The Wargamers Club for Gentlemen (WGCG)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

noissy

The Wargamers Club for Gentlemen (WGCG)

Post by noissy »

Hi everyone!
Please let me introduce -
The Wargaming Club for Gentlemen (WGCG)
http://www.ww2wargamesclubforgentlemen.com/

The WGCG, (formed in 2011) is dedicated to providing a friendly and enjoyable place for wargamers to meetand play.
From Ancient to Napoleonic and through to modern war, all games and eras are supported here,
People are welcome to join us, just go to the club website > ‘Apply for Membership’, and follow the instructions there.

The WGCG have a number of leagues, supporting over 200 games, including JTS games and Matrix/Slitherine games.
We also store records of gamers/members stats and support leagues for all the games, along with running Tournaments for the members.

Why not come and check us out and better still,join us?
REGARDS
Peter

THE WARGAMERS CLUB FOR GENTLEMEN
(WGCG)

Quality is better than quantity !
MrRoadrunner

RE: The Wargamers Club for Gentlemen (WGCG)

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Keep plugging away Peter.
I wish you and your club all the best! [:)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I used your link to check you out. When I tried to look at the forums I was informed that I had to login. Most forums let you view the threads and you only have to login to post.
noissy

Post by noissy »

The forums are for club members only, Stormbringer. You cannot
access them unless you are a registered member.
REGARDS
Peter

(WGCG)

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Then it should be The Wargamers Club for Members Only. [;)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

I can only get an idea of this club from the link the few places where i can navigate. It uses Microsoft Excel the look is not professional. I can see small membership, little activity (at least from what I can access). The positive, it supports a lot of games. But small membership not sure you will find a player to game with. All in all, As many times through the years that this has been advertised I've never been convinced to become a member.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I can only get an idea of this club from the link the few places where i can navigate. It uses Microsoft Excel the look is not professional. I can see small membership, little activity (at least from what I can access). The positive, it supports a lot of games. But small membership not sure you will find a player to game with. All in all, As many times through the years that this has been advertised I've never been convinced to become a member.
ditto
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
noissy

Post by noissy »

It's for security purposes. When we had a php forum, it was sometimes
compromised, also, as I own the club, I'll call it what I like! [:D]
REGARDS
Peter

(WGCG)

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

It's 2019, you might want to consider that when calling it a 'Gentleman's' club dear.

I have enough trouble being female in a man's world, but the name is off putting.

As far as wargaming goes, I find the men here are well behaved and I like that. I'm likely not inclined to search out wargaming opponents elsewhere.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
noissy

Post by noissy »

Thanks for the input, Zap. I can assure you that, although a small membership, that
is because we keep a good reputation as a friendly club to be in. Numbers are not so
important, quality of the membership is.
As for activity, we reset the leagues as from April, when the database was updated.
We actually average about 400 game reports each year so, there is a lot of activity
amongst the 'small' membership.
Professional looking? - Maybe as a larger club, we could afford a whole better set up
but, this has been created through peoples' voluntary efforts and, creates a good,
functional database and many members are extremely happy to belong to the club.
Obviously, whether someone wants to join or not is a personal choice. I don't really worry
about that, I am just giving people the choice and making them aware.
You may also be surprised at some of the members we have in the WGCG, well known names in
the wargaming World!
REGARDS
Peter

(WGCG)

noissy

Post by noissy »

Madam, the title was created as experiences at another site were disgusting.
It was a point being made about the conduct of members towards each other.
Women of course are welcome. If the title offends you, don't join?
REGARDS
Peter

(WGCG)

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Well I have not joined and I tried to be a gentlemen (not always successful), but perhaps their name should change to : "The Wargamers Club for Gentlemen and Gentlewomen".

Although Mrs Wargamer you are in a very very very tiny number of wargmers. I have war gamed since 1976 and I can count on one hand (3 in the US, 1 in the UK and 1 in Germany) the actual number of women that war game. I have been to many many board war game tournaments and usually (about 95% of the time), the woman are wives. Good to see some women folk playing war games.

By war games I mean of course 'war', 'warfare', 'military', 'history' or historic military conflict (board or computerized), not fantasy games.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Zap

Post by Zap »

The club to which I belong sure has fantastic members some from the gaming world. So, I've been satisfied now for many years. Though I thank you for the invite.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

If not for board game geek, I'd flat out state I had never met a single female wargamer :)

I've never met one in person though.

I feel even odder for my love of tank models :) The guys at the hobby club are great guys, but I'm an oddity there too.

I dooo sooo love the conversations when it comes to complaining about wives though hehe. Hah I'm the wife :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: noissy

....I own the club, I'll call it what I like! [:D]
warspite1

Lol - absolutely!.

And as someone born of a certain time and now of advancing years, I like the title. But then I find I'm getting more nostalgic as time moves on.

However, the times they are a changin' as someone once warbled. We live in a very different world now - even Muirfield Golf Club made the decision to allow women members! - and I guess the title of the club can be considered something of an anachronism?

Just my £0.02
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Most people probably wouldn't want to belong to a club that advertised itself as toilet-trained, friendly, and well-behaved.

But women in wargaming are so few and far between that when you actually encounter one you want to stand up and cheer, so not encouraging them is a bad idea.

A few years back Command Magazine ran a (regrettably short) series of ads that featured photographs and interviews with the women involved in their games.

I wouldn't have wanted to go out with any of them because they were a little weird, but that's because they were from California, not because they were wargamers.

A lot of my relatives are a little weird, and they're from California too.

I'm generally averse to joining clubs, and have found that being cautious about that sort of thing is probably the better policy.

But if I'm ever curious about joining a club, the first thing I'll do is scan their message boards to try to figure out whether I want to have anything to do with those people or not.

I really don't want to have to join a club to discover that these are people I don't want to keep company with.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Philippeatbay

Most people probably wouldn't want to belong to a club that advertised itself as toilet-trained, friendly, and well-behaved.

But women in wargaming are so few and far between that when you actually encounter one you want to stand up and cheer, so not encouraging them is a bad idea.

A few years back Command Magazine ran a (regrettably short) series of ads that featured photographs and interviews with the women involved in their games.

I wouldn't have wanted to go out with any of them because they were a little weird, but that's because they were from California, not because they were wargamers.

A lot of my relatives are a little weird, and they're from California too.

I'm generally averse to joining clubs, and have found that being cautious about that sort of thing is probably the better policy.

But if I'm ever curious about joining a club, the first thing I'll do is scan their message boards to try to figure out whether I want to have anything to do with those people or not.

I really don't want to have to join a club to discover that these are people I don't want to keep company with.
As the saying goes, I would never belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member.

"A lot of my relatives are a little weird, and they're from California too."
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just my £0.02
So do you get any interest from that 2% £?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Please be nice, gentlemen. They are nicely asking if people want to join their community. No need to say anything at all if you do not want to join them.

Have a nice day, gentlemen. Ladies.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just my £0.02
So do you get any interest from that 2% £?
Just historical interest.

Return to “General Discussion”