New manual

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

AFV

RE: New manual

Post by AFV »

Hey Chris
First off, great work. Anyone just taking on this monster deserves kudos- and then doing a great job of it on top of that- extraordinary!

Anyways
Under 9.1.1, the 6th bullet point reads
• Units that are below 40 automatically gain one morale point.

However, that does not appear to be true, at least for the Soviet player on turn 1 (results seen on start of turn 2), per a test game of mine.

One other comment- the first two bullet points read for units below 50 morale- and you get the impression that you are just as likely to gain a morale point if you are sitting at 40 morale vs 48 morale- however in practice, (for example) there does appear to be some kind of die roll that makes you much more likely to gain from 40 to 41, than from 48 to 49. I know that is sorta insinuated there is a die roll involved with the "can" part of the statement- but it is a bit misleading. Unless I am mistaken and it really is just as likely, certainly could be.

56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: AFV

Hey Chris
First off, great work. Anyone just taking on this monster deserves kudos- and then doing a great job of it on top of that- extraordinary!

Anyways
Units that are below 40 automatically gain one morale point.

However, that does not appear to be true, at least for the Soviet player on turn 1 (results seen on start of turn 2), per a test game of mine.

Agree. Demonstrably incorrect. I checked a unit that hadn't moved in the game, 8 hexes from the enemy, on rail in full supply, with Morale of 37. Next turn it dropped to 36.!!!!!

Perhaps the 1 point increase in morale is added at the start of Set Morale process and not to the final calculated result.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: AFV

Hey Chris

Anyways
• Units that are below 40 automatically gain one morale point.

One other comment- the first two bullet points read for units below 50 morale- and you get the impression that you are just as likely to gain a morale point if you are sitting at 40 morale vs 48 morale- however in practice, (for example) there does appear to be some kind of die roll that makes you much more likely to gain from 40 to 41, than from 48 to 49. I know that is sorta insinuated there is a die roll involved with the "can" part of the statement- but it is a bit misleading. Unless I am mistaken and it really is just as likely, certainly could be.

This particlar bullet came from patch v1.07.10 - August 12, 2013. New Features and Rule Changes No 6.

There's no logistic phase on the first turn for the player going first so this should have no effect on the numbers you see but I suppose it is possible.

And there's this regarding new units and relacements. I suspect his this the culprit.

9.1.5. Morale of New Units
The build morale of newly built units and replacements is randomly determined between 50% and 75% (rounding up) of current
national morale with the following exceptions of newly created Soviet Ski units which receive a morale bonus over the current national
morale based on the date as follows: +5 in Sept 42, +10 in Sept 43, and +15 in Sept 44.

I've no reason to doubt any of this isn't correct so if this isn't the reason I suspect there might be other non obvious factors at play here that reduce morale, particularly on the first turn.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

My test was to play Human vs Human, just keep on hitting end turn until I arrived at week 8 and 9 and checked some Soviet units.

This defect, if thats what it is, would explain (sort of) why some units never have an increase in morale.

C'est la guerre aérienne
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Lack of supply can hit morale. You should have a look if that was the case for the 37->36

Morale only grows to NM level for each unit. The 40/50 thresholds are not active anymore.

From what I know
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

For details see this post: fb.asp?m=4601993
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Lack of supply can hit morale. You should have a look if that was the case for the 37->36

Morale only grows to NM level for each unit. The 40/50 thresholds are not active anymore.

From what I know

Unit was on a Sov rail within 5 hexes of HQ with supply at 99-100%.

However Axis units were under 10 hexes away, so I moved the unit beyond 10 hexes, hit end turn, end turn, and morale went up by 3 points to 40, not on refit.

So to improve morale get your unit beyond 10 hexes.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

According to post 26 here tm.asp?m=4628122 there was an error in the old manual that has never been corrected. Has the new manual included this, or is it worth including?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

According to post 26 here tm.asp?m=4628122 there was an error in the old manual that has never been corrected. Has the new manual included this, or is it worth including?
ORIGINAL: morvael

I think manual was never correct. The chance to get bonus +1 to admin rolls was always (number of support squads in hq / 1000), and I didn't invent that.

So this sentence can go from 11.3.1 then.

'Approximately one admin point is subtracted from the leader's admin rating for every ten percent the HQ unit is below its TOE support squad strength, with a max reduction of five points.'
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I think manual was never correct. The chance to get bonus +1 to admin rolls was always (number of support squads in hq / 1000), and I didn't invent that.

So this sentence can go from 11.3.1 then.

'Approximately one admin point is subtracted from the leader's admin rating for every ten percent the HQ unit is below its TOE support squad strength, with a max reduction of five points.'

Yes the sentence will need to go - but something else needs to replace it. My own knowledge of the rule is

"There is a penalty that reduces admin ratings continuously as it has fewer of the support squads in the HQ than it should have."

That is my best understanding at the moment. Hopefully someone else can provide more detail than I can as the formula is still ambiguous to me?
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Correction - I think Morvael has given the definitive answer in tm.asp?m=4628122

There is absolutely no penalty to admin rolls ever due to lack of support squads. So that sentence can be supplied. There is just the +1 bonus as described there which needs to be included if it is not.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Correction to Section 11.3.1 specifically on the Leader Admin Bonus.

11.3.1. Leader Rating Check Procedure

Each leader rating check is essentially the computer generating a Random(x) value where if the result is less than the leader rating then the check is passed, but if the result is greater than the rating, the check fails. Leaders of headquarters units where the number of attached units exceeds the command capacity (7.7.2) will have their chances of making the leader rating check reduced with the more excess units, the less the chance of a successful check.

In addition, there’s a chance to get a +1 bonus to leader admin checks based on the number of support squads in his HQ unit divided by 1000. So top-level HQ with 1000 squads should always pass this test and grant this bonus. A corps with 250 squads has only 25% chance to grant this bonus, and so on. Reducing support squads linearly lowers your chance to pass that test, so even one squad less results in a lower chance to get this bonus.

Link in first post.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Chris21wen, here are details of leader rolls:
fb.asp?m=3761599
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Chris21wen, here are details of leader rolls:
fb.asp?m=3761599

I'll incorporate this into manual.
Jericoh

Post by Jericoh »

Many thanks for this updated manual!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

morvael, I've just read the manual in relation to how chain of command checks work and the manual gives the impression that only corps have a random(10) chance, while armies have a (20) chance etc. This is not correct is it? The (10) chance applies to immediate HQ, typically army for the Soviets.

The Command Range Modifier when applicable does apply though.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen
morvael, I've just read the manual in relation to how chain of command checks work and the manual gives the impression that only corps have a random(10) chance, while armies have a (20) chance etc. This is not correct is it? The (10) chance applies to immediate HQ, typically army for the Soviets.
The Command Range Modifier when applicable does apply though.

This is a problem throughout the old manual - corps has to usually read as meaning "the first level of command" whenever you are talking about these chains of command effects. The first level of command is typically corps for Axis and army for Soviet, but indeed could even be armygroup/front or high command. Going through and replacing terms with the words "1st level HQ" "2nd level HQ" etc would certainly make the concepts clearer for new players.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Also do you know about the last chance rolls etc? They were not documented in the manual or change notes but have been described since.
There are actually two "last chance" rolls possible, one (Die(100)<50+difficulty level-99) for
support units attached to cities and airbase units not attached to air HQs, and one
(Die(100)<difficulty level-99) for all units. This means that on default difficulty level of 100, the
first roll has a 50% chance of success, while the second 0%, and this goes smoothly by 1% up and
down depending on difficulty levels. For all rolls other than administrative roll, side's morale level is
used and for administrative roll, side's logistics level is used to determine bonus. In the previous
version of the game there was no equivalent of first roll, and the equivalent of the second one
varied from roll to roll: morale roll succeeded when Die(60)<side's morale level-100 (so it was
1.6% for each level after 101), all initiative rolls succeeded when side's morale level was greater
than 100, all admin rolls succeeded when side's logistics level was greater than 100, and other rolls
had no chance to succeed if the regular rolls failed. The new method is consistent and offers
smooth scaling of difficulty instead of kicking with full effect on level 101. Also the first roll in new
method is a "life saver" for units that are out of proper command chain, and 50% chance seemed
best choice.

There were quite a few of these extras to ratings checks that are only documented in forum posts. So if only working from manuals and change notes these might not have been picked up?
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I assume this sentence in 11.2.4 is now redundant?

Admin checks are specifically affected by the actual number of support squad ground elements in the leader's HQ unit as compared to the HQ unit TOE (11.3.1).

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

I assume this sentence in 11.2.4 is now redundant?

Admin checks are specifically affected by the actual number of support squad ground elements in the leader's HQ unit as compared to the HQ unit TOE (11.3.1).

No, there's still a Admin check all-be-it not the same as before.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”