Random Q's

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Bamilus

Random Q's

Post by Bamilus »

Hey all,

I'm finally really starting to get into this game and have a few random questions (will have more later):

1. Is there any way to see the combat results or damage from an RBC or from (forget the specific term) fire from moving along an enemies ZOC?
2. I like having the BTS on the map but I hate having the swords show on top of the counters. Is there a way to keep the BTS icons but have them show underneath the counters (at least for the red one in the bottom right)?
3. Is there any way to edit the games hotkeys?

Thanks yall
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Zovs

RE: Random Q's

Post by Zovs »

Not 100% sure but my guess:
1. No
2. Unknown
3. No
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Not 100% sure but my guess:
1. No
2. Unknown
3. No

Dang, don't like the answers but appreciate the quick response.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus
3. Is there any way to edit the games hotkeys?
Actually you can probably do this with a free third party program called AutoHotKeys. It is a great program, and I've used it to extensively modify the hotkeys for the Panzer Campaign series. I haven't actually used it for TOAW yet, but expect that it should work.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

1. Yeah, I really wish these results would be available in Combat Results to be checked by the player. Sometimes these things are quite significant.

2. No but you can mod your tiles_misc to make them less intrusive and not obscure the unit stats below. I've done it myself, with Cabido's swords, which are *much* nicer-looking too [;)]

3. I've made a script for WASD controls in Autohotkey, and moved the most used controls near the left of the keyboard, works great and saves time when doing stuff on lots of units.
https://pastebin.com/ZJFQyZcX
https://www.autohotkey.com/
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

You should be given information about any losses your side takes regardless the reason. Shouldn't be left in the dark about what happens on your own side.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Have a few more Q's, some are probably dumb and have been answered but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it -

1. Found answer

2. At end of turn, if I want artillery to support troops that are defending, should I keep artillery in tactical reserve mode or defense mode (dug in), disregarding supply considerations?

3. The manual says that cooperation penalties apply to both defender and attack. Does this mean to both attack and defender within the same battle? E.g. I'm attacking with a 67% efficiency due to no cooperation, does that reduce the defender by the same amount and thereby make the battle less bloody? Or does it just mean that a defender will also have any cooperation penalties if it has non cooperating units defending in the same hex with it (or supporting it)?

4. What is an RBC stand? When someone passes a QC on an RBC check they no longer are subject to RBC checks until they lose 50% or more strength, right?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Have a few more Q's, some are probably dumb and have been answered but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it -

1. Found answer

2. At end of turn, if I want artillery to support troops that are defending, should I keep artillery in tactical reserve mode or defense mode (dug in), disregarding supply considerations?

Either. Dug in has defensive advantages if the unit is attacked, but tactical can't be knocked out of support mode.
3. The manual says that cooperation penalties apply to both defender and attack. Does this mean to both attack and defender within the same battle? E.g. I'm attacking with a 67% efficiency due to no cooperation, does that reduce the defender by the same amount and thereby make the battle less bloody? Or does it just mean that a defender will also have any cooperation penalties if it has non cooperating units defending in the same hex with it (or supporting it)?

The latter.
4. What is an RBC stand? When someone passes a QC on an RBC check they no longer are subject to RBC checks until they lose 50% or more strength, right?

Right.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

New Q: do you guys give the computer any handicap? I have AI set to strong but am wondering if I should give 20% handicap, too. Or is it situational based on each scenario?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

New Q: do you guys give the computer any handicap? I have AI set to strong but am wondering if I should give 20% handicap, too. Or is it situational based on each scenario?
I'm guessing it depends on the scenario. D21 is already a trial so I don't go further than setting the AI to "strong". I would probably never win if I give the AI a handicap on top of that. I don't know actually, I've never tried it. That's the next thing I need to test.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

do you guys give the computer any handicap?
If a scenario isn't much of a challenge then the first [and easiest] thing you can do is up the PO boost. For D21, I go Strong +2 [;)]

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”