Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Hister_MatrixForum

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by Hister_MatrixForum »

Hi.

Haven't played the game much in the past. Have the itch to jump back in. I thought of using the IceMAnia's AI mod but now I see this mod. Are the things that IceMania's mod tackleS, namely the deficits of the vanilla game, also tackled in this mod?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Hister_MatrixForum

Hi.

Haven't played the game much in the past. Have the itch to jump back in. I thought of using the IceMAnia's AI mod but now I see this mod. Are the things that IceMania's mod tackleS, namely the deficits of the vanilla game, also tackled in this mod?

His mod modifies text files for AI priorities such as shipbuilding and research. You can dump his files into my mod or any compilation using my mod. Its totally compatible.

I purposefully tried to stay away from making the kinds of changes that others could do so as to not duplicate work.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: DWS360

Is it possible to add Extended Universe to that, w/o to burst my systems that is?
You have modified missile ranges for a better balance, anything else?

Thanks a lot for your mod + your help.

I think RetreatUE and Extended Universe mod the same things so they are not directly compatible. IIRC one was based on the other.
Hister_MatrixForum

Post by Hister_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

ORIGINAL: Hister_MatrixForum

Hi.

His mod modifies text files for AI priorities such as shipbuilding and research. You can dump his files into my mod or any compilation using my mod. Its totally compatible.

I purposefully tried to stay away from making the kinds of changes that others could do so as to not duplicate work.
That is great news then, thank you.
MatBailie

Post by MatBailie »

Wow, this is fantastic. This may just satisfy me until DW2, or I retire, which ever comes first...

Is the a summary of the changes and the new commands anywhere? I've checked the help, the readme, and the original post, but the don't appear to have kept up with the pace of change. I'll start scanning this thread when I get a chance, unless there's a better reference point :)

Thanks for sharing your work!
[&o]
Desktop: Intel i5 12400F 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, AMD RX 6700 XT 12GB
Laptop: Intel i7 10750H 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1660 Ti MaxQ 6GB

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." Bertrand Russell
Krankenhausen

Post by Krankenhausen »

What I think it should be in baconsettings is for the vanilla behaviour is:
fighterBayLabel=
bomberBayLabel=
mixedBayLabel=fighter

The default names of the bays have "fighter" in them, this should make mixed bays of them meaning they will build both fighters and bombers, as I understand it.
SteamSlither

Post by SteamSlither »

I just got this game as the result of a FANATICAL BUNDLE introducing me to this intriguing game.

Not understanding it, I plowed forward (mainly as a spectator since the AI controlled most everything) and quickly understand the need for this mod:

The one thing I want to be sure of since there seems to be some question as given by nelsonlee_slith and Krankenhausen.

Fighter bomber bay clarification..

...IF we do NOT WANT to control fighters / bombers/bays manually, ie have the AI control the build as in vanilla, (50/50 split), in BaconWorld folder we REMOVE
components.txt, research.txt and fighters.txt files. All else can remain?

INSTALL clarification?
FYI, I gather this is a REPLACEMENT MOD in the sense its .exe REPLACEs DistantWorlds.exe , therefore in reference to not using components.txt, research.txt and fighters.txt files, do the other files in BaconWorld overwrite the main game files in their respective folders
(ie GameText.txt, facilities.txt help folder and Images folder [not a lot of files])

or should BaconWorld(with its remaining files to get the terraforming) be placed in the customization folder and activated?

thanks
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: SteamSlither

I just got this game as the result of a FANATICAL BUNDLE introducing me to this intriguing game.

Not understanding it, I plowed forward (mainly as a spectator since the AI controlled most everything) and quickly understand the need for this mod:

The one thing I want to be sure of since there seems to be some question as given by nelsonlee_slith and Krankenhausen.

Fighter bomber bay clarification..

...IF we do NOT WANT to control fighters / bombers/bays manually, ie have the AI control the build as in vanilla, (50/50 split), in BaconWorld folder we REMOVE
components.txt, research.txt and fighters.txt files. All else can remain?
Baconworld is a mod so its placed in the customization folder and none of those files overwrite anything. The only file that overwrites is the exe which is placed in the main folder.

To be clear, in ALL cases the Ai will build fighters automatically. The only thing the mod changes is what kind it builds (Fighters, bombers, or both) for a given module. To have a module that build 50/50 fighters and bombers, make sure you have a module that matches the name you define in the baconSettings.txt file for "mixedBayLabel". Mine says
fighterBayLabel=fighter
bomberBayLabel=bomber
mixedBayLabel=assault

If a module contains the appropriate label it will create fighters of that type. So, using my settings above, if I had a module called "Super kickass assault bay" it would make 50% fighters and 50% bombers because it contained the word "assault". Clear as mud?
[/quote]

SteamSlither

Post by SteamSlither »

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I got it now, how to retain the default settings and now have more knowledge if I choose to experiment with fighter bomber loadouts. AND especially for clarification on the install process!!!
Overlord015

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Overlord015 »

Hi! I don't know if you take requests, but. . . Would it be possible to remove the "must be set to evade" requirement for civilian ships? I've been toying around with some exotic ship designs recently, I'd really love to experiment and see if private sector "Privateers/PMCs" are viable. This would also synergize pretty well with your changes to the civilian ship weapon build limit. If balance is an issue you could make it so installing hangars or offensive weapons effectively doubles the upkeep on private sector ships, that should keep players and AI alike from privatizing their navy. With the 10 weapon build limit these ships should still be weaker than a military vessel anyways, but coupled with freighter behaviors these should, theoretically, be rather effective patrol vessels for your shipping lanes and opportunistic commerce raiders whenever they happen to spot any hostile ships when docking in neutral ports.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: Overlord015

Hi! I don't know if you take requests, but. . . Would it be possible to remove the "must be set to evade" requirement for civilian ships? I've been toying around with some exotic ship designs recently, I'd really love to experiment and see if private sector "Privateers/PMCs" are viable. This would also synergize pretty well with your changes to the civilian ship weapon build limit. If balance is an issue you could make it so installing hangars or offensive weapons effectively doubles the upkeep on private sector ships, that should keep players and AI alike from privatizing their navy. With the 10 weapon build limit these ships should still be weaker than a military vessel anyways, but coupled with freighter behaviors these should, theoretically, be rather effective patrol vessels for your shipping lanes and opportunistic commerce raiders whenever they happen to spot any hostile ships when docking in neutral ports.
something somewhat similar to the German "Auxiliary Cruisers" of the World War One.. [:)]
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Overlord015

I remember trying this at some point in the past. The results were less than ideal. The freighters exhibited schizophrenic behavior. One moment they would be attacking an enemy and then they would be fleeing from the same enemy. The best thing you can do for aggressive freighters is to set them to "flee when attacked" or even "Flee never" and load them up with weapons.
SteamSlither

Post by SteamSlither »

I've been using this, it seems rather crashy and intermittent when compared to vanilla, especially if looking at troops on the planet screen does not always bring up the surface screen without the planet policy screen coming in ahead of it, or some kind of exceptiojn error dialogue box (I can dismiss it and keep playing) or its just unresponsive and I have to do something else then come back to the troop selection (left had corner clicking on "TROOPS"
When cycling through colonies it also from time to time gets stuck or stop working. Sometimes the game locks up and I have to restart, rare when compared to vanilla.

I have been mainly playing Ancient Universe if that has something to do with it.

Maybe its my setup
Is there a minimalistic setup I should be looking at in the Bacon settings?
I like the idea of all troop transports being targeted first, is there a hexeidt hack I can do on vanilla?
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

I've been using this, it seems rather crashy and intermittent when compared to vanilla, especially if looking at troops on the planet screen does not always bring up the surface screen without the planet policy screen coming in ahead of it, or some kind of exceptiojn error dialogue box (I can dismiss it and keep playing) or its just unresponsive and I have to do something else then come back to the troop selection (left had corner clicking on "TROOPS"
When cycling through colonies it also from time to time gets stuck or stop working. Sometimes the game locks up and I have to restart, rare when compared to vanilla.

I have been mainly playing Ancient Universe if that has something to do with it.

Maybe its my setup
Is there a minimalistic setup I should be looking at in the Bacon settings?

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues. I do a lot of invasions and I've never had any of the problems you describe. Nor have I heard others having those issues.
The most minimalistic setup would be to run just BaconWorld without any other mod but that shouldn't be necessary. I have combined my with Unleashed Extended, Beyond Extended, and others for years. I have not used the "Ancient Galaxy" mod though.
I like the idea of all troop transports being targeted first, is there a hexeidt hack I can do on vanilla?
Probably but I wouldn't know where it is. Sorry.
SteamSlither

Post by SteamSlither »

I discovered that the game not targeting unarmed troop transports is a PLAYER exploit and does not affect the AI since the AI cannot build unarmed troop transports.

This I discovered from another mod where the designer left troop transports for some races unarmed so the player, if playing that race, can build their own transport design.

In the normal game (I have not checked them all yet), as far as I can tell, all troop transports come ARMED meaning the AI will build them and in the vanilla game, I gather, will see them as targets along with the rest.

UNARMED transport designs DO NOT APPEAR in the design list unless the player first builds one, then it upgrades normally under automation.

AIs that have modded Unarmed transports do not appear in their build list, so those AIs will never be able to invade or retake planets or assist their allies in doing so.

Troop transports, with the exception of the Bacon Mod, if designed unarmed, will allow the player to swoop in confident that their troop ships will not be targeted ahead of "armed" ships; hence the player exploit.

Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I discovered that the game not targeting unarmed troop transports is a PLAYER exploit and does not affect the AI since the AI cannot build unarmed troop transports.

This I discovered from another mod where the designer left troop transports for some races unarmed so the player, if playing that race, can build their own transport design.

In the normal game (I have not checked them all yet), as far as I can tell, all troop transports come ARMED meaning the AI will build them and in the vanilla game, I gather, will see them as targets along with the rest.

UNARMED transport designs DO NOT APPEAR in the design list unless the player first builds one, then it upgrades normally under automation.

AIs that have modded Unarmed transports do not appear in their build list, so those AIs will never be able to invade or retake planets or assist their allies in doing so.

Troop transports, with the exception of the Bacon Mod, if designed unarmed, will allow the player to swoop in confident that their troop ships will not be targeted ahead of "armed" ships; hence the player exploit.

agree, it is a true human player "exploit" and it should not be allowed.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I don't bring in troop ships with invasion ships. They come when a system is clear. There are many exploits though and I play with house rules.
Sokar408

Post by Sokar408 »

When I try to start the game, the loading screen appears briefly, then disappears and nothing happens. Any idea what I can do to get the mod working?
Sokar408

Post by Sokar408 »

Nvm. It turned out to the the base game, that was the problem. I managed to fix it.
FFCecil

Post by FFCecil »

This is a must use mod for one simple reason for me. I always design my own ships and I've been dying to have it do exactly what it does with your mod. Selects the left hand side components when you select one in your ship design!!! Awesome. TY

One thing I would like to see. For your resource filter command, could you maybe add a !fr command that does the exact same thing as !FilterResource or shorten that command. Please save my tired hands.

I like the agent prisoner feature, but it's a bit unbalancing especially when the race that the prisoner's are from don't exist anymore and yet I still get paid. This last game I checked it after I destroyed the Borg and there were two agents in there and each released for over 5m each. I went from negative cash to 10m.

Thanks for the good work. I been playing so much DW Star Trek mod and this mod working well in it.

Return to “Design and Modding”