EvK (Axis) vs. mssm45 (Soviets)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
EwaldvonKleist

EvK (Axis) vs. mssm45 (Soviets)

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

AAR of my recently started game of DC:B as Axis against mssm45 (also known as Belgavox) as Soviets. For time reasons I will simply show screenshots without much commentary to bring some life int he AAR section here.
It is my first game against a human opponent and the second game of DC:B or any other title of the DC series at all (first one was a 20 turn try vs. AI as Axis), so I am still very green with this game. But the mighty Erzac will be my personal adviser and question&answer machine to level the experience difference. And maybe some WitE experience will be helpful as well.
EwaldvonKleist

RE: EvK (Axis) vs. mssm45 (Soviets)

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T2
Soviets spawn in the forest hexagons in the North so progress of AGN is a bit disappointing. Very satisfied with AGC and AGS.
I had prepared a scripted T1 but then realized there is an RNG component in initial Soviet deployment. Bad habits coming from WitE where you can plan most things in advance https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=911
Geneva convention is off, no what ifs taken. Decision RNG was not kind to me so far with Hitler refusing extra fuel despite taking the PP expansive decision.

Attachments
T2.jpg
T2.jpg (932.63 KiB) Viewed 944 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T3
All army groups do fairly well, a nice pocket in the Northen Centre and many captured Russkies. AGC and AGS already suffer fuel shortages, not due to transport bottlenecks but due to low overall allottemnt. Seems a bit odd for this early in the campaign? Blitzkrieg posture with 2000 fuel units default consumption be damned.

Attachments
T3.jpg
T3.jpg (902.71 KiB) Viewed 944 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T4
Pocket clearing in AGN. If things go as planned I can relocate AGN and AGC FSBs next turn to Dünaburg and Minsk. FSB of AGS relocated to Lvov.

The Finns throw themselves against the Soviet fortifications. I am certainly interested in dead Russians but do not really care about dead Finns.

AGS and AGC Panzers a bit exposed to counterattacks. Axis losses from defensive battles often higher than from attacks.

Rundstedt gives everything and two armies get an AP bonus. Unfortunately, those two armies are the Rumanians.

Attachments
T4.jpg
T4.jpg (942.26 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

+1 Subscribed
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have some old AAR's from the early days of this game. They might be of use to you. I don't think much has changed since I posted them rules wise. They are probably still valid.

I will follow this AAR with interest.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Thank you for your interest.
I read your old AARs Michael, good advance rates you have there. Fortunately mssm45 hasn't killed any of my motorised divisions yet as flavius did but then again I don't have so much land grab to show.

The central problem for me so far was lack of fuel due to the 2k default consumption from Blitzkrieg posture. Why not make fuel use in Blitzkrieg posture more inefficient compared to sustained offensive, like 30% extra fuel use for same action. If vehicles do not move there should not be fuel consumption, period.

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T5
Last major pocket in AGN liquidated. I will leave the Kurland area to rot. Not sure how much the Partisan levels from dissolved will reduce supply later but I need the Infantry and HQs at the front now.
PG 4 very short of fuel, can't do much here.

PG 2&3 short of fuel too, I only kill two inf divs.

PG 1 short of fuel (surprise!), destroy 4 divs and an army HQ here.

PG 1 and PG 3 switch to sustained offensive while FSB is relocating.

Overall slow, if not disappointing turn. The Soviet units retreat in order and I will surely face a wall of steel at Ostrov and the Landbridge.

Attachments
T5.jpg
T5.jpg (918.17 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

You have to switch to Sustained as soon as you can. But you have to get the timing right.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T6
Not much happening in the North and Centre, lack of fuel.

Soviets running in the South so contact is made but little more.

Attachments
T6.jpg
T6.jpg (937.44 KiB) Viewed 943 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T7
Not much happens in the North an Centre, although the Pskov river is crossed by a single div in AGN and a fort hex is taken on the landbridge by AGC.
AGS tries to penetrate the Soviet line. If I get lucky with activations I can maybe pocket something, otherwise Soviets will continue running.

The Finns report nothing in Leningrad and more units brought in for intel don't either. So I attack Leningrad and capture it, destroying the Northern Front HQ in the process. Not sure if that will have an effect.

FSB will be ready for AGN and AGC next turn so hopefully some action again. Save for the Leningrad attack (which will cost me quite a bit in terms of PP), I feel behind the curve compared from my intuition and compared other AARs. Leningrad is the Hitler goal atm so maybe I will maintain a winning chance with the Finnish surprise.

Attachments
T7.jpg
T7.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

I am on a seminar for the next two weeks so the AAR will be paused, but will be continued.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T8
Back from my Seminar (and thus richer in knowledge about rocket technology) and it is time to return to the Eastern Front.
FSBs are close to the front everywhere and I have switched some PGs to SO, so for the first time since T2 I can use all APs of the PGs fuel wise. AGN takes the Ostrov Crossing at last and kills 4 divisions. After several turns of standing still there should be action again for the next 2-3 turns now. Eagerly awaiting the security division in Riga because the Soviet units in the Kurland have surprisingly many action points and slowly crawl East. May they die already.

The Soviets are strong in AGC, I make the frontline wider to create some opportunities. Brauchitsch is on a mission to smooth the way so I hope there will be progress next turn.

AGS sees a major pocket, I spent a bit time thinking about the best angle of attack there.
Odessa is assaulted unsuccessfully with high losses. I hope I can grind fort levels and readiness down more quickly than it recovers. Command focus and artillery are needed elsewhere.

First good turn in a while overall.

Attachments
T8.jpg
T8.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T9
Not much action during the Soviet turn in the AGN and AGC area but the pocket wall of AGS is hit hard. The Soviets send Z-Man there and counterattack. I admit being a bit surprised by the strength of the counterattack, fortunately an attempt to liquidate the pocket with PG1 units fails. Only one Panzer Division surrenders which is a bit odd because their comrades stood their ground. If the Axis wins there will be some executions for Cowardice in front of the enemy.
But the Soviet counterattack is a two-edged sword as they are left exposed to a powerful counterblow which eliminates some of the attackers.A promising gap develops in the front line, the Dneprs crossing should not be too difficult to force next turn.

AGN makes some progress but the Road to Leningrad will turn into Verdun 2.0.
AGC tries a flanking manoeuvre around the Landbridge. I do not expect to pocket forces this way but it is a possibility to capture terrain for no losses. Encircling Soviet units on the landbridge was not possible due to unit density so I chose the way around.

Attachments
T9.jpg
T9.jpg (980.78 KiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T10
No Soviet attacks at all because recent breakthroughs forced backpaddling and the North is the North.

AGN approaches Soviet positions without attacking them. The Sovs are dug-in very well with many units, I do not dare to attack them hastily with my Panzers.
AGC continues the large flanking manoeuvre.
1st PG of AGS crosses the Dnepr in Force. I prepare for a Kiev assault next turn. I hope that unit numbers and concentric bonus will carry the day because readiness is mediocre.

AGNS FSB relocates to Orsha, AGC to Orsha. They both have fuel stocks to support one turn of almost full operations.

Attachments
T10.jpg
T10.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T11
RL demands on my side slow down the game. Not much action in the Soviet phase, one attack out of Odessa against the Rumanian division.

AGN breaks though just East of the Pskov Lake (what was its name?) and takes a wood hexagon with an overstacked attack. Bloody battle but at least some progress towards Leningard. I pull out one Finnish division from the City to reduce the PP penalty, because I had 0PP at the beginning of this turn.
AGC continues the flanking manoeuvre on both sides of the Landbrigde. A pocket seems unlikely but I hope to capture much ground for little fight.
AGS takes Kiev and PG 1 forms a new pocket. I want to kill a HQ there while threatening the South of the Soviet Centre so they do not start invading the Pripyat marshes. The AGC flanks are very long and pin down forces for guard duties.

Soviet manpower almost reaches Axis manpower this turn. Despite the recent successes I remain pessimistic about the chances to capture Moscow or Rostov, not only is the OOB growing but terrain becomes ever more difficult and the Soviet better postured and entrenched with every turn. Leningard is Führer priority Nr. 1 atm. but frankly winning the game by underperforming at every front while having capturing LG through the backdoor would not really feel good.

Attachments
T11.jpg
T11.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T12
Soviets counterattack PG3 in the North, PG2 was too far away for counterattacks as I hoped. But most attacks hit PG1 which is encircled. In addition an infantry division of mine is isolated in Northern AGS because trucks apparently can't travel over swamps. Who could have known this.

AGN: Narva is encircled by a push along the river of the same name. I am pleasently surprised by the success there, it at first was little more than a distraction for the Soviets, but has potential to develop into my first way into Leningrad unless the swamp supply problems resurface. Apart from this two major assaults which are both successful plus a smaller one against the marked hexagon. I screwed up there as I did not include one SS mot division and the battle was really close.

AGC: The race between German wheels and Soviet legs continues. Because the terrain and Soviet unit density make it ever more difficult, I try to squeeze the fleeing Soviets to bag at least a few of them. But even if I get around 1/3rd of them, I expect Moscow to be an impregnable fortress.

AGS: The Soviet counterattack is counterattacked, I hope that I can destroy most Soviet units next turn. I have to be a bit careful about Odessa, I do not want to lose Bukarest. The Soviet crawl there will be slow but I don't have a spare army to chase them. I turn 11th Army South to threaten the Soviet positions on the lower Dnepr.

Last but not least, the Soviet high command has been sent a demand to purge its ranks from perverts, the snippet from the report is not the first of its kind. That is unprofessional and every Aryan sperm is precious to the Führer.*

*not to be taken seriously (obviously).

Attachments
T12.jpg
T12.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 948 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T13
The Soviets consolidate in the North, while driving into the gap between AGN and AGC. I should not become a major threat, but requires forces to deal with this part of the front. If this continues unchecked, AGN and AGC supply lines could be in danger.
More worrying is the Soviet counteroffensive at the shore of the blacks sea.

AGN: PG4 has got many APs and good readiness, allowing considerable progress. As a nice bonus, a SS division has enough AP to attack the Soviet HQs behind the line. The assault on Narva fails.
AGC: The battle of encirclement comes to an end as PG2 and PG4 finally close the pocket. More progress is hindered by the fact that PG3 only had 60ish AP this turn.
AGS: One pocket cleared and another one formed. Immediate liquidation fails unfortunately. FSB will relocate to Krivoi Rog during the next 12 days.
The Soviet counteroffensive is threatening. If the rail to Odessa is reconnected, the Sovs could place a new army in Odessa. This would allow them to have one gorup of units securing odessa, while raiding the AGS rail line with the second one. To prevent this, AGS (especially 11th army) is ordered to swing South to encircle the Reds against the black and azov sea, or at least force a withdrawal.
If successful, the Soviet units in the Odessa perimeter would be out of command range and could be kept in check by a token force. I do not expect to take Odessa.

Attachments
T13.jpg
T13.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 947 times
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Hi all,
university keeps me very busy and so it becomes difficult to find time&motivation for complicated wargames, which explains the time without updates.
I hope I can continue in late December with some turns.
Regards
EvK
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

T14
Game continues! Sorry to all readers for the long break, university and other RL things kept me unable to continue for a while.

The Soviets deploy many reinforcements at Leningrad, dig in in front of Moscow, form a line in the South while counterattacking along the black Sea, reconnecting Odessa and encircling my poor Rumanians. I am shocked by the poor performance of the Rumanian units. The paramount problem is their non-existent readiness recovery.

AGN: Narva taken, successful break-in into the Soviet line north of Narva
AGC: Vyazma pocket liquidated, PG 2 turns South to secure the flanks and destroy Soviet formations. Moscow is too well-defended for a frontal assault.
AGS: Small pocket liquidated East of Kiev and a new, leaky one formed. I shift force South to defend against the Soviet push along the black sea, but low readiness/AP make things difficult.

Attachments
T14.jpg
T14.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 947 times

Return to “After Action Report”