Thermal sight against infantry in AB is bit undermined.

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
exsonic01

Thermal sight against infantry in AB is bit undermined.

Post by exsonic01 »

It is during pre-made campaign, defending Fulda, and I have a good winning streak against AI. I'm continuously attacking to the East.

It is rainy day under poor weather condition, but M1A1s with thermal sight cannot see infantry target 300m~400m away. The tank failed to recognize enemy MG team shooting at the tank for about a few minutes.

Another HMG team shooting at tanks, and M1A1s cannot recognize enemy HMG team. This is even ~100m distance.

They figured out HMG team about 1 min later and killed them. But this totally don't make sense, M1A1 with thermal sight cannot see enemy HMG team shooting at them for a while, which was 100m in front of them?

Now it is night, but M2A2s with thermal sight coudln't see enemy infantry about 200m~300m in front of them. Friendly infantry, who approached to the right in front of enemy mech infantry recognize them, and shooting at them. Then M2A2s followed.

I saw thermal sight units see enemy vehicle in rainy night much better. But against infantry, I guess thermal sight receives bit too harsh penalty.

1st gen thermal suffered from low resolution, but still it can show some white signal on the screen, even against enemy infantry. I was expecting to see at least yellow unidentified icon, if fails to recognize due to rain. But as you see from above pics, not even yellow icon appears, thermals are blind as same degree as bare eye sight against infantry.

Thermal sight during good day should be able to detect enemy infantry, but when I play AB, vehicles with thermal sight still fails to detect and recognize enemy infantry in broad daylight. I feels like detection ability of thermal sight against enemy infantry is a bit undervalued despite of weather. Vehicles with thermal should approach too close to detect and recognize enemy infantry (from further distance in nice day than rainy day).

AFAIK fog can degrade thermal in moderate degree, depending on how thick the fog is. But in relative sense, rain doesn't hinder thermal that much like the fog. But I feels like rain in this game induces overpenalty to thermal sight.

ps) I think the response of thermal sight in the screenshot I listed in here is more looks like the response under foggy day environment, not rainy day environment. Rain degrades thermal, but not that much. I think, thermal sight units should be able to detect at least unidentified yellow icon after around 30sec observation against enemy infantry under circumstances of screenshot. Those opposite infantry were close.
Veitikka

RE: Thermal sight against infantry in AB is bit undermined.

Post by Veitikka »

We discussed the spotting issues with the team, and have decided to increase the TI system spotting bonus somewhat. The TI unit purchase cost is increased slightly.

The HMG signature value should be higher than it is in the database, and it will be increased.

Also, we're experimenting with adding a small fixed size signature increase to all weapons. This affects the low signature weapons (assault rifles, MGs) the most. It is an engine change, not in the database.

About the TI systems and rain/fog: Currently we don't have rain and fog separately in the game (other than the passing rain clouds), and I think it's not easy to get hard data on the subject?
Know thyself!
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Thank you, I'm great to hear about this.
About the TI systems and rain/fog: Currently we don't have rain and fog separately in the game (other than the passing rain clouds), and I think it's not easy to get hard data on the subject?

Oh well then... maybe how about introducing foggy weather later in the future? Maybe it would be possible to create something similar with current cloud graphic on the ground, and give very low visibility.

Or, maybe it would be possible to regard/assume 'bad' weather as heavy fog or heavy rain, and 'poor' weather as light fog or normal/light rain, and control efficiency of thermal sight / light amplification night vision accordingly. How do you think?

As far as I know, in fog, MMW (millimeter wave) is better option than thermal or visible light. But in good weather, and small or normal rain condition, thermal sight performs better than MMW or visible spectrum optics. Super heavy rain hinders all spectrum, visible, IR, and MMW. From my memory, those were for old models of cold war, not modern thermals or radars.

There were no MMW imaging or detecting equipment during cold war which were purchased & deployed to army on the field as far as I know. Apache longbow, which contains MMW and other band radar, was tested from 91 but official deployment was later, like 96 or 97. So this MMW feature might help in the future project or modern / future war mod.

I doubt it would be possible to acquire any real 'hard' data about visibility with detectors for different wavelengths, but I think you guys can rely on good educated guess, like CMBS or CMANO or FPC-RS do. I think they nicely modeled those features, and why not AB?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I am thinking everyone is really impressed with the detail level of the game, the feedback (such as here) and responses of the devs and Matrix. Especially as this is a brand-new release. Am really hoping that future DLC sales will make this niche project sustainable down the road.

Also, would love to see big success on Steam. CMANO did it, as like this game, it is pretty playable without cracking the manual.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi

Is there an ETA on those changes?

Cheers
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: Lowlaner2012

Hi

Is there an ETA on those changes?

Cheers

I'm guessing they will be out in July, with the new scenario editor system.
Know thyself!
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Cool, looking forward to July then 😎

Return to “Armored Brigade”