OT: Apollo Command Module

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Trugrit

OT: Apollo Command Module

Post by Trugrit »

At this moment 50 years ago the Apollo 11 command and Lunar module was on the way to the moon.

The Smithsonian has a 3D/360 degree view inside and outside of the command module.
Also a VR mode.

You need a high performance computer and browser to run it. Chrome, Firefox or Safari best.

It takes awhile to fully load as it loads up a piece at a time. I recommend you wait several
Minutes for it to fully load before you try and use it. It looks great in full screen.

The upper left hand corner has the controls and guided tour buttons. Right and left mouse buttons
shift and rotate the view.

https://3d.si.edu/apollo11cm

Attachments
thCopy.jpg
thCopy.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 266 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
btd64

RE: OT: Apollo Command Module

Post by btd64 »

WOW. I remember those days. But it doesn't feel like yesterday.[;)]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Those of us who were alive at the time to witness it will always remember exactly where we were at the time.

My family had returned to our roots in Chester, Pennsylvania to visit my grandmother that summer.
I was 12 years old.
We watched the landing at her house.

I had the distinct honor to witness a Saturn V launch from the VIP viewing stands. MY Boy Scout troop spent our summer camp on the Air Force base next to the NASA launch facilities and the entire troop was given seats in the VIP stands directly across the water from the launch tower after we toured the facilities.

It was the most awesome spectacle I have ever witnessed.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Looks like re-entry did a number on the paint job! Amazing that man could invent systems that withstood everything space and return from space could throw at them. Also amazing that todays phones have thousands of times more computing power than the Apollo 11 astronauts had on board!

True heroes risking their butts to help mankind advance our understanding just a bit more. On Saturday I will be hosting a dinner for my son's birthday but we will certainly raise a toast to the landing of the LEM on the moon, the astronauts and the team that put the project together (which included many Canadians).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

There’s a song by a band called Redgum with a line that says “Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon”.
Whenever I hear or read about the moon landing I also think about that line.
Just found this story, in real life “Frankie” was LT Peter Hines.
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... -the-moon/
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

When I was in JH, there was a guy in one of my classes who swore it was all fake. What could you say?

spence

Post by spence »

Those of us who were alive at the time to witness it will always remember exactly where we were at the time.

I was a cadet on a USCG ship entering Copenhagen as the LEM landed on the moon. We could sorta watch the landing on Danish TV although it was fuzzy and such commentary as may have been was in Danish (obviously)(our American TV couldn't completely decipher the Danish signal because there is some sort of formatting difference in the signals). Even though the Vietnam War was deeply unpopular in Europe we were all heroes to everyone we met on that day (and we were in uniform even).
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

When I was in JH, there was a guy in one of my classes who swore it was all fake. What could you say?

Did he turn into flat-earther ufologist later?
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

No, no, - he had it right! And now the aerospace industry is perpetuating the fantasy by getting every advanced nation to launch probes to planets and asteroids and comets and things, and, and ... they are using CGI animators to make fake video of what these spacecraft and landers are supposedly seeing - and our satellites only go out to 22,000 miles because that is where the invisible glass dome is and anything further would smash into it! It's all a con to get governments to spend oodles of cash on phony aerospace stuff that is designed to look very techy but does nothing! [8|]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

They can't be using CGI...else everything would look like the upcoming smash hits Midway and Dauntless!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

I was 15 years old and watched this with my mom. Never forget it.

I watch this now and I still get a thrill even when I know how it turns out.

Complete Descent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1SzgGhMKc

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

I've always wanted to ask a flat-earther, "What's on the bottom?"
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

" At this moment 50 years ago the Apollo 11 command and Lunar module was on the way to the moon. "

Right.

And after the Apollo missions, we have lost the technology to do manned space flight beyond LEO.
Because, yah know... reasons.
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Oh no it isn't, perhaps?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Timotheus
Right.

And after the Apollo missions, we have lost the technology to do manned space flight beyond LEO.
Because, yah know... reasons.

Van Allen belt ? [;)]
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

And wonders how it was all done with very primitive computers
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Poor Americans always the conspiracy crowd targets them :)

However the first man in the space was a Russian and he also is not without doubt....so for a change conspiracy is now targeted at Russia too :) Good news is it not?

Text from video:
"See how the "First Flight" to Space was HOAXED.
During interview, Helena Gagarina, daughter of the 1st astronaut Yuri Gagarin, confirms that that world-famous flight was just staged:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFK5Fqkfwg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”