Greetings!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AleRonin

Greetings!

Post by AleRonin »

Hello to all!

New player here, I think I will be busy for the rest of my gaming life with this monster (hopefully for a very long time [:D]), what a beautiful mess!

Usually I prefer to read all topics and all guides before to start a game but here I have to change my approach, start small and easy!

I'm not very keen on playing against AI, therefore what would be the best scenario(s) to start with?
Or better, is there any order to follow before the big campaign?

Thanks!
Leandros

RE: Greetings!

Post by Leandros »

Welcome to the GAME, AleRonin! You have obviously grabbed the essentials!

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Welcome to the learning cliff. I started with the grand campaign and a background in WWII and the Pacific. I restarted about 6 times to get good feel of the game. I would recommend starting against the AI to learn the basics then try Coral Sea and Guadalcanal against a human. There are newbie guides which I don't have handy. Feel free to search and ask questions. Good luck....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Start reading the manual, completely

then I suggest try a few games of Coral Sea, then Aleutians campaign,
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Read the manual. Keep in in the bath room for reading matter. Read everything Alfred , Obvert and other "wise man" players have written. Then the "fun" begins. Here's what I recommend. 1st play against the AI in every single small scenario. I recommend playing one side , then play it again as the other. Then find a mentor to play against you in each of the small scenario's. Again , play as one side , then the other. Then try playing against the AI in the "grand campaign as the allies. Ask for help from the other players. Then ask for more. Eventually , you'll decide to try playing the grand campaign as allies against a real , experienced player. Find the most experienced person that will play against you. Be very, very ,VERY nice to them. Be honest , and try to verify that you ARE NOT playing another rookie. Asking a experienced player to take on the PBEM is asking as very time consuming thing. Be sure that you will put a lot of effort into it. They are doing you a extremely good turn. Respect them. And learn to eventually kick the crap out of them. [:D]

Welcome aboard shipmate! [:)] May this game bring you much joy , and may you come to treasure time spent playing it as well as we do. [;)]
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Echoing Jorge, the Coral Sea and Aleutians scenarios are good short ones to get practice with the basic mechanics of the game. Try each one against the AI, playing both the Allies and the Japanese so you get a sense of what each side is capable of.

The full campaign can take as long as the real war. [X(]
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Echoing Jorge, the Coral Sea and Aleutians scenarios are good short ones to get practice with the basic mechanics of the game. Try each one against the AI, playing both the Allies and the Japanese so you get a sense of what each side is capable of.

The full campaign can take as long as the real war. [X(]

Actually, the full campaign will take longer than the real war, as real life intrudes. We have the luxury of taking a day off now and then, they didn't.
AleRonin

Post by AleRonin »

Thanks to all!

I have read the manual and played few turns against the AI (small scenarios only), I have read some guides too (like The Air Mission Coordination Guide v2.1).

There are 587 pages in the main forum, a couple of years and I'm fine [:D]

Ok for the Coral Sea and Aleutians scenarios then, next Guadalcanal [:)]

Edit: pages not topics!
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: AleRonin

Thanks to all!

I have read the manual and played few turns against the AI (small scenarios only), I have read some guides too (like The Air Mission Coordination Guide v2.1).

There are 587 topics in the main forum, a couple of years and I'm fine [:D]

Ok for the Coral Sea and Aleutians scenarios then, next Guadalcanal [:)]
Now that you've read the manual, remember that patches have changed all the important stuff. [:D]
AleRonin

Post by AleRonin »

Oh well...only 134 pages [:)]
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Welcome aboard AleRonin!
Dili

Post by Dili »

Another Welcome.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

+1

note: It is impossible to learn this game completely. I believe only a small handful have and they made it.[:D]
AleRonin

Post by AleRonin »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

+1

note: It is impossible to learn this game completely. I believe only a small handful have and they made it.[:D]

I'm going to use the 80/20 rule then [:)] (Pareto principle)
AleRonin

Post by AleRonin »

Btw, is there an up-to-date manual or the original one+WhatsNew are all what I need?

Thanks
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Alfred tried to compile the updated manual, but his effort fizzled.

The original manual is mostly valid. There are FAQs, newbie help and Alfred 101s threads in the forums that explain game's features in greater detail.

BTW, after some manual reading, new players ask about the tutorial mentioned in the original manual. There is no tutorial, sadly.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Btw, is there an up-to-date manual or the original one+WhatsNew are all what I need?

Thanks

This forum is what you need! [;)]

Here is a list of threads and helpful pages for all to use.

Links and Info
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Thanks

This forum is what you need! [;)]

Here is a list of threads and helpful pages for all to use.

Links and Info

Very helpful list obvert....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Edward75

Post by Edward75 »

Oh well...only 134 pages

This is NOT a problem yet. There are many players who do not know English. We need to first translate entire manual, then read, then study!
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

...in repose, clutching his English manual.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”