponents are close in skill. Also, while Fafnir smashed the ELO ranking, we lack a finite result (as the ELO has no predetermined finale) which will give some grant closure to a tourney

So the general gist of this idea is to have a tourney that will consist of competitive games and provide us with a victor (or several victors, see below)

Ktonos

RE: SC3 League Division tourney registration

Post by Ktonos »

REGISTRATION

1. Registration will be open until the 6th of October
2. To register, just post here with your intention to play

FORMAT

1. The pool of players will be divided in groups of 4. The division will be based on the ELO rankings as of 6th October. That is: the 4 leading players among those who registered will form Division 1, the following 4 will form Division 2 etc

2. Players that have no ELO ranking will be included in the last formed group

3. Each group will proceed to complete a round robin: each player will play twice each of his 3 opponents. Once as Axis and once as Allies. That makes for 6 games. The intention is that the tourney will come to a conclusion by next June, this means that contestants should be prepared to play 6 games within 9 months.

4. After the conclusion of the tourney, the victor of each division will get promotion to the next league while the last player will get relegated to the immediately lower league.
*So if we ever repeat this, there will already be set groups - new players would start in the lowest league regardless of their ratings.
*Maybe we can workout with Noah to grant ELO bonuses to people who win their league.

5. Games for this tourney automatically count for the ELO rankings

League tie breakers
In case there is a tie in a league there are the following tie breakers:
1. Who won his game(s) between the tied players in the earliest date
2. If that is also tied, then the lower ELO ranked player is given the tie

Registered players

Ktonos, El Condoro, Taifun, Rannug1, Fafnir, Gilber, Elveranomaslargo, Nnason

Divisions
(subject to change)

1st Division
1. Fafnir
2. Ktonos
3. Rannug61
4. Elveranomaslargo

2nd Division
1. Gilber
2. El Condoro
3. Nnason
4. Taifun
El Condoro

Post by El Condoro »

Sounds great. Count me in, please.
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
Taifun

Post by Taifun »

Hi gentlemen,

I would like to play in your tournament. I have played 7-8 games before. It is been more than a year since I did not play but I am back in force! I can play a turn per day...
La clé est l'état d'esprit
Rannug61

Post by Rannug61 »

I'm in and ready to rumble...
"En svensk tiger"
Fafnir

Post by Fafnir »

I'm in too.
Gilber

Post by Gilber »

Ktonos,
excellent initiative!
Count me in, please.
Gilles
elveranomaslargo

Post by elveranomaslargo »

I (josan_slith is my slitherine ID, elveranomaslargo the Matrix one) will be happy to join the tournament.

Thanks Ktonos for your great idea.

[&o]
nnason

Post by nnason »

Ktonos,
Thanks for setting this up.
Thanks for the kudos.
I would like to play.

I think you should consider giving people an additional week to sign up. I am going on a two-week vacation with no cell service most of the time. Had I been on my vacation I might have missed your post.

I like your idea of counting wins in this tournament in the ELO standings more than just a win. I'll think about how to do it and get back with a recommendation since any such change would affect all the ELO players not just the players in this league.

PS. Come on guys and gals, if there are any, sign-up Ktonos is doing all the hard work all we have to do is play.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Yes Noah, maybe you are right. Unless there is some objection we will extend the registration deadline to Sunday, 6th September. Thanks for considering the ELO bonus for league winners.

Johan I will list you with the name you appear in the ELO lists, unless you prefer otherwise.

Since we now have 8+ people, the lists in the first post are updated with Divisions. Of Course they are subject to change if more people join up.
El Condoro

Post by El Condoro »

Not to be a wise guy but I assume you mean 6th October.

I am looking forward to this. Assuming the pool remains the same, I have only played one of the guys in it so I am looking forward to playing the others. Thanks for initiating this, Ktonos.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Probably September is my favorite month and I keep seeing him everywhere. Many thanks for the correction El Condoro
nnason

Post by nnason »

Ktonos,

I updated ELO as of today.
Due to limited/no internet connectivity until mid-October, I will not be updating again before you do the parsing out of the games.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

I PMed some of the most active members that had yet to register, getting either negative or no response, so it seems this will be the final structure.

Regarding the schedule, if there is no objection posted until Sunday, I will make a draw of opponents for each matchday. Alternatively, each division will have it's fixtures arranged by a player from the other division - eventhough there is no room for foul play here as everyone will eventually play with everyone.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Divisions are set. I hope we don't have a late withdrawal cause this would mean this is canceled

Divisions are:

1st Division
1. Fafnir
2. Ktonos
3. Rannug61
4. Elveranomaslargo

2nd Division
1. Gilber
2. El Condoro
3. Nnason
4. Taifun

I thought that there is an easy way to make the pairings of the first matchday, without having to rely with some obscure draw.

The highest ELO player of each League will pick his opponent. Then his opponent picks the side.

[Edit: This would determine the 1st matchday pairings and from there on it is easy to make up the rest. 2nd matchday is between the Axis and Allied player of the 1st matchday, only that they switch sides. 3rd is the remaining pairings, and so on]

If any players have time, and agree via PM can play additional games at the same time, as long as they are posted that the games began. Baring that we need each player have at least 1 active game.

So we await Fafnir and Gilber each to choose an opponent from their respective groups
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

I'd prefer a roster of games so that I know which ones have been played and recorded. That said, I am happy to play up to 3 games concurrently.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Yeah, the order of games will be specific, posted and updated as the results come in. Players will declare which are active.

While anyone is free to play any listed match, the order is there to avoid any confusion.
Gilber

Post by Gilber »

Hi gentlemen,

thanks again to Ktonos for organizing this tournament for us.

for my opponent everything is fine for me, I propose that the first one who is interested say it on the thread, creates a challenge, and sends me a PM.
Gilles
Taifun

Post by Taifun »

Hi all,
I am ready. I guess I will play Mr.Nnason. If I understood I can choose sides as I am the last one. I choose Allies.
As soon as I finish my ELO game with Rannug61 I could start a 2nd game In this tournament.
La clé est l'état d'esprit
Fafnir

Post by Fafnir »

I pick Elveranomaslargo as first opponent.

Return to “Multiplayer (PBEM and head to head)”