Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

gehrig38

RE: Submitted Scenarios

Post by gehrig38 »

Paullus thanks for that!
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Hmm. Game is crashing to desktop during admin phase of t2...
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

I've got a repeatable bug, which from being in the industry for 6 years I know is gold to coders:) Is there anyone still tinkering with this gem of a game? If so I can zip up the saved game file and post it. It's crashing at the exact same spot. After my 1 self rally attempt top of turn 2, that game crashes and goes to the initial launch screen.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Version 6.
Visibility upped to 12 hexes
I have a repeatable bug. My game crashes every time, the same way, after my 1st self rally of turn 2.
It crashes to the launcher. Every single time.
Attachments
MyZip3.zip
(30.47 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: gehrig38

I've got a repeatable bug, which from being in the industry for 6 years I know is gold to coders:) Is there anyone still tinkering with this gem of a game?
Probably not until Peter is back from his illness. Pretty sure it's basically a one man-show as far as the actual coding goes.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Red October 3 v1
Defenders of Stalingrad
(Nice 'smallish' bloody 5.5 turn game)
Defenders of Stalingrad (ASL RO3) v1
The Red October Factory 25 October 1942
The Germans were in tenuous control of the southern half of the Krasny Oktyabr factory complex at sunrise on the 25th.
They were however in a bind. Their forward artillery observers could not get a good line of sight to the docks of the Volga
as Russian supplies kept trickling in. The Russians had been supplying and reinforcing the Martin Halls 1 and 2 and pouring incredible MG fire on all nearby roads and trenches making movement outside, even by small groups of men, incredibly dangerous.
Captain Bucholz's group from the 212 Infanterie-Regiment along with elements of the 179th Pioneer Battalion smashed their way
into the factory early on the 25th. The cavernous halls saw room to room combat, in the dark, and there was no let-up.
The Soviets re-established their occupation of the north end by late morning and after a brief respite the German invaders
made one last push to take the factory.

Game Turns 5.5
VC=The Russians must control hex 12,12 at game end. Any other result is a major german Victory

(Design Notes) I've cleaned up my RO map as there was not as much destruction at this point of the RO factory and surrounding
halls. Both sides are setup to be played by the computer so have fun. If you have ANY comments, good or bad, I have thick skin
(as playing in Philly for 10 years helps) and welcome any input. Curious to know if I should add a few half squads given the
array of SW

Germans MMC+SW
Russians MMC+SW
Attachments
MyZip5.zip
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Men of Steel v8
Men of Steel (ASL Scenario RO 5)
The Red October Factory, Stalingrad 11 November 1942
Operation Hubertus would be the battered 6th Armies final attempt to capture the smoldering ruins known as the Stalingrad Factory District.
Every building and every pile of rubble seemed to be fortified death traps.
Three infantry divisions (79th, 100th and the 305th) battered, but still able, and very much willing, would be supported by assault
guns of the 14th and 24th Panzer divisions, including their experimental urban howitzer known as the StuIG 33B mounting their 150mm
field gun.
The goal was ambitious, if not insane considering the beatings these units had taken over the past 3 months.
Inside the Krasny October plant, the soldiers of Guriev's 39th Guards Rifle Division were still in control, if barely, of the massive
Hall #4. One month ago the 14 Martin Ovens in this building were producing molten steel for soviet T-34's that were being built and driven into battle at times on the same day.
They knew what was coming and they braced for another offensive, adding to the many before that were shaping these soldiers into
true men of steel.

Germans attacking Russians (21 turns Germans move first)
Visibility is set to 12 hexes
(Meant to be played right now as the Germans)
Victory Objective: The German player must end the game with control of 50+ more stone building/rubble locations than the Russian player
gains, or gain 50 of those locations if the Russian player gains 0.
All noted VC are worth 1 pt (EXCEPT: The 3 hex stone building at the top of the map is worth 3 VP per hex as is the 3 hex stone building
to the players right astride the gully)

(There is an extra map butted up against the board edge to allow for off map entry.)

Germans MMC/FT/DC/ATG/AA/INF Ordnance/OBA x 1/Armor + reinforcing Infantry and Armor
Russians MMC/FT/DC/ATG/INF Ordnance/OBA x 2/Armor + reinforcing infantry and Armor
Attachments
MyZip6.zip
(30.39 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
ArtReg250

Post by ArtReg250 »

Red October 3 v1

Hi gehrig38!

Nice scenario, maybe too easy for the germans, by turn 4 it was clear that soviets had no chance as I spread havoc amongst them with all my arsenal.

Thank you, I´ll try also Men of steel.

Regards.
"Duro es el enemigo y duro es también el invierno ruso. Pero... ¡no importa! Más dura es aún mi raza (...)"

General de División Agustín Muñoz Grandes
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

gehrig38, I was astonished when I looked at Red October with a custom board and all those units! I regret to
say that I have not played it yet, and admittingly, I'm not ready for it. There's a lot going on and I need to feel
my way before going into battle. Thanks man. [:)]
gehrig38

Defenders of Stalingrad v2

Post by gehrig38 »

Defenders of Stalingrad (ASL RO3) v2
The Red October Factory 25 October 1942
The Germans were in tenous control of the southern half of the Krasny Oktyabr factory complex at sunrise on the 25th.
They were however in a bind. Their forward artillery observers could not get good line of sight to the docks of the Volga
as Russians supplies kept trickling in. The Russians had been supplying and reinforcing the Martin Halls 1 and 2 and pouring
incredible MG fire on all nearby roads and trenches making movement outside, even by small groups of men, incredibly dangerous.
Captain Bucholz's group from the 212 Infanterie-Regiment along with elements of the 179th Pioneer Battalion smashed their way
into the factory early on the 25th. The cavernous halls saw room to room combat, in the dark, and there was no let-up.
The Soviets re-established their occupation of the north end by late morning and after a brief respite the German invaders
made one last push to take the factory.

Game Turns 5.5
VC=The Russians must control hex 12,12 at game end. Any other result is a major german Victory

(Design Notes) I've cleaned up my RO map as there was not as much destruction at this point of the RO factory and surrounding
halls. Both sides are setup to be played by the computer so have fun. If you have ANY comments, good or bad, I have thick skin
(as playing in Philly for 10 years helps) and welcome any input. Curious to know if I should add a few half squads given the
array of SW

Germans MMC+SW
Russians MMC+SW

Tweaked the initial setup areas for both sides (limiting the Germans a tad and expanding the Russians)
Added to the Russian OOB
Attachments
MyZip7.zip
(22.27 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
gehrig38

Guderian's March v2

Post by gehrig38 »

Hey guys. Went into this scenario, after playing it to contact, and re-did the defensive setup for the Russians. If you've played it I'd argue it's absolutely playable again as my defensive setup (As an ASL player :) is vastly different than the initial setup
Attachments
MyZip8.zip
(35.94 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
UP844

RE: Guderian's March v2

Post by UP844 »

I tried the scenario, but unfortunately, starting on Turn 4 the game suddenly slowed to a crawl, taking about 35-40 seconds to move one hex.

I do not know if the following features were also present in the original scenario:
- There are two German exit hexes (29,24 and 29,8), but the German gets no VP for exiting units. This might also have consequences on the behavior of Russian units (e.g. I heard lots of Russian tanks moving and a lot of messages "XXX has Started in XX,XX", but I only saw a single T-26 which emerged within 3 hexes of a bunch of PzIIIs and was promptly destroyed).
- The Russians have two radios, but no OBA fell on my units in the 4 1/2 turns I played.

EDIT: the exit hexes are present in the original scenario, I (still) don't know about the OBA.
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

the Russian defense is centered on holding the VP locations, you'll run into their OBA eventually.Their MMC's are now more in a 'defense in depth' strategy.
The exit stuff has been fixed.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

Here is v3, I'm going to start it now as well.
Attachments
MyZip8.zip
(34.9 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Just stopped playing a v2.5 (John's original scenario with the exit hexes removed) and I met several T-26s that I never saw in v2 (I assume this time they did not run to the exit hexes) as well as a lot more Russian infantry. I stopped when the movement/fire resolution delay exceeded 20 seconds.

Just downloaded v3, I will test it tomorrow in the morning (European time [;)]).

Siegfried Sassoon

UP844

Post by UP844 »

I am sorry, but I think my PC cannot handle such a large battle: on turn 3, the delay between an order to move and the next was already 8 seconds, and it increased to 20+ seconds on turn 4. This means a Movement Segment takes 45+ minutes, and while the AI is moving I can read another chapter Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942: Schwerpunkt (a very interesting reading, by the way).

The behaviour of the Russian tanks remains a mystery: apart from a few T-26s, I saw none of them (I don't miss that KV-2 lurking somewhere [;)]). I am going to make a further test disabling the Fog of War feature to see what those Russian tanks are doing (Katukov would send them to a penal unit).

For the first time, Russian OBA made its appearance on turn 3, even though it missed my units.

The Russian 120mm mortar fired so many smoke shells on the leading PzIII of a pair to obstruct LOS for the one behind it! [X(].

Siegfried Sassoon

rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

The lag problem isn't scenario related, but a game-engine issue that's been addressed at length in other threads. It's something that's going to have to, eventually be dealt with before large maps like this and the original, Kursk CG's can be played without this utter frustration! The only workaround that's been put forward so far is to limit LOS to a maximum of 12 hexes which of course destroys one of the greatest advantages of more accurate, higher-powered weapons, particularly for the Germans.
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

I hear ya. It's actually a game engine problem and not a scenario problem. I truly hope the game gets started up from a coding perspective again. It's a FANTASTIC product and with some additional things could be as good a game as has ever been made for this level of combat
gehrig38

Post by gehrig38 »

The T-26's are all set up to defend the objectives. Also, did you know if you let the AI setup guns it can and will set them up with bad CA and NOT change them?
rmmwilg

Post by rmmwilg »

ORIGINAL: gehrig38

I hear ya. It's actually a game engine problem and not a scenario problem. I truly hope the game gets started up from a coding perspective again. It's a FANTASTIC product and with some additional things could be as good a game as has ever been made for this level of combat

Amen to that !!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”