Game start up error

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

cierzo74

RE: Game start up error

Post by cierzo74 »

Just bought the game today, installed and updated. Same problem, when I try to start a game I have the message "Error creating new game. Try exiting the program to clear the memory."

Replacing MAP and UNIT data didnt solve the problem.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

can you pm me your report spec?

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just attach it to your post as it's a Txt file which is then permitted to attach to the forum.

as a new member, welcome btw you may not be able to post it here, so pm me it and i'll paste if you like and look and see if anything sticks out
and offer what advice i can to help
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

installing and running the game as install as admin and run as admin on the default installer and updater should set up the correct file permissions to load and run, unless running none default AV and or firewall programs on windows 10 etc.

so download the latest version and patch, right click install as admin then right click run as admin once installed to the default path
cierzo74

Post by cierzo74 »

Installed as admin on default route. Updated 03 and run as admin, and the same problem. Dxdiag sent toy you (you can post it if it helps). Thanks for your help.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: cierzo74

Just bought the game today, installed and updated. Same problem, when I try to start a game I have the message "Error creating new game. Try exiting the program to clear the memory."

Replacing MAP and UNIT data didnt solve the problem.
What are your system specifications?

World in Flames generates the error message your reported and that happens under a wide range of circumstances:

1 - One of the first things the program does to create a new game is to load unit data. Do you see the text "Loading Unit Data"?

2 - Next up is the text "Loading Unit Graphics".

3 - Later you should see "Setting Political Relationships"

4 - And more message get displayed as the program goes through the numerous steps to create a new game. Any information you can provide as to what you see on the screen will help us figure out what the problem is.

Which brings me back to my first question: How much memory does your system have? What operating system are you running?

---

World in Flames does not use DirectX graphics. Instead it uses [the more bland and primative] bitmap graphics. I didn't want the code to rely on Microsoft's ever-changing DirectX graphics routines. DirectX now covers sound and music, so maybe the suggestion to look at the DirectX Diagnostic file might shed some light on the difficulty you are having. However, I have never used it.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Installed as admin on default route. Updated 03 and run as admin, and the same problem. Dxdiag sent toy you (you can post it if it helps). Thanks for your help.
I had couple of more thoughts about this.

Where did you install the game? That is, which file folder on which disk? It is possible that the program (MWIF.exe) is running from a different location than where the various data files are stored.

In keeping with that thought, how do you initiate the program? Are you clicking on a Shortcut?

Other simple checks are:
1 - Do you see the very first opening screen where you can "Check for Updates"?
2 - Can you run any of the videos? [Just see if there start correctly.]
3 - Can you execute Play Game? That should bring up MWIF.exe's opening Splash Screen.
4 - Can you execute any of the Picture and Text Tutorials?
5 - Can you restore a saved game? [Try Barbarossa. It should have a Fast Start saved game.]
Steve

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

report attached, new user so can't do it so i've done it
Attachments
New Text Document.txt
(76.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Display Memory: 11153 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2988 MB
Shared Memory: 8165 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Id: GSM5ABB
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Display Memory: 11153 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2988 MB
Shared Memory: 8165 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Id: GSM5ABB
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Thank you.[&o]

All of this seems normal.

Which brings me back to my other questions in posts #25 and #26 in this thread.

My current best guess is that the program was installed somewhere unusual - separate from all the data files. This could happen if the player put MWIF.exe on the Desktop and had all the other requisite MWIF files in a folder somewhere. The easy way to correct this is to place MWIF.exe in the same folder as the other files and create a ShortCut that points to MWIF.exe. The ShortCut can then be placed on the Desktop (where it will be easy to access).
Steve

cierzo74

Post by cierzo74 »

#25 - New game stops at "loading Land Unit Data"

#26 - 1 - Do you see the very first opening screen where you can "Check for Updates"? Yes, no problem with that
2 - Can you run any of the videos? [Just see if there start correctly.] All play without problem
3 - Can you execute Play Game? That should bring up MWIF.exe's opening Splash Screen. Yes
4 - Can you execute any of the Picture and Text Tutorials? Yes
5 - Can you restore a saved game? [Try Barbarossa. It should have a Fast Start saved game.] No, program crashes

All the files are in the same folder (default route installation), no files apart. I tryed with the shortcut that the install program creates and also with mwif.exe directly
Shannon V. OKeets

#25 - New game stops at "loading Land Unit Data"

#26 - 1 - Do you see the very first opening screen where you can "Check for Updates"? Yes, no problem with that
2 - Can you run any of the videos? [Just see if there start correctly.] All play without problem
3 - Can you execute Play Game? That should bring up MWIF.exe's opening Splash Screen. Yes
4 - Can you execute any of the Picture and Text Tutorials? Yes
5 - Can you restore a saved game? [Try Barbarossa. It should have a Fast Start saved game.] No, program crashes

All the files are in the same folder (default route installation), no files apart. I tryed with the shortcut that the install program creates and also with mwif.exe directly
Okay then.

Land unit data is the problem.

Perhaps it is a language problem? Do you have your Windows operating system set up for English? There may be some characters in the descriptions of the land units that are 'misunderstood' when using a different language.

I know that players have had trouble running MWIF when the Windows operating system language was: Chinese, Japanese, Croatian, or Russian. In those cases the program reported the problem rather cleanly - complaining about a specific character. The difficulty you are having occurs at a different place in the program, but the underlying cause may simply be your computer system's language setting.
Steve

cierzo74

Post by cierzo74 »

Change language and.... problem solved! [&o][&o]

Thanks a lot for your help
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Computers are strange.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Popping back in to update that the language setting was my problem as well. My computer shows everything in English, but my local region setting was showing Japan oddly enough (I bought the mother board in the U.S.). So switching that to English (U.S.) and doing a fresh install fixed the problem and I can play the game again.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Popping back in to update that the language setting was my problem as well. My computer shows everything in English, but my local region setting was showing Japan oddly enough (I bought the mother board in the U.S.). So switching that to English (U.S.) and doing a fresh install fixed the problem and I can play the game again.
Thank you for the feedback. Sorry it took me so long to figure this out.
Steve

Return to “Tech Support”