Legendary MicroProse revived, announces first game - Warbirds 2020

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

somdude

Legendary MicroProse revived, announces first game - Warbirds 2020

Post by somdude »

'MicroProse announce agreement for Development and Co-Publishing of the new WarBirds 2020 World War II flight simulation..
CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”
Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.'

http://www.combatsim.com/topics/combat- ... irds-2020/

www.microprose.com
Kuokkanen

RE: Legendary MicroProse revived, announces first game - Warbirds 2020

Post by Kuokkanen »

Please don't frak up please don't frak up please don't frak up [&o]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Interesting, I hope they don't mess it up either. Not very many realistic flight sims out there like they use to be. Mostly arcade that I don't care for.

I didn't think Microprose was still around, that is good news that they are doing this.

I very much like to see these update or improve as well...

Task Force 1942 and Darklands.
somdude

Post by somdude »

Anyone who rememebers Air Warrior times..... we are coming back home [8D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Just read mobile version...

No need to keep track of personally
somdude

Post by somdude »

ORIGINAL: wodin

hmm but it is releasing a year after the PC, so mobile is done separately.
somdude

Post by somdude »

There was new information posted that the version releasing in October is a simulator, mobile version releasing in 2020 is a different game.

I didn't think Microprose was still around, that is good news that they are doing this.

The company got revived.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

iEntertainment (formerly Interactive Magic) have been releasing versions of this on PC since 1998. The only real news is that they now have access to the MicroProse brand.
somdude

Post by somdude »

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

iEntertainment (formerly Interactive Magic) have been releasing versions of this on PC since 1998. The only real news is that they now have access to the MicroProse brand.

They are using Unreal Engine 4.
The iEnterteainment does not have MicroProse brand, MicroProse brand is owned by David Lagettie who is a developer.
aldrend

Post by aldrend »

Very interesting. Can't wait to see the mobile version next year.
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

ORIGINAL: somdude

Anyone who rememebers Air Warrior times..... we are coming back home [8D]

Those were some good times!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Sorry have very little faith that we are about to see new detailed in-depth simulations the kind Microprose used to release but now all done taking advantage of modern PC power. Oh it would be fantastic, I just can't see it happening.

Remember getting keyboard overlays? I would have been lost without them! In fact modern jet sims are way to much for me to grasp, though if they had good old keyboard overlays I'd be flying a couple of sims that I can think of right now.

EDIT: Well just looked at their website, gives me food for thought. Looking at main pics you could read into there being a new B17, Falcon and finally Gunship simulation. Well if that's actually the case and they are actual Sims not arcade games I'd be very happy indeed. Through in Tank game aswell😉😁

Let's hope those pics aren't just bait and do actually have relevance to future plans!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I'm too old to handle it of course, and not sure if the market is there. I guess the success (or not so much) of Steel Beasts would be a good measure if there's enough people with the skill and patience to play. But it ain't me [;)]
somdude

Post by somdude »

EDIT: Well just looked at their website, gives me food for thought. Looking at main pics you could read into there being a new B17, Falcon and finally Gunship simulation. Well if that's actually the case and they are actual Sims not arcade games I'd be very happy indeed. Through in Tank game aswell😉😁

Let's hope those pics aren't just bait and do actually have relevance to future plans!
Yea their site gives some optimism :)
I'm too old to handle it of course, and not sure if the market is there. I guess the success (or not so much) of Steel Beasts would be a good measure if there's enough people with the skill and patience to play. But it ain't me

You are never too old to do things ;)

and market I think is there, there are just games of this kind not made anymore, it's not like people do not want to play them, they just stopped making'em.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Sorry have very little faith that we are about to see new detailed in-depth simulations the kind Microprose used to release but now all done taking advantage of modern PC power. Oh it would be fantastic, I just can't see it happening.
How about Project Cars 2? Race game with large number of different cars, tracks, support for force feedback wheel controllers, and there is some realism too. I tell you, base game comes with enough of quality content WITHOUT DLC to blow all the competition from 1990's clean out of the water. Or at least the ones I know of (Test Drive II, Grand Prix Circuit, Monster Truck Madness...). Simulations aren't dead yet.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
somdude

Post by somdude »

Simulations aren't dead yet.

Exactly, and this has the chance to be the revival of flight simming [&o]
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i thought nowadays the only sims around seem to be the overly realistic ones that are more like training programs for real combat pilots and need whole rooms converted into simulators - ie DCS world's sims and IL Sturmovik games come to mind. I would love to seem more of middle road kind of sims that Microprose did in the 90s and late 80s - Microprose sims were complex but never too much so, the gameplay was never lost

the ientertainment games though dont seem to resemble much of Microprose, i got M4 Tank Brigade as soon as i came out years ago -2011 or something and then again on steam - its not a bad game for what it offers - its fun but it has no campaign and only some generic scenarios for sp - more of an online arena game and seems to be primarily what ientertainment does. it was sold as being a successor to M1 Tank Platoon, but it is most definitely not

what i would like to know is how big is the player base of ientertainment games - they already have a version of warbirds and dawn of aces and m4 tank brigade now

on another note - i actually just managed to install Air Warrior 3 on my windows 10 laptop this week with success. I never played Air Warrior before but always heard about it, sure i was just playing single player but its enjoyable, i like something about the aesthetic of the Air Warrior games.

actually, does Warbirds have any single player elements?
somdude

Post by somdude »

actually, does Warbirds have any single player elements?

offline training, but it's a online flight sim
somdude

Post by somdude »

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

the microprose website seems to be suggesting something far bigger than just what the ientertainment network games have been offering
https://www.microprose.com/index.html

i dont recall the microprose website looking like this earlier,
what they are offering sounds more like something DCS world-esque/Arma in scope? - although DCS and Arma3 are already fairly dominant, i do think there is room for a new Gunship or M1 Tank Platoon!
Gunship 3 is an underrated gem, one i play still and for which there are some good mods and custom missions out there
(actually i have M1 Tank Platoon2 working now again too by way of Dxwnd and Nglide and a few other tweaks)

Return to “General Discussion”