step-by-step help needed

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

newuser123

step-by-step help needed

Post by newuser123 »

Hi there, I'm a new user and I'm trying to create a new scenario...basic ASuW/ASW where you have a submarine patroling within a defined area and there's an adversarial ship that's transiting through. Is anyone able to provide a step-by-step guide to set this up? your help is very much appreciated!
ARCNA442

RE: step-by-step help needed

Post by ARCNA442 »

From the beginning.

Start Menu -> "Create New Blank Scenario"

Editor -> "Add / Edit Sides"

Use the "Add" button to create two sides and remember to use the "Postures" button to set the computer side to "Hostile" if you want it to fight back

Then click on the side you want, "Unit Actions" -> "Add Unit" set course/speed or missions as normal, then repeat for the next side.

Now things can get much more complicated, with events, special actions, and Lua. But a basic scenario like you describe can be set up in a few minutes.
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

Cheers! :) I managed to get the scenario going but realised that it doesn't report when the submarine detects the ship and vice versa. Is there something additional that I should be setting up? Also, what's the rationale / logic behind when a detection occurs?
ARCNA442

Post by ARCNA442 »

ORIGINAL: newuser123

Cheers! :) I managed to get the scenario going but realised that it doesn't report when the submarine detects the ship and vice versa. Is there something additional that I should be setting up? Also, what's the rationale / logic behind when a detection occurs?

There is no way to see if the AI side detects something. It is generally a good idea when building scenarios to run it several times watching the AI side to make sure everything is working as intended. Note that you can set sides to omniscient or blind, which overrides the normal detection system.

The detection system is rather complex and is based on sensor capabilities - have you downloaded the community pack and played through the intro scenarios yet?
newuser123

Post by newuser123 »

I've just downloaded the communityscenariopack040.

I realised that for some units, there is a section on "Last Detections" on the right side info panel. How do I get this to show up for all units? I also read from the manual that there would be a "Contact Report" tab (also found on the right side info panel) but I don't seem to be able to find it...

Are there specific scenarios that are good for me to better understand the detection system?

I was just wondering if the detection system is just a "cookie cutter" system i.e. once the target enters the detection bubble (defined by min/max detection range) or there's more physics & detection logic involved (and what is the physics/logic used). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=2920#1000

This has lots of information you might find useful.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”