noob help for starting 1941

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

king171717

RE: noob help for starting 1941

Post by king171717 »

Noob Question, okay im trying to understand cp is compand points vs Command capacity but im wondering do i want to keep it postive or basically 0? Army Group South seems like it has so much the Rum, Hun, etc attached to it and its high in the negatives.

also another noob questions about SU
What SU are good for what?

like pioneers are good for cities
AA go for against planes
ART good against citys, dug in units??

I mosty hear people just talk about how good pioneers are but not so much the other SU
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Keep command points at the same level or below command capacity.

To get rid of the command capacity problem of AGS would take a lot of admin points to do and is probably not worth it. Instead wait until Army Group South splits and you can get rid of the problem that way for free. Instead use the command overload to your advantage by appointing someone who has a very good morale and nothing else (hint Jodl) - at least on morale there is no penalty from exceeding command capacity just like there is no range penalty on it and so you can spread that one benefit of one leader over many more units.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
king171717

Post by king171717 »

Okay cool!

Good to know!!

Zug

Post by Zug »

How is it done for free? When the AGS split occurs I mean.

When I did it it cost around 200 points to eliminate overloading in the Wehrmacht, and that was just at AG level. Some remained even then at Army level.
Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Zug

How is it done for free? When the AGS split occurs I mean.

When I did it it cost around 200 points to eliminate overloading in the Wehrmacht, and that was just at AG level. Some remained even then at Army level.

When the AGS split occurs all the armies assigned to it get reassigned to OKH and you then have two new army groups called A and B which are empty. In the latest versions of WitE when you assign down an HQ directly assigned to OKH to an army group it costs zero points. OKH can never be over the capacity limit and do not assign armies to A or B if it will take them over the limit. You will then have no command capacity problems at army group level in the south.
Zug

Post by Zug »

I must have done a lot of other stuff then. And I did. Down to individual regiments and brigades being shifted around. What a massive undertaking, but I loved it. In the end I had each AG with two infantry armies and one panzer group, though AGN got shortchanged as I didn't have enough panzer corps to distribute them evenly.

Here's what I wrote about it in the AAR

With the split of Army Group South in to Army Groups A and B, a welcome opportunity to reorganize the overloaded command structure of the Wehrmacht was available to me, Having a fourth Army Group could allow redistribution of the forces throughout my command and alleviate the penalties that come when an organization is over the command capacity. At the start, only Army Group North does not suffer from this, but the other two do, and especially so in AGS.

This is a major undertaking, and the player must embrace the micro to attempt it. I failed to mention it yet, but the very first move I made in this campaign was to replace Halder at OKH with Kluge. Model then took Kluge's vacancy in 4th Army. And as mentioned, many corps commanders have also been replaced.

The creation of Army Groups A and B saw Rundstedt shift to AGA and Halder made a return as commander of AGB. But only very briefly as it turned out. The man cannot catch a break. He was immediately cashiered and replaced with Kesselring, who left Luftlotte 2 for this assignment.

The scope of the changes I made are too broad to recount in detail here, but in general terms I looked to make each army group structure the same. That is, each one would get a Panzer Group and two infantry armies. With the recent arrival of XXXX Panzer Corps, we now had 11 Panzer Corps, so one Army Group would be shortchanged.

In the north on the Leningrad front, no changes were made to Leeb's AGN in terms of commands attached to them. Hoepner's 4th Panzer would remain, as would 16th and 18th Armies. Because of the terrain, and the fact we have been tied down near Leningrad, 4th Panzer would be the one shortchanged, with just two Panzer Corps.

Bock's Army Group Center on the Moscow front saw some shuffling. XXIV Panzer Corps, the one from 2nd Panzer sent to the rescue at Leningrad was reassigned to Hoth's 3rd Panzer, raising it to three Panzer Corps. AGC had three infantry armies, the 2nd, the 4th and the 9th. So the 2nd was reassigned to Army Group B. This left AGC with three Panzer Corps and two infantry armies

Kesselring's newly formed Army Group B was assigned the sector around Voronezh. The recently arrived XXXX Panzer Corps was attached to 2nd Panzer, bringing it to three Panzer Corps. 6th Army was reassigned from Army Group South to AGB. So now AGB had Guderian's 2nd Panzer along with 2nd and 6th Armies.

Rundstedt's newly constituted AGA would be assigned the southern front, the right wing, and given responsibility over the region around Denpro and Rostov. Kleist's 1st Panzer (three Panzer Corps) remained, as well as 11th and 17th Armies.

All satellite armies were reassigned to their national headquarters.

With these moves the rough cuts were complete. No Army Group was overloaded any longer. However some overloading remained at the Army level, especially in 9th Army, but also minor overloading in 16th and 18th as they continued to hammer at Leningrad. This should be worked out in time, but I can only wish I had one additional Army headquarters, which would solve all remaining issues.

In all it was a massive undertaking, down to individual divisions, brigades and regiments being shifted to various corps, corps to various higher headquarters, and additional changes were made to corps commanders as I continue to try and get my most capable men in the best positions. All of these moves costs a lot of admin points, over 200 having been spent on this reorganization. With mud coming I felt I could spare the points with few HQBUs being needed as panzer units would be pulled back to refit.

The strategy gamer/micromanager in me absolutely loved the whole process, and the penalties had been eating at me since June. To have it (mostly) sorted at this point is very satisfying. It should prove of some worth come winter, and in to the '42 campaigning season.

Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.
king171717

Post by king171717 »

im really loving this game!!!

okay noob question as the germans my admin points are stacking up!! what should i be doing with them?? Also with support units, i feel like i havent assign very many outside of pioneers for city attacks.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Admin - re assign Leaders and Units; once this is done I think most players save them for building Forts in the Winter Line
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
king171717

Post by king171717 »

okay cool, i was doing that. I guess u go to do a lot of it :)
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Admin Points are used to assign leaders, change SU from different commands, change combat units to different commands, HQ Build Up (which is very important and costs a lot), changing airframes manually, building fort units etc. I never seem to have enough of them :P

With support units the best thing to do is let them flow up to the OKH. The way to do this is by setting Support level of all commands (Corps, Army, Army Group) to 0 and then set the Support Level of the OKH to 9. Once the SUs are at the OKH you can reassign them for free to the fighting Corps.

Try to not put too many support units though, since max 6 support units from a Corps will take part in a normal battle (unless it is in an urban hex). I usually put 2-3 Arty Battalions, 1 LW Mixed Flak Bn and maybe 1 Pioneer Bn in a Corps. When it is a very important battle I will add Stugs and 1 additional Arty Bn or Nebelwerfer Regiment. Remember that certain SUs (Pioneers, MG, Stug, Panzerjager) can be assigned directly to units but do not overdo it.

And also remember that if you are doing hasty attacks and you moved the HQ the SU won't take part in battle.

Don't try to learn everything in one day however because there is so much one needs to actually master this beast. Just give the game a try. Whenever you have questions read the manual first, here is the latest updated version: tm.asp?m=4529371

If the manual isn't clear enough or you still don't know what to do, feel free to ask the forums, someone will most likely be online and help you.

Welcome to WitE!

Cheers,
Xhoel
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
king171717

Post by king171717 »

Awesome Info! thanks!

So for HQ Build Up i have to be in 20 in range to rail ?? As i have a 19 that can HQ build up but say a 23 that cannot.

Ya i read that about changing those setting so support flows upwards but i cannot find where you change those settings. Sorry

When attaching SU to say panzer does it make the division need more supplies, fuel? So u wouldnt want to have any attached to panzer divisions unless u really need it.

For SU do u place your SU into each of your corps? Not sure If i understand that right.

"And also remember that if you are doing hasty attacks and you moved the HQ the SU won't take part in battle." Ah thanks!!!!

I tried learing this game a couple of years ago but i was a bit overwhelmed. Now i dont feel no where near overwhelmed and I am really enjoying this game.

Thank u!!!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: king171717
Ya i read that about changing those setting so support flows upwards but i cannot find where you change those settings.

Change them individually for each HQ (black box) or for all by the batch function (circled in red).

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (284.24 KiB) Viewed 118 times
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Awesome Info! thanks!

When attaching SU to say panzer does it make the division need more supplies, fuel? So u wouldnt want to have any attached to panzer divisions unless u really need it.

For SU do u place your SU into each of your corps? Not sure If i understand that right.

I tried learing this game a couple of years ago but i was a bit overwhelmed. Now i dont feel no where near overwhelmed and I am really enjoying this game.

Thank u!!!

Yes it means that the division will require more supplies. For Panzer/Motorized division there is an extra cost if you assign them a SU that is not motorized (like Pioneers) since the attached SU will become motorized and require more trucks/fuel.

Yes you assign the SUs to the Corps HQs (for the Germans) and to Army HQs (for the Soviets). See the attached screenshot.

I'm glad I could help, good luck!

Attachments
HQ.jpg
HQ.jpg (293.37 KiB) Viewed 118 times
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
king171717

Post by king171717 »

Awesome, thanks!!

king171717

Post by king171717 »

So i took Moscow on turn 7! pretty happy about it! I love the morale of the 29th mot div.

The AI has placed an insane amount of units around Leningrad and kinda forgot about Moscow.

For 290 point victory I need to take leningard, vorohezh, rostov? or must i go deeper ?

I think after this i wouldnt mind trying a multiplayer game as the germans maybe.
Beria

Post by Beria »

Yes - you will need to get cities on the Volga (e.g. Gorky, Saratov, Kuybshev) and in the Western Caucasus (Krasnodar, Novorossiysk) to get to 291 points.
Gary Grigsby Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
king171717

Post by king171717 »

DO you have to change the setting from 0 once you assign them??

Cuz i think i assign them to corps but some corps seem to be missing them?

Im finding SU to be very helpful

Also for FBD i wanted to chain them to moscow. However it seems i can only do 4 tiles at a time which means u cant use two. not sure if i messed things up.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

DO you have to change the setting from 0 once you assign them??

Cuz i think i assign them to corps but some corps seem to be missing them?

The only way to guarantee your AIs will not be moved between your turns is to change that setting to "lock".If zero and nothing is locked above all SUs (except pioneers and construction) will not stay in a corps HQ but will go up to the next level during logistics.
Also for FBD i wanted to chain them to moscow. However it seems i can only do 4 tiles at a time which means u cant use two.

You can repair up to 7 along a single rail route, but none of them can be more than 4 hexes away from railheads at the start of the turn (6 in the Baltics). If you want to do more than 4 on a line, it will only be possible (usually) if the rail line bends a lot. Sometimes an FBD only has enough MPs to do 3 or 4 hexes of repair - or less during bad weather. In these cases it can be a good idea to double up but not otherwise.
king171717

Post by king171717 »

Oops I thought they were locked.
thats what happen after i reassign them, forgot to relock them!

Thats what I figured!

Thanks again!!
king171717

Post by king171717 »

ORIGINAL: xhoel

Admin Points are used to assign leaders, change SU from different commands, change combat units to different commands, HQ Build Up (which is very important and costs a lot), changing airframes manually, building fort units etc. I never seem to have enough of them :P

With support units the best thing to do is let them flow up to the OKH. The way to do this is by setting Support level of all commands (Corps, Army, Army Group) to 0 and then set the Support Level of the OKH to 9. Once the SUs are at the OKH you can reassign them for free to the fighting Corps.

Try to not put too many support units though, since max 6 support units from a Corps will take part in a normal battle (unless it is in an urban hex). I usually put 2-3 Arty Battalions, 1 LW Mixed Flak Bn and maybe 1 Pioneer Bn in a Corps. When it is a very important battle I will add Stugs and 1 additional Arty Bn or Nebelwerfer Regiment. Remember that certain SUs (Pioneers, MG, Stug, Panzerjager) can be assigned directly to units but do not overdo it.

And also remember that if you are doing hasty attacks and you moved the HQ the SU won't take part in battle.

Don't try to learn everything in one day however because there is so much one needs to actually master this beast. Just give the game a try. Whenever you have questions read the manual first, here is the latest updated version: tm.asp?m=4529371

If the manual isn't clear enough or you still don't know what to do, feel free to ask the forums, someone will most likely be online and help you.

Welcome to WitE!

Cheers,
Xhoel

Sorry to ask so many questions.

What do you put in your panzer corps for support?
I would think u would want to keep them light so they need less support. Only time I could see putting a lot in SU is if u need to breakthru on a tougher defense or doing attacks around heavy defend leningrad for instance.

Also I havent really touch air other then keeping them right behind my railroad conversion. I just use them with attacking forces and ground interdiction. When i transport fuel it tell me am out of range if i shift click the transports i want to send. But if i just click on it, it will work. hope that makes sense.

Does capture cities give supply/fuel to HQ's ever?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”